Thread: Free State Maps and Travel Guides

Free State Maps and Travel Guides

With many riders traveling from out of state to visit the great state of Minnesota and to attend the Rally, I thought I would post a few links here that you may find useful.

I know many of you travel and navigate by GPS, however I still feel the best way to plan a trip is with a paper map(s) spread out on the table or floor. I also bring paper maps with me even if I am using my GPS. I like to look at the map in the morning with my coffee, sometimes finalizing the days route right then.

Here is a link to a site that list the links to free maps of every state. Many of them have other free publications such as travel guides.

http://www.heyitsfree.net/free-state-maps/

To make it easier to get to the states that may be of the most interest for this years rally I offer;

Minnesota - http://www.exploreminnesota.com/publ...rder-form.aspx

Wisconsin - http://www.travelwisconsin.com/order-guides

Iowa - http://www.traveliowa.com/travelGuide

Order your maps now and they will arrive in your mailbox while there is still snow covering the ground. Then use a few hours looking them over and planning this summers adventures.

Steve Handeland
    2014 BMW MOA Rally Hospitality Co-Chair

Raspberry waffles Bob!!! kewlmoose's Avatar
    Thanks, the Minnesota info will be great for rally trip planning. :-)
    82 R65LS - gone but not forgotten
    02 R1150RT
    "Oh good, my dog found the chainsaw"
    "I finally got my head together, now my body is falling apart."

Thanks for the link.

It took 3 working days to receive my map package.The bicycle map has lots of small roads highlighted. The ATVentures show which trails allow motorcycles. The Travel Guide showcases the local flavor. Good Stuff!

free maps

great post.
    gottem all!
    fun to start looking at them while it's still 20 degrees here.

Thanks!

Howard

Thanks a lot. I love maps!
    keep it light enough to travel.....
    '04 R1150RT
    '81 Honda CB650 Custom

I love maps, always have. I like to spend cold winter days or nights looking at maps and planning summer trips and rides. With this years rally 3 miles from home I thought the least I could do is share this site with the rest of you. I can't believe i used to buy maps at gas stations, duh.
    Steve

I got my Wisconsin info last week. Minnesota and Iowa are not as quick to send info. FYI, the Wisconsin state park system requires an admission pass to get into their parks and a reservation fee also if anyone plans on camping. A one night camp spot could easily cost 30 bucks. Anyone know about Minnesota, Missouri or Iowa?
    '04 R1150RT
    '81 Honda CB650 Custom

Quote Originally Posted by 2bikemike View Post
    I got my Wisconsin info last week. Minnesota and Iowa are not as quick to send info. FYI, the Wisconsin state park system requires an admission pass to get into their parks and a reservation fee also if anyone plans on camping. A one night camp spot could easily cost 30 bucks. Anyone know about Minnesota, Missouri or Iowa?
    Minnesota also has this rotten permit system. Missouri does not. I do not know about Iowa.
    You may want to look at State Forest Campgrounds. They have less amenities, such no showers. No permit needed and some are in very nice places.

Steve

It can get worse- where they want an extra $6 or $8 for a second bike if a couple or pair are riding and camping together. We have ridden away from state parks where the fee for a tent site for 1 night was hitting $32 or $34 (or more). We have encountered this in ND, MN, and WI.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://www.bigbend.net/users/glaves

I received the Minnesota and Iowa info in the last couple of days. Both are packed with touristy info but no maps. Kind of a let down. Wisconsin info is a lot more informative about roads and camping spots, as well as fees.
    '04 R1150RT
    '81 Honda CB650 Custom

I received the Minnesota and Iowa info in the last couple of days. Both are packed with touristy info but no maps.
    Try this number for a free Iowa map.

You can order a Free folded Iowa Highway Map mailed to you, (you can request other literature and maps mailed also see below) by calling 1-800-345-4692.

Try this link for a Minnesota map. http://www.dot.state.mn.us/statemap/
    In the upper left click on Order One Free Map
    Lee 2011 K1300S
    MOA # 30878
    Past BMW Bikes, 2003 K1200RS, 1991 K75S, 1987 K75T, 1984 R100RT