Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Closed thread

The moderators are the ones that must read the posts. They are the ones that can not choose to ignore a thread. They are the ones that must make the judgment call of what actions to take when a member flags a post as maybe over the top.

These the POSTING GUIDELINES they have been given to work with.
    What in the guidelines would you change?
    Why and to what end?
    How would you word the change?
    How would you enforce the change?
    Pass the mustard and UP THE REVOLUTION!

St. Paul Pioneer Press , Minneapolis Star Tribune

Quote Originally Posted by osbornk View Post
    I think this would be a good approach. You could also move threads that get out of hand there and members could go there at their own risk. Any thread that the moderators think should be closed or deleted could go there. That way, we wouldn't have to wonder what happened.
    If my memory is right a couple year ago they had a Don't go there thread and there was for awhile a thread for No holds bared that did last long.

Don
    1975 R90/6, 1980 and 1982 R65, !959 TR3A Triumph Car

Quote Originally Posted by donbmw View Post
    If my memory is right a couple year ago they had a Don't go there thread and there was for awhile a thread for No holds bared that did not last long.
    Don -

You do remember correctly. Steve discussed all that is this nice post within this thread:

http://www.bmwmoa.org/forum/showthre...l=1#post921664
    Kurt -- Forum Administrator ---> Resources and Links Thread <---
    '78 R100/7 & '69 R69S & '52 R25/2
    mine-ineye-deatheah-pielayah-jooa-kalayus. oolah-minane-hay-meeriah-kal-oyus-algay-a-thaykin', buddy!

I can understand if a thread gets too salty, it might get closed down.
    But on the other hand, people pay good money to watch a good fight.
    So sometimes the salty exchanges are the best part.
    So let's just trade the insults. That we don't mean.
    And let others trade the compliments. That they don't mean.
    dc

3 Red Bricks
    Quote Originally Posted by David13 View Post
    But on the other hand, people pay good money to watch a good fight.
    So sometimes the salty exchanges are the best part.

dc
    I joined the MOA. NOT the MMA!

Take it outside.

LONG MAY YOUR BRICK FLY!

Ride Safe, Ride Far, Ride Often

Lee Fulton Forum Moderator
    3 Marakesh Red K75Ss
    Mine, Hers, Spare

Quote Originally Posted by 98lee View Post
    I joined the MOA. NOT the MMA!

Take it outside.

Or said another way...if you do not like the topic...you wait outside by not opening the thread & then complaining about what is being discussed....
    Ron Prior {AMA member 30+ years,MOA member 20+years}
    Milford,Oh
    2002 KLT
    2004 Roadster

3 Red Bricks
    Quote Originally Posted by 71243 View Post
    Or said another way...if you do not like the topic...you wait outside by not opening the thread & then complaining about what is being discussed....
    Or said another way... If you don't like the Posting Guidelines...you don't come inside and ignore them. You go to where the rules match how and what you want to discuss.

Last edited by 98lee; 02-05-2014 at 03:25 AM.
    LONG MAY YOUR BRICK FLY!

Ride Safe, Ride Far, Ride Often

Lee Fulton Forum Moderator
    3 Marakesh Red K75Ss
    Mine, Hers, Spare

Or said another way... If you don't like the Posting Guidelines...you don't come inside and ignore them. You go to where the rules match what and how you want to discuss.

+1
    Kevin Huddy
    Tm Pterodactyl MT Outpost

Seems pretty clear to me.

Voni
    sMiling
    http://www.bigbend.net/users/glaves/
    Live fully. Laugh deeply. Love widely.
    BMW MOA Ambassador / FOM / Roving Forum Moderator/
    Selected Friends of Wile E Coyote/ A Million BMW sMiles

My take...

Interesting that the "last straw" post was actually rather witty (we can always use more of that) but, for sure, it was also mean. (Implied but not stated - "the only good communist is a dead communist.")

I don't believe it was only POLITICS that caused the mod's to end this thread but rather the "un-civil" language from several posters. I found it interesting that Pete Seeger was once a communist. Equally interesting that he shortly avowed that position. Nothing wrong with the information and counter information. (I stand with those who believe this forum doesn't have to be about nothing but motorcycles.) I am all for differing opinions, politely stated, and when required - reasons for those opinions. But PERSONAL confrontation SHOULD be off limits. If you think the person with an opposing view to yours is an idiot - demonstrate that fact with better information or argument - not a personal attack.

Quote from an earlier post: "I also frequent a certain motorcycle forum based in the UK. I was blown away by their civil discussions on politics and religion. Many different views, and everyone keeps it very civil. What all too frequently happens on most forums is it devolves into ugliness and hard feelings." Be interesting to visit that forum if the person I quoted could provide it.

Meanwhile, I support the current MOA position of banning discussion of religion, abortion, and firearms. As others have pointed out, SO MANY topics have political overtones that banning "politics" really isn't totally viable on this forum. When these topics/arguments come up and your dander rises, PLEASE REMEMBER TO ATTACK THE IDEA RATHER THAN THE PERSON WHO ESPOUSES IT. Then, the discussion may not be terminated.
    Doug
    1992 K100RS

A lot of us aren't very good at this.

Sorry, but like most things, education and training are required.

A couple things ...

Nothing (zero, zip, nada) about simply being a motorcyclist makes you an expert on "freedom" in a political science context.

The concept "if you don't like it, don't read it" is inane and about as indicative of lack of education as it gets. Life is about effect, and little about intent. Are ya gonna use a racial epithet in the wrong situation and tell those sensitive to that that if they don't like it don't listen? Sorry, but you're mistaken if you think you're "free" to say anything you want. Always and anywhere. You've got more learning to go.

It's just motorcycles here is the best approach.
    Kent Christensen
    '12 R1200RT, '02 R1100S, '84 R80G/S

Quote Originally Posted by lkchris View Post
    And oil; don't forget oil.
    Kevin Huddy
    Tm Pterodactyl MT Outpost

Quote Originally Posted by lkchris View Post
    A lot of us aren't very good at this.

Sorry, but like most things, education and training are required.

A couple things ...

Nothing (zero, zip, nada) about simply being a motorcyclist makes you an expert on "freedom" in a political science context.

The concept "if you don't like it, don't read it" is inane and about as indicative of lack of education as it gets. Life is about effect, and little about intent. Are ya gonna use a racial epithet in the wrong situation and tell those sensitive to that that if they don't like it don't listen? Sorry, but you're mistaken if you think you're "free" to say anything you want. Always and anywhere. You've got more learning to go.

I don't like to think I am a stupid person, but I just can't understand that post. Could ikchris perhaps clarify what he is trying to communicate?
    Doug
    1992 K100RS

Or said another way... If you don't like the Posting Guidelines...you don't come inside and ignore them. You go to where the rules match how and what you want to discuss.

Those "rules" you talk about weren't on the 10 commandment tablets of stone. They can be changed. I try to abide by them (in spite of the fact that some get by with preferential treatment), but sometimes one has to speak up.

The second problem is that the "rules" are interpreted by the mods, and certainly their interpretations are not without bias. Who saying what matters.
    "The difference between death and taxes is that death doesn't change every time congress meets." - Will Rogers

Quote Originally Posted by jimmylee View Post
    Those "rules" you talk about weren't on the 10 commandment tablets of stone. They can be changed. I try to abide by them (in spite of the fact that some get by with preferential treatment), but sometimes one has to speak up.

The second problem is that the "rules" are interpreted by the mods, and certainly their interpretations are not without bias. Who saying what matters.
    Quote Originally Posted by mika View Post
    The moderators are the ones that must read the posts. They are the ones that can not choose to ignore a thread. They are the ones that must make the judgment call of what actions to take when a member flags a post as maybe over the top.

These the POSTING GUIDELINES they have been given to work with.
    What in the guidelines would you change?
    Why and to what end?
    How would you word the change?
    How would you enforce the change?
    Throwing stones while having a bit of a rant or trying to build a community?

Pass the mustard and UP THE REVOLUTION!

St. Paul Pioneer Press , Minneapolis Star Tribune