Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Fuel pump recall??

Quote Originally Posted by dbrick View Post
    I suppose the bike's value might theoretically go down, but I don't want to now spend time addressing this for no difference in the bike. As a genuine safety issue, like the early Snowflake wheels, it's likely the recall will be open-ended and the bike could be presented to a dealer at any time.

Meh.
    David - ALL "recalls" are open-ended. I got a new throttle cable for my '85 K bike for free about 12 years after the recall was issued.. A service campaign can be ended by a manufacturer, recalls are forever.
    Don Eilenberger http://www.eilenberger.net
    Spring Lk Heights NJ NJ Shore BMW Riders New Sweden BMW Riders
    '07 R1200R (current ride) and some bimmers.. and a Porsche

a bit off topic

Don, et al.,

Is anyone considering replacing the OEM quick disconnects with the stainless steel beemerboneyard ones while this service/recall is done or care to comment on this idea?

two birds one stone. Thanks

John

Several of us have replaced both sides of those fittings...some had the flange fail and contributed it to the thread used on the aftermarket kits...that now seems to just be a causal factor in the failed design and just sped the failure up.

One word of caution however, do not tighten the aftermarket tank side fitting mega-tight...snug is good with the sealant provided. A few found out differently.

We have 5 models with that fuel pump assy...three have rings and aftermarket fittings...and many miles since. The other two will visit the dealer for the check. The other three have no signs of cracking, just proactive way back.
    Steve Henson
    SABMWRA MOA Club#62's Flat Fixer/ current forum moderator
    It's not the breaths you take, but the moments that take your breath away-D.Dillon/G. Strait

Quote Originally Posted by JayElDee View Post
    Don, et al.,Is anyone considering replacing the OEM quick disconnects with the stainless steel beemerboneyard ones while this service/recall is done or care to comment on this idea?
    I added the BB metal QDs when I bought my bike, but deliberately did not change the plastic fitting that screws into the plastic pump boss; that fitting is still in place. My thought was the plastic pump boss was neither cracked nor leaking, and my removing and replacing the fitting could well crack the boss or cause it to leak. I think I just didn't feel confident that I'd be able to gauge the appropriate torque for the reinstall. Others have removed it successfully, but I didn't. YMMV.

The reinforcing ring I installed (like the BB piece, but from a source on ADV rider) fit over the plastic fitting and didn't require its removal.
    David Brick
    Santa Cruz CA
    2007 R1200R

Is anyone considering replacing the OEM quick disconnects with the stainless steel beemerboneyard ones while this service/recall is done or care to comment on this idea?
    I would replace the male end of the QD while the tank is off.
    I did not replace the female end on our bikes for fear of cracking the flange, plus I have not heard of any failures of the female end.
    Lee 2011 K1300S
    MOA # 30878
    Past BMW Bikes, 2003 K1200RS, 1991 K75S, 1987 K75T, 1984 R100RT

Don, et al.,

John
    That was my original plan and reason for ordering the QDs.
    Marty - in the western Oregon mountains.'06RT, (gone '04RT, '86 Venture Royal, '81 Yamaha Virago920, '82Suzuki GS1100GK, '76 Suzuki GT750, Triumph 750 Bonneville, BSA Road Rocket 650, 61" Harley knucklehead)

Quote Originally Posted by Lee View Post
    I would replace the male end of the QD while the tank is off.
    I did not replace the female end on our bikes for fear of cracking the flange, plus I have not heard of any failures of the female end.
    It's the female end that has been cracking where it screws into the top of the pump flange.
    Marty - in the western Oregon mountains.'06RT, (gone '04RT, '86 Venture Royal, '81 Yamaha Virago920, '82Suzuki GS1100GK, '76 Suzuki GT750, Triumph 750 Bonneville, BSA Road Rocket 650, 61" Harley knucklehead)

Quote Originally Posted by mpmarty View Post
    It's the female end that has been cracking where it screws into the top of the pump flange.
    The fuel pump flange is cracking not the female half of the QD.
    Lee 2011 K1300S
    MOA # 30878

So now the question among those of us who ARE going to get the recall work done is: should I get it done right away, and be one of the 1st that the mechanic has seen, or wait a few months, so he/she has more experience with the fix?
    Hershey, PA
    IBA# 41,645
    2006 BMW R1200RT "Pacific Coast II"

Quote Originally Posted by C172MyP51 View Post
    So now the question among those of us who ARE going to get the recall work done is: should I get it done right away, and be one of the 1st that the mechanic has seen, or wait a few months, so he/she has more experience with the fix?
    From the pictures I've seen, spotting the cracks in the fuel pump flange should be easy.
    If the fuel pump assembly needs to be replaced, I'm guessing this job is not difficult.

If they only add a metal collar to the flange, I know this job is not difficult because I've done it to both of our bikes.
    Lee 2011 K1300S
    MOA # 30878

Quote Originally Posted by mpmarty View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee View Post
    The fuel pump flange is cracking not the female half of the QD.
    The recall addresses the cracking problem of the fuel pump flange.

Over the years - predating the Hexheads - there have been many reports of plastic QDs failing; that's why many riders change them for metal ones. QD fractures are almost always on the male half of the QD. On my '07 R, a female-half QD is what's screwed into the fuel pump flange.
    David Brick
    Santa Cruz CA
    2007 R1200R

Don, et al.,

John
    I would think this is a good plan. I replaced all my fittings at once with the BB ones, and added the compression ring to the fuel pump flange at the same time (there were no signs of cracking on the flange, but this has rarely - if ever - been reported on the R1200R, I suspect because of the routing of the fuel line coming out of the flange - it does directly to a solid mounted fuel filter.)

When I installed the female fitting into the flange, I first used the sealant (a semi-liquid) that BB provided with the parts. I checked for leaks before solidly remounting the tank on the bike, and sure enough I had a weeping around the flange threads. I removed it and used Teflon tape - a very thin layer - on the fitting, reinstalled it - snugged it up (not terribly tight at all) and no more leaks.

It has been disassembled a few times since I did this for new fuel strips - and no problems at all.

At a minimum, I would want to replace ALL the male fittings - they've been known to break off the male end (ouch!).. I have also heard of a few fittings which broke on the barbed part that goes into the rubber hoses - so there is a case to be made for replacing both male and female. BMW now offers a metal male end for the fittings as a replacement part, so apparently they've actually seen a bit of light. Too bad the recall didn't include replacing those at the same time.
    Don Eilenberger http://www.eilenberger.net
    Spring Lk Heights NJ NJ Shore BMW Riders New Sweden BMW Riders
    '07 R1200R (current ride) and some bimmers.. and a Porsche

Quote Originally Posted by deilenberger View Post
    I have also heard of a few fittings which broke on the barbed part that goes into the rubber hoses - so there is a case to be made for replacing both male and female.
    Yep, on our K1200RSs both the male and female QD had a barb that slippied into the fuel line. In this case I replaced both the male and female QDs with metal BB QDs..
    Lee 2011 K1300S
    MOA # 30878

Quote Originally Posted by deilenberger View Post
    Too bad the recall didn't include replacing those at the same time.
    I agree, this has been a problem for many years.
    Lee 2011 K1300S
    MOA # 30878

more on QDs

Thanks for the collective wisdom.
    These would be the ones, correct?
    http://www.beemerboneyard.com/cpcqkdiscr12r.html

Thanks