Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Web site front page

Quote Originally Posted by 36654 View Post
    Dennis,

You repeat a commercial and make some peripheral/obtuse comments. Another member offers an observation about the products in the store. In response you call him argumentative. That doesn't seem productive.

Let me offer a recent anecdote;

My wife and I stopped at the Woolrich factory store a while back to buy a pair of shoes. Woolrich quit US clothing production in the 1990's. Personally, I was disappointed by this since I was raised in that area. However, clothing is a business built on low wages and Woolrich followed that mold. The wives worked there, while the husbands worked at a better job. In any case, my wife was wearing a Woolrich coat she had purchased from an on-line discounter. It's a nice coat and the check-out person complimented her on the coat. Although she shouldn't have, my wife told the check-out person that she purchased the coat from a known discounter at a price 15% lower than the in-store price. To which, the check-out clerk responded......"How do you know it's a genuine Woolrich product"?

Out in the parking lot, I told my wife..............."We might not have a genuine Chinese/Thai/Bangladesh-made Woolrich coat" and laughed.
    I'll add my 2 cents for what its worth....first I agree with the opinion above on who is being argumentative and who is just replying to a posted thread. Thanks for pointing out the obvious.
    Secondly, as a retired auto worker (Chrysler) who has never bought into the "Buy American at all costs", I feel the consumer should buy the best value for the money they are willing to spend for an item. That's what drives improvement in company process, and provides for a higher standard of living for everyone in the country. It took the auto industry a long time to acknowledge the fact that they were building junk, and foreign competition provided a better value for the American consumer dollar. And they finally responded by building better quality and value. So now if you find a product that is American made, has the best quality and value on the market place, and is the right price for your situation, then buy American. However, if a foreign product provides a better return, then buy foreign. After all, we as a country are one of the largest exporters of products in the global world, (and lots of jobs depend on a healthy export climate) so we should expect our consumers to be world class shoppers, looking for the best bargain. And I've always felt it a bunch of hooie that we don't feel Americans can compete with the world on many products. We just have to look at the business equation differently, and adjust. That doesn't necessarily mean sweat shop labor practices and wages......

Old man in the mountains osbornk's Avatar
    Marion VA-In the middle of some of the best riding in the country.
    Quote Originally Posted by 71243 View Post
    Isn't Walmart the one that now sells so many "Made in China" products?
    It's getting less so, I think. I needed a headlight bulb for my R1200CLC and went to Walmart to get one since my closest dealer is about 100 miles away. I found the H4 bulb and was shocked to find that it was made in Germany and was identical to the one I had previously bought at the BMW dealership at a considerably higher price.
    'You can say what you want about the South, but I almost never hear of anyone wanting to retire to the North.

Quote Originally Posted by osbornk View Post
    It's getting less so, I think. I needed a headlight bulb for my R1200CLC and went to Walmart to get one since my closest dealer is about 100 miles away. I found the H4 bulb and was shocked to find that it was made in Germany and was identical to the one I had previously bought at the BMW dealership at a considerably higher price.
    OSRAM which owns the Sylvania line sold at Walmart is a German company

http://www.osram.com/osram_com/
    Cave contents: 99 R11RS, 2013 Toyota Tacoma, 03 Simplicity Legacy, 97 Stihl FS75, Dewalt DW625 & DW744

Quote Originally Posted by weschmann View Post
    Secondly, as a retired auto worker (Chrysler) who has never bought into the "Buy American at all costs", I feel the consumer should buy the best value for the money they are willing to spend for an item...
    Few in our society will be as altruistic as you. When pressed, everybody will wave the "Buy American", "Energy Independence" or "Family Farmer" flag to protect their personal interests from the free market. However, it has been interesting to see which groups have remained within public favor and which have been thrown from the boat during the past 30 to 40-yrs. If we honestly based our decisions on consumer value, the US Navy would buy their ships from Hyundai.......

I do standby my previous post. Many consumer and industrial products are now too cheap for US production unless technology radically reduces the per item manpower cost. New/better systems and their components produced with the latest technology is our only hope for retaining jobs at better pay scales than in China or India. But, for that to happen, everyone from Wall Street to the employees will need to see the value in domestic production.
    Cave contents: 99 R11RS, 2013 Toyota Tacoma, 03 Simplicity Legacy, 97 Stihl FS75, Dewalt DW625 & DW744

36654, it would seem that some feathers of yours are ruffled for whatever reason. I am NOT arguing, I just pointed out that perhaps a trend is developing in at least marketing. Make of it what you please..............God bless.........Dennis

Quote Originally Posted by 36654 View Post
    Few in our society will be as altruistic as you.

I do standby my previous post. Many consumer and industrial products are now too cheap for US production unless technology radically reduces the per item manpower cost. New/better systems and their components produced with the latest technology is our only hope for retaining jobs at better pay scales than in China or India. But, for that to happen, everyone from Wall Street to the employees will need to see the value in domestic production.
    36654, great reply. I figured I'd get slammed against the wall as being anti-American labor for my comments.... Although I agree that there are many products that will never re-shore back to the U.S. such as in the garment industry, there are many items that may qualify for movement back to the U.S., and manufacturers have been building business cases to support landed cost vs. domestic manufacturer. A ground swell, no, but the leaks are starting in the dam. Supply chain length coupled with shipping costs are driving the train now.
    As far as altruistic, I would not accept that as a label for my position. Assuming world governments can keep from blowing each other up, global trade will continue to increase, and we cannot expect to sell our widgets or harvests, or innovation to a world market without expecting to open our consumer markets to world products. It helps keep us on our toes, and protects the consumer from not having any choice but a poor choice. Then, it's up to the individual consumer to make his or her own choice of product, based on their research or experience. If they don't wish to research a purchase before buying, then let the buyer beware......

Quote Originally Posted by weschmann View Post
    36654, great reply. I figured I'd get slammed against the wall as being anti-American labor for my comments.... Although I agree that there are many products that will never re-shore back to the U.S. such as in the garment industry, there are many items that may qualify for movement back to the U.S., and manufacturers have been building business cases to support landed cost vs. domestic manufacturer. A ground swell, no, but the leaks are starting in the dam. Supply chain length coupled with shipping costs are driving the train now.
    As far as altruistic, I would not accept that as a label for my position. Assuming world governments can keep from blowing each other up, global trade will continue to increase, and we cannot expect to sell our widgets or harvests, or innovation to a world market without expecting to open our consumer markets to world products. It helps keep us on our toes, and protects the consumer from not having any choice but a poor choice. Then, it's up to the individual consumer to make his or her own choice of product, based on their research or experience. If they don't wish to research a purchase before buying, then let the buyer beware......
    If protectionism worked, the old Soviet Union would still be around. However, in order to compete in the world economy you need to decide what kind of team you want to be on. For the last several decades, we seem to be of the opinion that no one is involved with any thing as mundane / quaint as manufacturing. Somehow money is created and people buy really expensive houses that always increase in price. What they do to earn that money appears to be a mystery. We are master consumers with minimal connection to the creation and fabrication of products.

Well, if BMW decides to offer an updated 75/? Or 90/? In the same vein as the Triumph Scrambler with updated controls, ignition, brakes and still an airhead with greatly simplified maintenance I will mail the check tomorrow! A new Toaster would be great!!
    John

2011 BMW R1200 GSA

Quote Originally Posted by 71243 View Post
    I wish BMW would go back to building reliable, dependable BMW motorcycles as opposed to clones too other designs.

Yes I know it is a business decision to "keep-up" with the "trends"....and yes I know I'm wrong from a business point of view . I'm just venting .....
    There was a time when BMW was the leader in quality.
    I you must copy, do good job. Make it better than than what your coping.
    MT helmet
    [COLOR=Red]NO ONE ELSE ADMITS IT[FONT=Courier New]