Thread: load capacity - 2013 R1200RT

load capacity - 2013 R1200RT

I read that the load capacity of my 2013 is roughly 520 pounds. Can someone tell me if that is in addition to the paniers and topcase or includes the cases. Thanks.
    Bill
    Last edited by deilenberger; 02-14-2014 at 05:37 AM. Reason: added year/model to thread title

2013 what? RT? GS? If it comes standard with the panniers like a RT or K1600GT then it would be 520 lbs in addition the cases. On a GS or GSA where they are add ons the panniers would count at part of the 520 lbs you could add.
    Rusty
    Austin, TX
    Two Wheeled Texans
    2009 R1200GSA

sorry, RT

It's an RT. Just trying to figure if riding two up, how much can I have in addition to a set of camping gear.

Bill,
    ex of Denton, TX

in the case of my 2013 R1200RT the "maximum payload" is 511 lbs with the OEM suspension....take from that my sorry fat ATGATT butt of 240lbs, my Beautiful Pillion's slight ATGATT of 150lbs and that leaves 121lbs of extra payload...the RT comes with the panniers but NOT the top box....!!!

this can all change with the upgrade to better shocks setup for your riding style and anticipated payload....i did Wilbers from Ted Porter's Beamer Shop...best $$$ spent on my RT....

wyman
    2013 R1200RT - Sassy - Fluid Grey Metallic
    2002 V-Strom DL1000 - sold
    2008 KLR650 - sold

Quote Originally Posted by wwalton View Post
    It's an RT. Just trying to figure if riding two up, how much can I have in addition to a set of camping gear.

Bill,
    ex of Denton, TX
    Bill - now we need one more bit of info - the year of your RT? Please read: http://www.bmwmoa.org/forum/showthread.php?46055 - the better the question you ask the better the answer you'll get. Please post the year of your RT and I'll add it to the thread title.
    Don Eilenberger http://www.eilenberger.net
    Spring Lk Heights NJ NJ Shore BMW Riders New Sweden BMW Riders
    '07 R1200R (current ride) and some bimmers.. and a Porsche

We ride a 07 RT. When fully loaded (camp gear, clothes) for 2 weeks and fully fueled, the RT weighs 700 pounds. We do not use the top case when camping(it weighs to much and holds little), we use a dry bag mounted to a home made tail rack with a back rest. PR 3B tire on the rear. Russell seats help. Shock from Works set up for our combined ATGATT weight of 420lb.
    700+420=1120 GRVW 1120-1091Permitted total weight=29lb overweight
    We ride about 8,000 miles a year this way. The RT is perfect for us. 600 miles a day of super slab is normal. We stay in hotels along the way, then camp at our destination. Ultra lite camping and cooking gear is a must. Not being a clothes horse helps.
    Tony
    We're not here for a long time
    We're here for a good time HUEY LEWIS

2007 R1200RT, 2003 F650CS

thanks all

appreciate your time. This will help out the planning for our April trip. I normally camp and travel solo and don't really consider weight. When we're two up it's usually motels but we're traveling through Georgia and they seem to have a lot of beautiful state parks.

Quote Originally Posted by wwalton View Post

Bill,
    ex of Denton, TX
    Bill - added to the thread title. Thanks.
    Don Eilenberger http://www.eilenberger.net
    Spring Lk Heights NJ NJ Shore BMW Riders New Sweden BMW Riders
    '07 R1200R (current ride) and some bimmers.. and a Porsche