Thread: Eagle Rider Self Guided Tour Originating in Billings, MT

BMWMOA# 182127

Eagle Rider Self Guided Tour Originating in Billings, MT

My wife and I are considering taking a self guided tour of the Yellowstone area offered by EagleRider. This may be quite a trip since the first week we will be taking a guided tour via bus of Yellowstone, and the following week heading out on our own for a week with a rented bike. Wife says no camping, just 4-star hotels every night--LOL. We've ridden 2-up on a couple of trips lasting several days and feel that we want a little longer trip while experiencing an entirely new area.

I'm interested in whether anyone with an interest in this region has any prior experience with renting bikes from EagleRider's Billings location. Likewise, if you've taken one of their self guided tours, please let me know how things went. Since we'll be flying to the area, and staying in hotels for the first week with another tour, I'm thinking about shipping our gear to a hotel in Billings so we can have our own stuff (ATGATT) for the ride. Would be interested to know whether anyone has had success shipping gear to a hotel for a bike tour.

This summer should be a hoot if these plans pan out. Any advice anyone can share would be much appreciated.

I can't imagine a week on a guided bus tour! Not something I would ever sign up for. I prefer the independence to explore on my own.
    Larry
    Midnight Blue 2013 BMW R1200RT (purchased 9/24/2013)
    2010 Harley Road Glide (gone after 61,964 miles)
    2001 Harley Electra Glide (gone after 138,048 miles)

BMWMOA# 182127
    Ugh, I was hoping for a little more constructive feedback from this august group. However, I understand the sentiment.

Yellowstone is a gigantic park with many different and interesting areas. I can see the value, especially if this is your first visit, to doing it by a tour.

While I have no experience with EagleRider, the area has lots of great roads, beautiful scenery and should be a a lot of fun. Do you have any additional info on where the self guided tour will take you? Time of year is important, too. Last time we rode in Yellowstone we had temps hitting the 90's every afternoon. We tried to ride in the morning, drink plenty of morning, and enjoy air conditioning and a good meal when it was really hot.

Good luck.
    Dan

BMWMOA# 182127
    This map depicts the suggested general area for the self guided route. I understand that the elevation can greatly influence the day-to-day experience. Its interesting that your experience was so consistently warm.

Thanks for the words of encouragement. A lengthy fly-and-ride will be a first for me.

Yellowstone Self Guide.jpg

Day 1: Billings Arrival
    0 mi / 0 km
    Day 2: Billings - Sheridan
    130 mi / 209 km
    Day 3: Sheridan - Cody
    150 mi / 242 km
    Day 4: Cody - West Yellowstone
    180 mi / 290 km
    Day 5: West Yellowstone
    0 mi / 0 km
    Day 6: West Yellowstone - Bozeman