Thread: GS 1200 travel across southern Australia

GS 1200 travel across southern Australia

My son is planning to tour across southern Australia and we would appreciate any advice from some of you that have done this.
    Did not find a forum for world travels so I thought I would start here;
    Should we pick up a bike there are ship the 2012 he owns already
    Tips and ?
    Thanks
    Dave

the-oz-slider

Trip across OZ

Lucky him....Im from the North Coast and am presently enjoyed very frosty conditions where I live in Edmonton Canada...it was down to -25 last week.....My suggestions is to hire a bike as its just so much simpler than shipping, although lots of people take their own bike...big thing is having insurance coverage for yourself and the bike even if its still on its US registration. Shipping is simple but your must make sure the bike is absolutely spotless and that the paperwork is perfect, and done in advance. A Oz based broker will be very helpful and well worth the few $ it will cost.
    Otherwise he's a lucky young man and should make the most of it...he may not come back......
    Al

Ozzie Flyer
    Quote Originally Posted by davesbmw View Post
    My son is planning to tour across southern Australia and we would appreciate any advice from some of you that have done this.
    Tips and ?
    Thanks
    Dave
    A few more details please will assist us assist you. Direction of travel ( east/west or west /East), time of year, weeks allotted to travel, starting and finishing points, one up or two up. Suggest he uses australian broker who back loads from US if staying in Australia 3 + months. If shorter suggest rental.
    A few of us , armed with the info above could probably make a GPS route to get the best
    regards
    Paul
    regards
    Paul
    Ozzie Flyer
    BE KIND TO HUMANS... THEY BITE

travel

Quote Originally Posted by pch123 View Post
    A few more details please will assist us assist you. Direction of travel ( east/west or west /East), time of year, weeks allotted to travel, starting and finishing points, one up or two up. Suggest he uses australian broker who back loads from US if staying in Australia 3 + months. If shorter suggest rental.
    A few of us , armed with the info above could probably make a GPS route to get the best
    regards
    Paul
    Thanks been out of town a few weeks.
    He intends to start at Perth and travel east, solo rider with back country dual sport riding experience, camping and Hostels preferred
    May look at purchase and sell bike when done but not sure two to three months. leaving in April if weather looks OK
    Thanks in advance
    Dave

Grampa Tumbleweed

GS 1200 travel across southern Australia

Tips and ?
    Thanks
    Dave
    I was down there in 2001 so my knowledge may be obsolete: It would have been an extremely challenging hassle to bring in a bike. Best bet is for up to two weeks, rent one. If a month or more you might want to do a buy-back deal with a dealer; you also have to get insurance and need an address to get it! Either way you prolly need to end your trip where it started. Good luck, it was my adventure of a life time. I went all the way around OZ, I spent two months there.

Ozzie Flyer
    Thanks been out of town a few weeks.
    He intends to start at Perth and travel east, solo rider with back country dual sport riding experience, camping and Hostels preferred
    May look at purchase and sell bike when done but not sure two to three months. leaving in April if weather looks OK
    Thanks in advance
    Dave
    My recommendation would be to buy a bike and sell it when your finished. One way rentals on a trip from west to east are almost impossible to organise I think.
    The Nullabor will give him plenty of opportunities to duck off for adventure closer to the great australian bight.
    Once he gets to Port Augusta in South Australia he should veer off and do the Flinders ranges, followed by the Clare valley and then Robe coast and great ocean road to Melbourne.
    Sell the bike there and fly home will be easiest and least hassle.
    Regards
    regards
    Paul
    Ozzie Flyer
    BE KIND TO HUMANS... THEY BITE