Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: 2014 RT shopping story

One thing to consider, at least in some states, is the effect on sales tax. In Texas the amount of the trade in is not taxed. The last I knew, it was 6.5% on vehicles although it may have gone up a bit since then. Anyway, if one got $15k in trade that would save $975 in sales tax. Probably not as much as the difference selling it first but $1k for putting ink to paper vs. $2k for dealing with selling it might be worth the difference to some people. YMMV.
    CCC, NRA, OOIDA Life Member
    BMWMOA Member 15945

Update

Got second bid, it's higher...$7,700.00!!! So apparently not the "extreme" I referenced earlier and as VWClassic suggested. That is too much by a long shot, just doesn't fit my reasonableness test of dollar spent to values gained. Of course everyone rationalizes to their own end result. "My" formula: adding 15 additional horsepower (not dyno proven yet), 4 more pounds of torque, more plastic around the windshield area, wet clutch, fancier "dash" and water-cooling, BUT minus any color I really like, lesser lower faring style, more weight, water-cooling (yes, that's a plus and minus for me), wet-clutch (hope its as durable) and being a beta tester, does not equal $7,700 more in entry fees - TO ME.

However, I plan on waving (if in the mood) to all you proud owners of wet heads!
    MOA #46783

Quote Originally Posted by LDB View Post
    One thing to consider, at least in some states, is the effect on sales tax. In Texas the amount of the trade in is not taxed. The last I knew, it was 6.5% on vehicles although it may have gone up a bit since then. Anyway, if one got $15k in trade that would save $975 in sales tax. Probably not as much as the difference selling it first but $1k for putting ink to paper vs. $2k for dealing with selling it might be worth the difference to some people. YMMV.
    Same tax situation here in New Jersey.

So, depending on one's financial situation, some people would just rather have a smooth trade-in to the dealer and take the possible $1,000 " loss" because some just don't want to deal with advertising, and waiting around to show it to some tire kicker that'll offer you 5K less than you advertised, more strangers coming around and eyeing your stuff in your garage, and is that bank check I'm getting from the buyer really good... etc.

Update of update

Update Now being Updated. Damn I hate when this happens. After all I said about reasons not to buy, including such items as: price, possible heat issues, peg issues, beta testing issues, color issues....WELL I JUST COULDN'T HELP MYSELF! Pretty much everything except central locking and alarm...Q-Blue, arrives at dealership mid March. I will be an official beta-tester....how about a group prayer for me and machine.

Yes, it cost some, but again "shopping" does pay off. And as I told my wife..."Dear, this is the last one, I promise." LOL!
    MOA #46783

Good for you!
    Paul
    "Friends don't let friends ride junk!"
    2011 R1200RT

P Monk
    Quote Originally Posted by Motodan View Post
    Yes, it cost some, but again "shopping" does pay off. And as I told my wife..."Dear, this is the last one, I promise." LOL!
    I told my wife the same thing when I bought a 2000 FLHTCU I fell in love with at the Ruidoso Rally. She said. "no that is your twelfth".

I was partly right, it was the last Harley I have owned. Since then an 04 RT, 07 GW, 74 /6, and 09 GS. Still have the last two.

I do like the looks of the new wc RT though. At least in the pictures.
    P. Monk
    My prized possessions. 74 R90/6 Mine! (also know by bride as the Black Hole). 09 R1200 GS. My wife, 1953 model who has survived aplastic anemia and a bone marrow transplant. My most prized possession is my relationship with Jesus!