Thread: Another Boot Question

Another Boot Question

Having just purchased a pair of new boots, I'd like to use some "Neats Foot Oil" to soften them up a bit. Anyone know if that may be incompatible with the "Goretex" liner?

Thanks,
    Mike
    "To be a Virginian either by birth, marriage,adoption, or even on one's mother's side, is an introduction to any state in the Union, a passport to any foreign country, and a benediction from the Almighty God."

Not incompatible from a will-it-melt-the-liner standpoint, but it might tend to "clog" the pores in the Gortex that makes it breathable. I take it that the outers are leather, yes?
    "It is what you discover, after you know it all, that counts." _ John Wooden

Lew Morris
    1973 R75/5 - original owner

Yes, Imo1131, the outers are leather, mostly. The boots are BMW. The closing flaps are plastic of some kind.
    But that's a good thought about the oil clogging the goretex mesh. Thank you. Mike
    "To be a Virginian either by birth, marriage,adoption, or even on one's mother's side, is an introduction to any state in the Union, a passport to any foreign country, and a benediction from the Almighty God."

I have. Pair of HD FXRG boots for about 6 year plus now and they are leather with gore tex. I use leather polish on them and it keeps them nice and watertight. Hardly scientific evidence admittedly but the fact that water does not find its way in either riding or hiking says at least something. I am not promoting the boot as much as treatments that maintain the leather and seem to help with waterproofing in some way.

Quote Originally Posted by ppaintguy View Post
    ...I use leather polish on them and it keeps them nice and ...
    Leather polish? As in the stuff that makes shoes/boots shiny? If that is what you are talking about, why do you want to keep your hiking/riding boots shiny? Just asking cuz I can't imagine a reason.
    Royce
    On the coast of Kansas
    2012 F800ST

why do you want to keep your hiking/riding boots shiny?
    Pride of ownership? Extend longevity?

In all fairness, he didn't say "shiny". I operate my heavy equipment and polish my White's work boots every week; it keeps mud and water from penetrating and drying out and cracking the leather, and keeps the leather pliable.

Most shoe care products are labeled "polish" and that's what we colloquially call the stuff. And most contain carnauba wax and will become shiny to some extent. I use Huberds Shoe Grease (which contains beeswax) on my boots; total waterproofing and some shine too, which helps keep crap from sticking to them. I paid $475 for my boots and I'd like to have them for a while.

Huberd's darkens some types of leather so you'd want to test a hidden section if it makes a difference to you.
    "It is what you discover, after you know it all, that counts." _ John Wooden

Lew Morris
    1973 R75/5 - original owner

Thank you and shine is not a very high priority so much as longevity, waterproofing, mild scuff protection and yes pride of appearance. Owning a GS doesn't require a round the world appearance to ride around town, I am sure that even the most hardcore world tourers can sometimes appear clean and tidy in public and with clean gear haha.

Cleaning equipment and gear just as with the bike itself can help to identify flaws and damage earlier. Besides gear is expensive, why not look after it and make it last?