Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 24

Thread: Web site front page

  1. #1
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    926

    Web site front page

    I wish BMW would go back to building reliable, dependable BMW motorcycles as opposed to clones too other designs.

    Yes I know it is a business decision to "keep-up" with the "trends"....and yes I know I'm wrong from a business point of view . I'm just venting .....
    Ron Prior {AMA member 30+ years,MOA member 20+years}
    Milford,Oh
    2002 KLT
    2004 Roadster

  2. #2
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Lansing, Kansas
    Posts
    257
    Quote Originally Posted by 71243 View Post
    I wish BMW would go back to building reliable, dependable BMW motorcycles as opposed to clones too other designs.

    Yes I know it is a business decision to "keep-up" with the "trends"....and yes I know I'm wrong from a business point of view . I'm just venting .....
    Presume you are talking about the fictional S1000F that might be a concept bike???? Yes, I am not a fan either, but neither am I the target audience. Since I am not in the market for ANY new bike, I am not bothered by the various concept bikes displayed around by the media. Any bike that I might someday buy is already on the showroom floor somewhere, and already has years and miles of owner/rider experience to support my someday purchase decision.
    Royce
    On the coast of Kansas
    2012 F800ST

  3. #3
    No longer a member here
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    1,432
    I don't think that reliability and diversification in styles are mutually exclusive. The design department isn't responsible for any model's reliability. Although I am far from a fan of dual sport riding and will avoid any surface that doesn't have superp grip and traction ( I hate to ride in the rain), the S1000F is attractive to me. If they decide to put a decent pillion seat on it, I would even be tempted to take it for a test ride.

  4. #4
    na1g
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Greater Bahstin, Massachusetts
    Posts
    840
    At least BMW has a wide range of model types - two kinds of twins, two kinds of fours - which form the bases for all the derivative models. The Ducati Multistrada seems like a worthy target for BMW. And with Ducati, all their bikes are out of the same V-twin mold.

    pete

  5. #5
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    1,021
    The bottom line is that any company has to offer what appeals and sells, in order to make a profit. These new designs are what BMW feels it needs to produce to stay in business. I can't fault them for that.

    What I see though, is that there was a time when BMW had it own unique style of bike, and its own purpose for riding. The Japanese had bikes that appealed to the general public as they caught on, and made a name for themselves. BMW kept producing BMW's. The Euro bikes, Triumph, Norton and BSA were the sort of "sport bikes" with oil leaks and terrible dealer networks. BMW kept producing BMW's. Then there were the Harleys. Rattle, vibrate, and lots of chrome. Appealed to the Hell's Angels and the men who liked to be "American."

    But, if BMW kept on making their usual motorcycles, they probably wouldn't have survived.

    So.. even though what appeals to me are those older BMW's that were ugly, but they were smooth and ran long distances, I still don't criticize BMW from trying to produce these newer styles. And in order to survive, BMW has to make what appears to be selling. They don't appeal to me, but to others . . .?
    "The difference between death and taxes is that death doesn't change every time congress meets." - Will Rogers

  6. #6
    No longer a member here
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    1,432
    It is the sign of the times. All manufacturers want to capture all the business possible and want to offer a product for everyone, no matter what the preference is. When I was a kid, Porsche was a maker of sports cars. Now they make sports cars, a four door sedan and two SUV models. And they talk about getting into....I don't even want to go there....
    I just hope Ferrari never comes out with a Pick-up truck

  7. #7
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    1,021
    What I hate, and what seems to capture most of the American market, is the marketing of a product. Instead of selling a product on its real merits, most companies now-a-days employ marketing firms where the advertising gimmick is used to sell the product, not the product itself. I am not singling out any particular brand here, or even any one product. The key to selling is marketing, marketing marketing, and advertising gimmicks.

    In the early days, Honda cars were pretty pitiful, but they had great marketing. To their credit, however, the didn't just keep producing below standard cars, but actually improved them and have earned the reputation of being one of the best made cars on the market. Agree or not, that is the perception. Now, for them, it is not just marketing, but product.

    Take the American car manufacturers. They had pretty much a captive market and could design and produce and sell most any car, good or not. Americans were used to them. Then came the Japanese. Competition. But the competition kept improving. American cars increased marketing while product actually got worse. They were successful only because after WWII, Americans had a one-track mind: American, American, American. So, we kept buying the American cars. Now with the proven success of the foreign competition, and the fact that people were buying for reliability, the American companies had to change or go under. They actually did improve their products. But the competition kept improving as well. Recently, I saw that now American companies are slipping again in the last few years.

    For me, personally, I still don't care how ugly, old, not popular a product is, it is its dollar value (reliability, longevity, and personal satisfaction) that I want.
    "The difference between death and taxes is that death doesn't change every time congress meets." - Will Rogers

  8. #8
    #4869 DennisDarrow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Sugar Valley, Ga
    Posts
    1,110
    The marketing slogan "Made in America" is what really got Walmart cookin. Those old enough to remember those days saw Walmart as just another dime store. Then they did the "Made in America" a company policy and truly marketed it. This was in the days of "Buy American" was more than just a slogan; but a political movement. Folks were just beginning to see manufacturing capacity move away from these shores and that something needed to be done............

    Now, here we are folks..........Am surely NOT amazed that Walmart is beginning to bring out that slogan/oulook once again. Hmmmm.....who is the president of their "Board of Directors".....perhaps not only this club; but this country could benefit from that leadership............God bless...........Dennis

  9. #9
    Old man in the mountains osbornk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Marion VA-In the middle of some of the best riding in the country.
    Posts
    3,297
    I decided I wanted a BMW back in 1970 because a classmate rode one to school all winter. I wanted it because it was different from all of the other motorcycles of the day. It had a boxer twin, dry clutch and shaft drive. Many of today's BMWs are like many other motorcycles with vertical twins, transverse multiple cylinders, water cooling, chains/belts, wet clutches, etc. It's like BMW finally admitted that the Japanese designs and technology were superior and they gave in. Many of the new BMWs seem to be like Japanese bikes with more gadgets.

    I know BMW had to change to survive but I miss the BMW that was truly different.
    'You can say what you want about the South, but I almost never hear of anyone wanting to retire to the North.

  10. #10
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    926
    Quote Originally Posted by osbornk View Post
    I decided I wanted a BMW back in 1970 because a classmate rode one to school all winter. I wanted it because it was different from all of the other motorcycles of the day. It had a boxer twin, dry clutch and shaft drive. Many of today's BMWs are like many other motorcycles with vertical twins, transverse multiple cylinders, water cooling, chains/belts, wet clutches, etc. It's like BMW finally admitted that the Japanese designs and technology were superior and they gave in. Many of the new BMWs seem to be like Japanese bikes with more gadgets.

    I know BMW had to change to survive but I miss the BMW that was truly different.


    My point exactly!
    Ron Prior {AMA member 30+ years,MOA member 20+years}
    Milford,Oh
    2002 KLT
    2004 Roadster

  11. #11
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    926
    Quote Originally Posted by DennisDarrow View Post
    The marketing slogan "Made in America" is what really got Walmart cookin. Those old enough to remember those days saw Walmart as just another dime store. Then they did the "Made in America" a company policy and truly marketed it. This was in the days of "Buy American" was more than just a slogan; but a political movement. Folks were just beginning to see manufacturing capacity move away from these shores and that something needed to be done............

    Now, here we are folks..........Am surely NOT amazed that Walmart is beginning to bring out that slogan/oulook once again. Hmmmm.....who is the president of their "Board of Directors".....perhaps not only this club; but this country could benefit from that leadership............God bless...........Dennis


    Isn't Walmart the one that now sells so many "Made in China" products?
    Ron Prior {AMA member 30+ years,MOA member 20+years}
    Milford,Oh
    2002 KLT
    2004 Roadster

  12. #12
    Registered User 36654's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Central PA
    Posts
    1,796
    Quote Originally Posted by 71243 View Post
    Isn't Walmart the one that now sells so many "Made in China" products?
    In 1983, I paid $19.99 per pair for US made Levi's at Sears. In 2013, a a pair of Wranglers (Made in Honduras, I believe) costs $15.79. In 2013 dollars, the 1983 Levi's would cost $46.76.

    If someone is making jeans in the US today and they cost less than $46.76, then either the employee or the employer is making less money than they did in 1983........
    Last edited by 36654; 02-15-2014 at 12:44 PM.
    Cave contents: 99 R11RS, 2013 Toyota Tacoma, 03 Simplicity Legacy, 97 Stihl FS75, Dewalt DW625 & DW744

  13. #13
    Registered User 36654's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Central PA
    Posts
    1,796
    Quote Originally Posted by osbornk View Post
    I decided I wanted a BMW back in 1970 because a classmate rode one to school all winter. I wanted it because it was different from all of the other motorcycles of the day. It had a boxer twin, dry clutch and shaft drive. Many of today's BMWs are like many other motorcycles with vertical twins, transverse multiple cylinders, water cooling, chains/belts, wet clutches, etc. It's like BMW finally admitted that the Japanese designs and technology were superior and they gave in. Many of the new BMWs seem to be like Japanese bikes with more gadgets.

    I know BMW had to change to survive but I miss the BMW that was truly different.
    When no one knows who you are........you're just another face in the crowd.
    Cave contents: 99 R11RS, 2013 Toyota Tacoma, 03 Simplicity Legacy, 97 Stihl FS75, Dewalt DW625 & DW744

  14. #14
    #4869 DennisDarrow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Sugar Valley, Ga
    Posts
    1,110
    Quote Originally Posted by 71243 View Post
    Isn't Walmart the one that now sells so many "Made in China" products?
    Surely NOT to start one of the urinary flow contests that are so rampant here by the "I am expert at all" bunch here. Just going by in the past what made Walmart so successful and that now, I have seen several commercials of them touting themselves as "American" and the huge number of manufacturing jobs that they will be creating over the next few years...........If you MUST make something personal or agumentative of that....Go right ahead....God bless........Dennis

  15. #15
    Registered User 36654's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Central PA
    Posts
    1,796
    Quote Originally Posted by DennisDarrow View Post
    Surely NOT to start one of the urinary flow contests that are so rampant here by the "I am expert at all" bunch here. Just going by in the past what made Walmart so successful and that now, I have seen several commercials of them touting themselves as "American" and the huge number of manufacturing jobs that they will be creating over the next few years...........If you MUST make something personal or agumentative of that....Go right ahead....God bless........Dennis
    Dennis,

    You repeat a commercial and make some peripheral/obtuse comments. Another member offers an observation about the products in the store. In response you call him argumentative. That doesn't seem productive.


    Let me offer a recent anecdote;

    My wife and I stopped at the Woolrich factory store a while back to buy a pair of shoes. Woolrich quit US clothing production in the 1990's. Personally, I was disappointed by this since I was raised in that area. However, clothing is a business built on low wages and Woolrich followed that mold. The wives worked there, while the husbands worked at a better job. In any case, my wife was wearing a Woolrich coat she had purchased from an on-line discounter. It's a nice coat and the check-out person complimented her on the coat. Although she shouldn't have, my wife told the check-out person that she purchased the coat from a known discounter at a price 15% lower than the in-store price. To which, the check-out clerk responded......"How do you know it's a genuine Woolrich product"?


    Out in the parking lot, I told my wife..............."We might not have a genuine Chinese/Thai/Bangladesh-made Woolrich coat" and laughed.
    Cave contents: 99 R11RS, 2013 Toyota Tacoma, 03 Simplicity Legacy, 97 Stihl FS75, Dewalt DW625 & DW744

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •