Thread: Rear wheel specs

dennisemanuel

Rear wheel specs

Hi guys and gals I'm Dennis the Burmese guy just joined just got my dream bike 2012 gtl kinda disappointed about the klunky shifting mostly 1st and 2nd found that preloading the shifter helps . My latest findings is my rear wheel has 3 bumps .045 almost 120 deg apart towards the tire .And it's only on the drive side the right side of the bike is ok .005 out avg spoke to my dealer and they said it was within specs 1.5 mm for radial runout . Any thoughts ? Dennis

dennisemanuel

Cool rear wel specs EDIT

Quote Originally Posted by dennisemanuel View Post
    Hi guys and gals I'm Dennis the Burmese guy just joined just got my dream bike 2012 gtl kinda disappointed about the klunky shifting mostly 1st and 2nd found that preloading the shifter helps . My latest findings is my rear wheel has 3 bumps .045 almost 120 deg apart towards the tire .And it's only on the drive side the right side of the bike is ok .005 out avg spoke to my dealer and they said it was within specs 1.5 mm for radial runout . Any thoughts ? Dennis
    Hi Guys, forgot to mention I had a flat piece of glass went sliced my tire about 1/2 close to the middle had 14lbs of air when I was out of a tunnel and able to pull to the shoulder. You guys think its possible that tire machine could have caused the rim to be egg shape? I can't figure how one side of the wheel is straight and the other side which just happens to be the side they mounted down on the tire machine is bent out? I got a minus reading on my indicator when mounted on the inside of the rim meaning its bent towards the outside.Come on some of you guys must have a mag base indicator takes about 10 minutes to check runout on both sides. I suspect you guys will find your rims under .015 inches or half a millimeter. THANKS DENNIS

"At this point what difference does it make?" (I think Abe Lincoln said that)

On a serious note Dennis, welcome to the forum! At this point you know that you have a bent rim, so the task at hand would be to straighten it, correct?
    I would think that a pneumatic tire machine that "grabs" the rim would possibly bend it, yes.
    I've never straightened one, but have sent them off to have them straightened, and they come back with reportedly virtually no run out.
    Obviously, having a bent rim will lessen tire mileage, and effect handling & rideability.

Ken
    IBA #44567
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    -Albert Eienstein