Thread: The day the music died

The day the music died

....or so it is called. 55 years ago today Buddy Holly,Richie Vallens & The Big Bopper...died in a plane crash in Iowa.

I liked their music....did not / do not, know or care about their politics.....

R.I.P.
    Ron Prior {AMA member 30+ years,MOA member 20+years}
    Milford,Oh
    2002 KLT
    2004 Roadster

na1g
    All were in the early stages of what were sure to be long careers. It's great to hear their music where you can find it on the radio (Sirius/XM 50's) And listen to Don McLean's "American Pie" for his tribute.

pete

Course, on a slightly happy note, my mom's birthday is today... and yes, she did read the papers the day the music died.

Quote Originally Posted by arthurdent View Post
    Course, on a slightly happy note, my mom's birthday is today... and yes, she did read the papers the day the music died.

Happy birthday to you Mother..
    Milford,Oh
    2002 KLT
    2004 Roadster

No longer a member here
    There used to be show on TV, called "Quantum Leap". Sci-Fi. The main character made travel through time and ended up somewhere and had to complete a task. He never knew what task, but somehow he came to it. When he did - poof - he went back to his time.
    One episode he ends up somewhere in a rural area in the mid-west. He has no idea what kind of problem he has to solve. He is there several days or weeks until one day he runs into the kid of the family he is staying with who sits on the porch of the farm-house and strums his guitar. A small pig is roaming in front of him and the kid tries to put some words to the melody he is playing.
    And all he can do is singing the name of the pig; "Piggy, oh piggy sue". The time traveler then tells him: "Try Peggy, Buddy, try Peggy!" Poof -he is gone!

Not a fan of Don McLean. I like the song The Day The Music Died and even have Buddy Holly on my iPod, but McLean and his crew no. They played at the Military Academy in the 70s. They trashed the locker room they were given as a dressing room and painted anti-military slogans of the day on the lockers. Not my kinda guy.

Thankfully, Waylon Jennings was not on the flight with the others as he might have expected to be. We would have been cheated out of many years of his music as well.
    Kevin Huddy
    Intrepid Incompetent
    Tm Pterodactyl MT Outpost

Quote Originally Posted by akbeemer View Post
    Not a fan of Don McLean. I like the song The Day The Music Died and even have Buddy Holly on my iPod, but McLean and his crew no. They played at the Military Academy in the 70s. They trashed the locker room they were given as a dressing room and painted anti-military slogans of the day on the lockers. Not my kinda guy.

Thankfully, Waylon Jennings was not on the flight with the others as he might have expected to be. We would have been cheated out of many years of his music as well.

Isn't he [Jennings] the one? who gave up his seat to Big Bopper?

Didn't know that about McLean..thanks for sharing...& shame on him!
    Milford,Oh
    2002 KLT
    2004 Roadster

3 Red Bricks
    Correct.

J.P. "The Big Bopper" Richardson, who was affected by the flu, swapped places with Waylon Jennings, taking the latter's place on the plane, while Tommy Allsup lost his place to Ritchie Valens on a coin toss. Dion DiMucci (of Dion and the Belmonts fame) decided not to board the plane for the $36 fee.

LONG MAY YOUR BRICK FLY!

Ride Safe, Ride Far, Ride Often

Lee Fulton Forum Moderator
    3 Marakesh Red K75Ss
    Mine, Hers, Spare

Quote Originally Posted by EMSimon View Post
    There used to be show on TV, called "Quantum Leap". Sci-Fi. The main character

The main character was Scott Bakula.

fwiw
    Ambassador BMW MOA Ontario Canada
    President Niagara BMW Riders #298
    Knights of the Roundel #333
    1977 R100RS, (Retired) 1993 R100GS (just getting started)

Quote Originally Posted by Darryl Cainey View Post
    The main character was Scott Bakula.

fwiw
    Sort of. The main character was Dr. Sam Beckett played by Scott Bakula.
    Jeff in W.C.
    1988 R100 RT (the other woman)
    "I got my motorcycle jacket but I'm walking all the time." Joe Strummer

What's that noise...? basketcase's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 98lee View Post
    Correct.

J.P. "The Big Bopper" Richardson, who was affected by the flu, swapped places with Waylon Jennings, taking the latter's place on the plane, while Tommy Allsup lost his place to Ritchie Valens on a coin toss. Dion DiMucci (of Dion and the Belmonts fame) decided not to board the plane for the $36 fee.

Interesting bit of history. Thanks.
    '98 BMW Z3 Roadster, '00 R1100RT

If you insist on exercising a right to burn our flag, first be so kind as to wrap yourself in it and then douse yourself with gasoline just before you strike the match.

The plane came in because the tour bus the performers were using had no heat...in early February. Currently it's 8 below here in central NE and colder in Storm Lake IA. I'd have opted for the plane, too.