Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 21

Thread: 2014 RT shopping story

  1. #1
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Midwest
    Posts
    1,272

    2014 RT shopping story

    Not complaining and I do understand new model intros and all.

    Somewhat an exercise in futility, because I'd never get to ride it (wife would shoot me if I bought another bike so soon). However, I recently emailed a dealer about trading my '13 RT for a like equipped '14 model. The dealer is very well known and several states away...I've purchased two bikes from them over the last three years. I have quite a bit of experience in trading and selling bikes...had about a 100 machines in last 50+ years and sold them for a dealer for a while after I retired. So I say what would diff be between my '13 with 2,200 miles and a new '14. '13 listed for $21,8XX when new and '14's MSRP is $22,1XX. Difference $7,300.00! That, my friend, is the biggest difference, however one would like to measure it ($487.00 per horsepower increase, for one), that I can remember in similar situations. I immediately went to the garage, looked at my pristine '13...it never looked so good. Life is good.
    Last edited by Motodan; 02-15-2014 at 01:40 PM.
    MOA #46783
    2014 R1200RT

  2. #2
    Benchwrenching PGlaves's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    "Big Bend" TX
    Posts
    8,764
    Quote Originally Posted by Motodan View Post
    Not complaining and I do understand new model intros and all.

    Somewhat an exercise in futility, because I'd never get to ride it (wife would shoot me if I bought another bike so soon). However, I recently emailed a dealer about trading my '13 RT for a like equipped '14 model. The dealer is very well known and several states away...I've purchased two bikes from them over the last three years. I have quite a bit of experience in trading and selling bikes...had about a 100 machines in last 50+ years and sold them for a dealer for a while after I retired. So I say what would diff be between my '13 with 2,200 miles and a new '14. '13 listed for $21,8XX when new and '14's MSRP is $22,1XX. Difference $7,300.00! That, my friend, is the biggest difference, however one would like to measure it ($487.00 per horsepower increase, for one), that I can remember in similar situations. I immediately went to the garage, looked at my pristine '13...it never looked so good. Life is good.
    It looks like the cliche "it loses 1/3 of its value the day you drive it off the lot" seems true in this case. Yearly traders pay dearly for the privledge with cars - I see not why it is different with bikes. This may be an extreme example, but maybe not.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://www.bigbend.net/users/glaves

  3. #3
    Registered User AKsuited's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    New York State
    Posts
    620
    Quote Originally Posted by Motodan View Post
    I immediately went to the garage, looked at my pristine '13...it never looked so good. Life is good.
    My '03 RT still looks pretty good to me, and one reason why is the low trade-in I'd get for it. Harleys, like it or not, hold their value better than BMW's. One reason is that BMW keeps improving their models, making the older ones less desirable and lowering their trade-in value.

    Harry
    2003 R1150RT - Silver

  4. #4
    Old man in the mountains osbornk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Marion VA-In the middle of some of the best riding in the country.
    Posts
    3,297
    Quote Originally Posted by AKsuited View Post
    My '03 RT still looks pretty good to me, and one reason why is the low trade-in I'd get for it. Harleys, like it or not, hold their value better than BMW's. One reason is that BMW keeps improving their models, making the older ones less desirable and lowering their trade-in value.

    Harry
    I have a friend that found out that high mileage Harleys don't hold their value well and are very hard to sell. He wanted to trade in his high mileage 06 and the BMW dealer would not take it in trade because their wholesale buyer didn't want it. The market is flooded with pristine low mileage Harleys and there is little demand for high mileage ones except at fire sale prices. My friend bought the BMW he wanted and wholesaled the Harley to a Harley dealer at a great loss. He rode the Harley pretty fast on crooked mountain roads but now that he has a R1200RT, he is crazy fast.
    'You can say what you want about the South, but I almost never hear of anyone wanting to retire to the North.

  5. #5
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Midwest
    Posts
    1,272
    You guys all make good points...and Paul, I hope this is an extreme case. I have contacted my current dealer for a bid, will see how extreme that initial bid was/is.
    MOA #46783
    2014 R1200RT

  6. #6
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Northern New Jersey
    Posts
    728
    I guarantee you, his is not an extreme case. High demand=seller's market.

    Remember when the new VW Beetle came out, late 90s? It was just an economy car, but was met with great fanfare and hoopla, and was in high demand. Buyers were paying $5000 over MSRP for one.

    I purchased a one year old RT from a dealer (good probability it's the same dealer the OP doesn't mention) for 25% off the original MSRP. The previous owner traded it in on the purchase of a new GS. (A model, we all know that is also in high demand, it's BMW USA's highest seller) Since we can assume the dealership made some worthwhile money on my purchase, the previous owner took a bath on the trade in.

  7. #7
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Midwest
    Posts
    1,272
    Have to agree at this point. And I think VW is right on the dealer...a dealer I have faith in and respect. However, my experience has typically been...I never know which dealer will be the best bid each time around. I've had trades (same trade/same new purchase model) range $3,000.00 from dealer to dealer in a one week period. I always inquire with same three primary dealers (sometimes a couple more) when I trade or purchase outright. One dealer is usually the same third best bid each time, but the other two are always surprising me regarding their bid.

    I'm a minimum 125 miles from any dealer (700 miles from the "extreme" offer dealer), so traveling to trade isn't an issue...in fact it's part of the "fun"...though the fun cost $400 - $500 more getting there and back. Lot of variables: do they already have someone looking for the model I'm trading, do they have three of the same model on their floor to sell, is it a "brand new" model or do they need cash to meet payroll that week...all makes a difference.

    After getting that "extreme" offer I've tried to decide if I really even care to trade. I like the idea of: 15 extra horses, new gauge set up and possible better radio. However, I'm not overly fond of what they did to the headlight, color choices, lack of color contrast on engine and additional weight. And some concern over unknowns at this point, such as: How much heat the liquid cooled system might generate and where it exits on the fairing, seat height in relation to peg placement (my knees, please)...even with an eventual peg lowering kit and being a first year model (beta-tester).

    Oh well, all the fun of "winter-months motorcycle shopping".
    MOA #46783
    2014 R1200RT

  8. #8
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Northern New Jersey
    Posts
    728
    I agree with all you say Dan, and I think the winter has us thinking too much and not riding enough - or at all in my case- since on top of our 12 inches of snow we got 15 more and then a day later 2 more.

    Good idea to let the dust settle on the new model introduction and see what people say about it both pro and con. I share your initial concerns about the bike and would include the loss of the "lower fairing" which kind of makes it look unfinished. I wonder when the aftermarket will offer a solution for "only" $1500 or so.....but I was also one who thought they ruined the RT when they changed from the beautiful 1150 to the 1200 in '05 but my initial horror did subside and eventually went away.

  9. #9
    Survivor akbeemer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Land of the Big Sky
    Posts
    4,001
    My family has its roots in northern New Jersey. I moved my 93 year old aunt out of there a year ago. She could not survive while having to pay the fuel and property taxes. Much about that area to like, but it is overwhelmed by the expenses. Spring is coming, the skies will clear, birds will sing and wheels will turn.
    Kevin Huddy
    Tm Pterodactyl MT Outpost

  10. #10
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Midwest
    Posts
    1,272
    Quote Originally Posted by ClassicVW View Post
    I agree with all you say Dan, and I think the winter has us thinking too much and not riding enough - or at all in my case- since on top of our 12 inches of snow we got 15 more and then a day later 2 more.

    Good idea to let the dust settle on the new model introduction and see what people say about it both pro and con. I share your initial concerns about the bike and would include the loss of the "lower fairing" which kind of makes it look unfinished. I wonder when the aftermarket will offer a solution for "only" $1500 or so.....but I was also one who thought they ruined the RT when they changed from the beautiful 1150 to the 1200 in '05 but my initial horror did subside and eventually went away.
    Kind of like the fairing on '94 models...with and without lower portion...though the '14 does provide lower leg and foot protection.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Motodan; 02-16-2014 at 06:50 PM.
    MOA #46783
    2014 R1200RT

  11. #11
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Lansing, Kansas
    Posts
    256
    Quote Originally Posted by Motodan View Post
    Kind of like fairing on '94 models...with and without lower portion...though the '14 does provide lower leg and foot protection.
    So ... are you asking for a vote on which of these pictured bikes we like the best?????

    If yes, I vote for the red, less-covered up model.
    Royce
    On the coast of Kansas
    2012 F800ST

  12. #12
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Midwest
    Posts
    1,272
    Quote Originally Posted by royce View Post
    So ... are you asking for a vote on which of these pictured bikes we like the best?????

    If yes, I vote for the red, less-covered up model.
    No, not unless you want. Just using as an example of styling. Appears indicative of 20 year old styling cues in reverse. Going from more lower fairing to less as of late. Won't take much less lower fairing to get the '14 RT to a '14 RS model.
    MOA #46783
    2014 R1200RT

  13. #13
    Cowboyatheart
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Pender Harbour, B.C.
    Posts
    575
    Quote Originally Posted by Motodan View Post
    Not complaining and I do understand new model intros and all.

    Somewhat an exercise in futility, because I'd never get to ride it (wife would shoot me if I bought another bike so soon). However, I recently emailed a dealer about trading my '13 RT for a like equipped '14 model. The dealer is very well known and several states away...I've purchased two bikes from them over the last three years. I have quite a bit of experience in trading and selling bikes...had about a 100 machines in last 50+ years and sold them for a dealer for a while after I retired. So I say what would diff be between my '13 with 2,200 miles and a new '14. '13 listed for $21,8XX when new and '14's MSRP is $22,1XX. Difference $7,300.00! That, my friend, is the biggest difference, however one would like to measure it ($487.00 per horsepower increase, for one), that I can remember in similar situations. I immediately went to the garage, looked at my pristine '13...it never looked so good. Life is good.
    Hi Mototdan,

    The dealers go by the book on trade-ins, you can get up to $2000 more by selling personally. They have to make money on both your old bike, and the new bike, otherwise why bother?

    I am looking at trading in my 2008RT; they offered me 8 to 10K depending on time of year and "condition of my bike". They assume farkles are worth nothing.

    I can sell my bike, did research as to equivalent year and mileage models with various dealers, Craigslist, Buy and Sell, AutoTrader, etc, and it appears as if they are usually listed in the $12k to 14K range. So I expect to sell personally, not trade-in, and get the extra $$$ into my pocket to help cover the costs of a new GS.

    BTW, to give you perspective, I won a 2011 Lexus IS350C in a lottery - brand new. But the lottery had purchased the car; so it would be a transfer of ownership from them to me. about 30km on the odometer. This is a $60k car (in Canada MSRP). I asked what they would do for a trade-in, before I even picked it up from the dealer. They told me they would give me $42k for it, because it was considered used. This was in 2011, and it was a brand new car; off the same dealer's lot.
    Neil
    Want to be happy for a day? Drink. Want to be happy for a year? Get married. Want to be happy for life? Ride a BMW!
    www.TasteMoringa.com Smart Mix & XM3 Energy Drink are the puppies to view...IMO

  14. #14
    Registered User Anyname's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Portsmouth, NH
    Posts
    735
    Quote Originally Posted by AKsuited View Post
    My '03 RT still looks pretty good to me, and one reason why is the low trade-in I'd get for it. Harleys, like it or not, hold their value better than BMW's. One reason is that BMW keeps improving their models, making the older ones less desirable and lowering their trade-in value.

    Harry
    In my area, Craig's List is full of used Harleys selling a highly depreciated prices. I'd say supply is running well ahead of demand. Some BMWs don't seem to do all that well on the used bike market (K bikes) but R series BMWs seem to be holding their value fairly well.
    BMW R bike rider, horizontally opposed to everything...

  15. #15
    Registered User AKsuited's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    New York State
    Posts
    620
    Quote Originally Posted by Anyname View Post
    Some BMWs don't seem to do all that well on the used bike market (K bikes) but R series BMWs seem to be holding their value fairly well.
    Thanks for that info. And as Neil above mentioned, I should sell my RT before going to the dealer for a new bike.

    Harry
    2003 R1150RT - Silver

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •