Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 146

Thread: Closed thread

  1. #16
    Outlander Omega Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Mansfield,MA
    Posts
    6,387
    OK guys, to get this back to a discussion of the posting guidelines- Try to think of it like driving on the road. There are rules like staying in your own lane, stop signs and speed limits. You agreed to pretty much follow these rules when you signed up for your license. In the "larger picture" these rules are to keep everyone moving in the same direction and help prevent chaos.
    Here on the Forum, it's the same thing and way back when you first signed up, you agreed to follow the Posting Guidelines.
    It is nothing about "free speech" or anything that makes things miserable- you still can't yell "fire" in a movie theater.
    Let's try to spend as much time as we can making the Forum an enjoyable, fun, relevant and informative place to visit.
    Gary
    "Well they say.. time loves a hero but only time will tell.. If he's real, he's a legend from heaven If he ain't he was sent here from hell" Lowell George
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200
    Part of the Forum Threadside Assistance Program

  2. #17
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Midwest
    Posts
    1,224
    Okay I think we should have a $25.00 fine when hyphens aren't used correctly Two or more hyphenation violations within a month brings a suspension However there will be no fines for leaving out any other punctuations Okay BTW Im kidding
    '14 RT gone - '15 RT coming - '13 RT filling the interval
    MOA #46783

  3. #18
    Survivor akbeemer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Land of the Big Sky
    Posts
    3,891
    I think the only thread that has not devolved into members sniping at each other is the Word Association thread, and some of the words over there are getting a bit cantankerous.
    Kevin Huddy
    Intrepid Incompetent
    Tm Pterodactyl MT Outpost

  4. #19
    Outlander Omega Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Mansfield,MA
    Posts
    6,387
    Quote Originally Posted by Motodan View Post
    Okay I think we should have a $25.00 fine when hyphens aren't used correctly Two or more hyphenation violations within a month brings a suspension However there will be no fines for leaving out any other punctuations Okay BTW Im kidding
    Could we get extra credit or some sort of special dispensation when a smart phone incorrectly corrects our spelwring?
    "Well they say.. time loves a hero but only time will tell.. If he's real, he's a legend from heaven If he ain't he was sent here from hell" Lowell George
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200
    Part of the Forum Threadside Assistance Program

  5. #20
    God? What god? roborider's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Posts
    2,061
    Quote Originally Posted by 71243 View Post
    ....then we were told we could not discuss it any further........
    I used to get upset we didn't have an area to say what we wanted to say, uncensored. But when I compare this forum to others, it is nice just not to discuss those topics that quickly, and always, devolve into uncivil arguments. One can always PM a person and discuss topics offline, as some have done with my comments in the past.

    If this were a general forum, fine. But this is a motorcycle forum; keeping it more focused and civil is a good thing.

    Discussing politics, religions, guns, etc., is about as useless and tactless on a forum as correcting another poster's grammar.
    Rob C. , Raleigh, NC
    '10 R12RT, R90/6
    2007 CBR600RR & 09 V-Star
    Suzuki DR 350

  6. #21
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    855
    Quote Originally Posted by roborider View Post
    I used to get upset we didn't have an area to say what we wanted to say, uncensored. But when I compare this forum to others, it is nice just not to discuss those topics that quickly, and always, devolve into uncivil arguments. One can always PM a person and discuss topics offline, as some have done with my comments in the past.

    If this were a general forum, fine. But this is a motorcycle forum; keeping it more focused and civil is a good thing.

    Discussing politics, religions, guns, etc., is about as useless and tactless on a forum as correcting another poster's grammar.


    Obviously I disagree, why is it [wrong]? to be interested in the views / opinions of seemingly like minded people [common bond of motorcycles etc.] on a particular issue ? And while I understand the [PM] idea, it is then a one on one discussion, and another interested may miss out on a point, or a chance to make a valid point? And that might be just the point that we may learn from. Or clear some /all confusion.
    Ron Prior {AMA member 30+ years,MOA member 20+years}
    Milford,Oh
    2002 KLT
    2004 Roadster

  7. #22
    God? What god? roborider's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Posts
    2,061
    I admit, Ron, that I vacillate on this point.

    I think the problem is "uncivil" behavior. And I would not say I think you are "wrong." It usually degrades into name calling and insults, rather than a polite discussion of controversial topics. I would support a "no holds barred" area, un-moderated (well, within reason, you can't keep physical threats posted, etc.), for all topics. But the board has chosen this way, and I think it is "OK" as well.

    But I do agree threads should NOT be closed. I think that if a post is out of line, THAT post should be deleted, the poster warned, and the thread left to continue. Closing threads really bugs me.

    Keep in mind there is a survey going, and you can give your thoughts to the board there.

    Best,
    Rob
    Rob C. , Raleigh, NC
    '10 R12RT, R90/6
    2007 CBR600RR & 09 V-Star
    Suzuki DR 350

  8. #23
    Certifiable Old Fart beemerdons's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Chandler, AZ
    Posts
    715
    Quote Originally Posted by roborider View Post
    I admit, Ron, that I vacillate on this point.

    I think the problem is "uncivil" behavior. And I would not say I think you are "wrong." It usually degrades into name calling and insults, rather than a polite discussion of controversial topics. I would support a "no holds barred" area, un-moderated (well, within reason, you can't keep physical threats posted, etc.), for all topics. But the board has chosen this way, and I think it is "OK" as well.

    But I do agree threads should NOT be closed. I think that if a post is out of line, THAT post should be deleted, the poster warned, and the thread left to continue. Closing threads really bugs me.

    Keep in mind there is a survey going, and you can give your thoughts to the board there.

    Best,
    Rob
    +1, Gunny; I truly appreciate your wise "Common Sense" approach to this issue Rob, closing threads really bugs me too (big time!).
    Don Stanley; aka Chuy Medina "El Burrito Ballerina"
    BMWMOA #24810; www.azbeemers.org/forum #89

  9. #24
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Midwest
    Posts
    1,224
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega Man View Post
    Could we get extra credit or some sort of special dispensation when a smart phone incorrectly corrects our spelwring?
    Sertonly!
    '14 RT gone - '15 RT coming - '13 RT filling the interval
    MOA #46783

  10. #25
    Old man in the mountains osbornk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Marion VA-In the middle of some of the best riding in the country.
    Posts
    3,278
    Quote Originally Posted by roborider View Post
    I would support a "no holds barred" area, un-moderated (well, within reason, you can't keep physical threats posted, etc.), for all topics. But the board has chosen this way, and I think it is "OK" as well.
    I think this would be a good approach. You could also move threads that get out of hand there and members could go there at their own risk. Any thread that the moderators think should be closed or deleted could go there. That way, we wouldn't have to wonder what happened.
    'You can say what you want about the South, but I almost never hear of anyone wanting to retire to the North.

  11. #26
    Benchwrenching PGlaves's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    "Big Bend" TX
    Posts
    8,653
    There are a few thousand places on the internet where you all are free to preach or yell at each other regarding drugs, addiction, sexuality, politics, religion, guns, or whatever you want. But on this BMW motorcycle fourm this is all just pollution. Please go pollute someplace else.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://www.bigbend.net/users/glaves

  12. #27
    Survivor akbeemer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Land of the Big Sky
    Posts
    3,891
    In Alaska we referred to Maui as the southern part of the state. In the MOA we refer to ADV Rider as the no holds barred, un-moderated area.
    Kevin Huddy
    Intrepid Incompetent
    Tm Pterodactyl MT Outpost

  13. #28
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    B.P., MN
    Posts
    734
    We're heading into another off year election, 2014. As I see it this is where our energy should be directed in terms of the various social/cultural/political hubris each of us possess.

    In my state caucuses are being held soon. Other states have other stuff going on. Get on down to these venues for a good old fashioned give and take. Express your concerns best you can, question those who believe they should be elected to order the rest of us around, in short, take these concerns to the arena wherein they have a definitive platform, from which the most possible good might possibly proceed. That's my two cents.

    Everyone who rides and wrenches is my pal. Now where's that 10mm wrench?
    Last edited by 8ninety8; 02-04-2014 at 09:35 PM.

  14. #29
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    855
    Quote Originally Posted by PGlaves View Post
    There are a few thousand places on the internet where you all are free to preach or yell at each other regarding drugs, addiction, sexuality, politics, religion, guns, or whatever you want. But on this BMW motorcycle fourm this is all just pollution. Please go pollute someplace else.

    With all due respect, it is not pollution if it is a topic folks choose to discuss. With other folks that they are familiar with. If a topic or comment on a topic is posted...and no one responds. Then it would appear to be a topic of no interest. If on the other hand if replied / responded too I see a civil discussion as no problem.

    As has been said, I do not need a censor telling me what I may or may not discuss. If I ever show disrespect or some sort of hostility then I would expect to be told to check my behavior and would do so.
    Ron Prior {AMA member 30+ years,MOA member 20+years}
    Milford,Oh
    2002 KLT
    2004 Roadster

  15. #30
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    969
    Quote Originally Posted by PGlaves View Post
    There are a few thousand places on the internet where you all are free to preach or yell at each other regarding drugs, addiction, sexuality, politics, religion, guns, or whatever you want. But on this BMW motorcycle fourm this is all just pollution. Please go pollute someplace else.
    After all, if you consider discussing these issues as "preaching," NO ONE is forcing you to read them!

    BTW, YOU just expressed YOUR view of discussing these things. Doesn't that come from YOUR basic belief system? Why should you spout yours and others not be allowed to speak theirs?

    I guess it is OK to PREACH your view!
    Last edited by jimmylee; 02-04-2014 at 11:30 PM.
    "The difference between death and taxes is that death doesn't change every time congress meets." - Will Rogers

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •