Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: If I wasn't convinced before...

Quote Originally Posted by arthurdent View Post
    Which is why freestyle wrestling was discontinued. Makes me wonder if HS and college athletics will continue to sponsor the sport since the olympics no longer have it.
    The Olympics dropped baseball & spring training is still going on. The Olympics are a complicated situation and not very reflective of the real world, let's hope they don't help decide what sports we have for kids.
    I wrestled in HS and yes you need a "judge" to award points for what the wrestlers accomplish during a match. By far one of the best controlled,true competition sports around. It is also one of the highest aerobic demand sports I've ever done! Better be in shape or go home.Boxing & swimming along with certain track events share that level of fitness.
    The thing we gig the snowboarders on isn't the difficulty of the sport, it's the wild and crazy appearance they have, looking like non-athlete "snow-hippies", so we don't take them too seriously.I see it as an ok sport if you have the ability to fly down a mtn!
    My larger issue with Olympics is the wide variation in amateurs in one sport, highly paid pros in another. Many Olympic sports are only available to the rich so not representative of what they purport to represent. Some athletes have agents & mega bucks contracts others cannot blow their nose wrong w/o being disqualified. Money & insider politics has tainted the whole thing. I really like some sports but the whole Olympic boo hoo, melodramatic TV thing is over the top & thus I almost never watch the Olympic stuff-my exception is certain track & field events.
    I think we all know what Madden meant in his sorta crude way.
    "If I had my life to live over, I'd dare to make more mistakes next time...I'd relax,I'd limber up... I would take fewer things seriously...take more chances... take more trips...climb more mountains...swim more rivers...eat more ice cream." Jorge Luis Borges at age 85.

Quote Originally Posted by jforgo View Post
    Interesting points about judges and such. Going back to basics, the original Olympics, they stopped all their wars, so everyone could compete. And every competition winner was based on an objective observable reality; time, distance. There wasn't any whining about judges, because there weren't any; just time keepers and measurers. It would seem good to me to go back to basics, the way they were, as then there is little doubt as to fairness (stopping all the killing for a couple weeks seems good too!)
    I think, though, the Jerry Springer Kim Kardashian taught TV generation actually enjoys the drama, innuendo, allegations, grumbling etc having judges brings. I makes for soap opera
    I think even simple races take a judge, at the start and finish....and in between. There have always been judges...if not who said GO or fired the shot (anyone leave early?) and someone stood at the finish line to say who won...they called the photo finishes before there were photos. Imagine same type of whining went on then as now.
    MOA #46783
    2014 R1200RT

I found that placing the tv selector switch in the off position works best for me. Way too much "razamataz" in this ever complicated world we live in today.

I've been watching quite a bit of the winter Olympics - ALWAYS RECORDED ON THE PVR - so six clicks takes me through the commercials. I don't really care which individual (or nation) gets the meddles. What thrills me most is the artistry (figure skating, ice dance simply unbelievable aerial stunts on both skis and snowboards; the skill, speed and endurance of speed skating and cross country skiing.

Much less taken with the slider events where hundredths of a second are the separation - but confess to have watched many of them too.

WE are not likely to change the Olympics. Record the programs (so you can skip the commercials and anything which doesn't appeal to you.) Then watch what does appeal to you. Just as simple (and entertaining) as that.
    Doug
    1992 K100RS

Are we that old

I watched some of the X games, stuff they do with bicycles, and other things I did not as a youth even think about doing. Times change, snow boarding, flips with a motorcycle, all are things old guys are not interested in.

I have an issues with the Olympics, anything judge that you can not explain why one routine is better then the next makes me no watch. I remember judges getting together to keep some county scores down, so they would not metal. To me the judging is like best of show for dogs, how in the hell do you score that.
    Tom
    '84 R100RT '04 CLC(gone) Honda NT700V
    BMW
    Beer Motorcycles Women

Lots of critical comments, surprises me.

Did you watch the US-CDN women's hockey? Reffing was a part of the game but they let them play and those ladies rocked some planet. Even though my country won, in an awesome game, I couldn't help but feel for the US ladies. There was going to be a great winner and a great loser. Unfortunately for the US ladies, the deciding judge happened to be a piece of iron, the goal post.

That game was decided by pure effort and emotion and one perfect play. The entire game was absolutely fantastic to watch and in my most brilliant moments playing the game, there was no way I could compete against something so raw and heartfelt.

Enough bashing the Olympics and let's get on with praising the talent and those moments where you go, "Holy Mother of our Lord, how do they do that? I wish I could!!"

And the CDN women's pair Bobsled team won gold and on a sled built in the bottom of a hotel in Calgary. Wasn't the sled that won. It was the heart.
    1997 R1100RT (Restored Basket Case) , 1981 KZ 440 LTD (Restored Basket Case)
    1986 K75S(the beutch), 1993 K1100RS (blown engine), 1997 Chev Short Box (4x4 with an LT1)
    "You can easily judge the character of a man by how he treats those who can do nothing for him."

Good game! Can't believe the US blew that lead at the end but the Canadians kept battling and our ladies were trying to protect the lead instead of continuing to attack. Didn't like some of the penalties but it was a good game nonetheless. Should be another good game tomorrow.
    R 1200GSA/Triumph T-100

Quote Originally Posted by dieselyoda View Post
    a sled built in the bottom of a hotel in Calgary
    For some reason, I find that to be a really good outcome.
    Cave contents: 99 R11RS, 2013 Toyota Tacoma, 03 Simplicity Legacy, 97 Stihl FS75, Dewalt DW625 & DW744

Positive comments are fun to read.

The US ladies didn't blow the lead. They did exactly the right thing and put five in the middle and force the blue line. I think the goal post, our new national hero and soon to be on all our money was a fortune shift. I can't describe how well both sides played and I can't describe when that puck hit the goal post, everybody in Canada puckered up.

Penalties.................man.................put yourself in the Ref's shoes. They called us on a "slight" in OT then called an "even-up" against the US and had no choice, the last one was clear.

The rumor about the sled is that it was actually built by an immigrant from India who works as a taxi driver. The hotel is pretty close to the Calgary Oly Stads and I stay there about four times a year. I can say for certain that underground parking is full of sleds ready for training. They are pretty cool animals when you look at them closely and somebody with passion explains the dynamics to you.

FYI, in the bar, after you have a few cocktails and see a group of really well built men or women and you chit chat, and they say that they are bobsledders, don't say, "oh, I thought you were all little gay folks?" Costly, very costly.
    1997 R1100RT (Restored Basket Case) , 1981 KZ 440 LTD (Restored Basket Case)
    1986 K75S(the beutch), 1993 K1100RS (blown engine), 1997 Chev Short Box (4x4 with an LT1)
    "You can easily judge the character of a man by how he treats those who can do nothing for him."