Thread: Light, bright, breathable rain jacket

Hybrid View

Light, bright, breathable rain jacket

Maybe I am asking for the impossible - but you never know until you ask.

I have a several year old Fieldsheer two piece rain suit. While the pants are still great, the jacket developed zipper problems. Since the jacket also has a front Velcro closure, I didn't have the zipper replaced. This jacket also has to function as gear for fishing as well as riding in the rain. On a fishing trip in a downpour, I found the shoulders and arms of my jacket were soaked - NOT caused by the bad zipper.

My Rev'it suit came with a rain liner, but I hate to use it for summer showers when the weather can either turn hot and sunny in minutes or else become a downpour. So I like the idea of a light, easily packable rain jacket for both riding and fishing. And I like a bright color to make me more visible in low visibility riding conditions. (I don't ride at night, so reflection is not a consideration.) Breathability would be a plus, but lowest on my priorities. Price is not a major factor.

Your suggestions?
    Doug
    1992 K100RS

http://www.gore-tex.com/products/men...paclite-shell/

Page after page of light-weight gore-tex shells. Something to look at, anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by marchyman View Post
    http://www.gore-tex.com/products/men...paclite-shell/

Page after page of light-weight gore-tex shells. Something to look at, anyway.
    Thank you, marchyman. The variety and prices sort of take my breath away. I was thinking $100 should get me what I need and want, but appreciate your post.
    Doug
    1992 K100RS

Frogg-Toggs.
    Bob Weis
    '04 K12RS - Hannigan Hack
    www.earplugco.com

WNY, Further fron NYC, than 6 entire states!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobmws View Post
    Frogg-Toggs.
    What he said, they make a white and bright yellow. I would never use anything else for an over suit.
    2010 F800GS Full Ohlins package, '04 R1100S Replika
    '01 F650GS Wife's bike
    Maritime Alps and Vosges 2012
    Tuscany and Central Italy 2010

RK Ryder
    I called around to local safety supply stores. Found a breathable neon green/yellow work rain jacket and pants, a couple of sizes larger than my norm, for slipping over the riding gear. I think the jacket was $59 or $69 (Open Road 150D Rip Stop by Alliance Mercantile Inc. - Montreal). Bib pants might have been a bit more (same company, Viking Journeyman 3000). Besides being a rain suit, it doubles as a wind breaker over my mesh riding gear in cooler temperatures. It rolls down smaller than my Motoport rainer liners, but I doubt as small as a Frogg-Toggs suit.
    Paul
    Retired and riding my RTs, the '87 K100 & the '98 R1100 !
    Treasurer of the Forest City Motorrad Club #159
    Knights of the Roundel #333

Rocky Bow BMW Riders #197 bogthebasher's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BCKRider View Post
    Maybe I am asking for the impossible - but you never know until you ask.

I have a several year old Fieldsheer two piece rain suit. While the pants are still great, the jacket developed zipper problems. Since the jacket also has a front Velcro closure, I didn't have the zipper replaced. This jacket also has to function as gear for fishing as well as riding in the rain. On a fishing trip in a downpour, I found the shoulders and arms of my jacket were soaked - NOT caused by the bad zipper.

My Rev'it suit came with a rain liner, but I hate to use it for summer showers when the weather can either turn hot and sunny in minutes or else become a downpour. So I like the idea of a light, easily packable rain jacket for both riding and fishing. And I like a bright color to make me more visible in low visibility riding conditions. (I don't ride at night, so reflection is not a consideration.) Breathability would be a plus, but lowest on my priorities. Price is not a major factor.

Your suggestions?
    Have you looked at Mountain Equipment Co-op? They carry many products with brand name and their own lines at lower cost. They have really great guarantee and return policies if products don't work the way you would like. I use them an lot for layering clothing for both bicycling and motorcycling. And they are always close to a bicycle or transit routes.
    Ken
    [2008 R1200RT (Biarritz Blue) - Mine]
    [2007 R1200RT (Sand Biege) - Hers]