Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Philip Seymour Hoffman- dead at 46

Quote Originally Posted by Voni View Post
    I have to remind myself sometimes that posts such as this say a whole lot more about the poster than the subject at hand.

Voni

So without knowing me,..you have decided that I am something less? because I speak the truth as i see it ?

Using that logic, how is there any difference between us ?

Did you ever consider that perhaps a 'tough-love' approach toward folks like him that are still alive.....may be more productive & positive than the warm & fuzzy approach? Perhaps if they received less understanding & kid-glove approach to their actions. And were reminded of just what their lifestyle can lead too / [is] leading too ?....they might see that a change is needed...?
    Ron Prior {AMA member 30+ years,MOA member 20+years}
    Milford,Oh
    2002 KLT
    2004 Roadster

Lost my best friend to suicide almost 20 years ago and I'm still trying to wrap my head around that event and suicide in general.
    If my comments seem harsh or offend, I apologize.

Peace

WNY, Further fron NYC, than 6 entire states!
    Quote Originally Posted by 71243 View Post
    .......................... Did you ever consider that perhaps a 'tough-love' approach toward folks like him that are still alive.....may be more productive & positive than the warm & fuzzy approach? Perhaps if they received less understanding & kid-glove approach to their actions. And were reminded of just what their lifestyle can lead too / [is] leading too ?....they might see that a change is needed...?

Well I guess some of us were just taught better manners, and were taught to not speak of ill of the dead. If you truly believe your words and tough love approach could save someone, there are thousands of organizations begging for help, of any kind. You are entitled to your thoughts and opinions, but to put it out there in a public forum is crass, and as Voni said, tells more about you.

I said before, what is your weight/height, cholesterol, BP?? Are you an addict to food?? Can you stop? If you or someone you know dies of illnesses associated with poor eating habits, would you be offended if someone went on a public forum and said they committed suicide, or called them out for being overweight?

I was taught, that if I had nothing good to say, keep my mouth shut. If we all practiced this, the MOD's would be ecstatic!
    2010 F800GS Full Ohlins package, '04 R1100S Replika
    '01 F650GS Wife's bike
    Maritime Alps and Vosges 2012
    Tuscany and Central Italy 2010

Quote Originally Posted by wezul View Post
    Lost my best friend to suicide almost 20 years ago and I'm still trying to wrap my head around that event and suicide in general.
    If my comments seem harsh or offend, I apologize.

Peace
    Who said it was a suicide???
    '01 F650GS Wife's bike

I lost 2 uncles and a brother-in-law, who was also my best friend, to addiction, primarily of alcohol. My youngest son is now struggling with it. If you take someone who has a tendency towards addiction then give them wealth, it makes fighting that addiction even harder.

Even after all that, I don't really have much insight into drug or alcohol addiction because I don't struggle with it myself. But I know it exists and I also know that it's more than a simple choice to make or not to make.

I thought Mr. Hoffman was a good actor, but wasn't really a huge fan. He was only 46 years old, and left loved ones, so my heart goes out to the survivors and I hope he is truly resting in peace. I'm not going to judge him, or look down on him because of how he lived and eventually died.
    -----------------------------------------
    Brad D. - Member #105766
    '77 R100RS - Black Beauty (big pipe, baby!)
    '94 R1100RS - Sylvia

Quote Originally Posted by pffog View Post
    Well I guess some of us were just taught better manners, and were taught to not speak of ill of the dead. If you truly believe your words and tough love approach could save someone, there are thousands of organizations begging for help, of any kind. You are entitled to your thoughts and opinions, but to put it out there in a public forum is crass, and as Voni said, tells more about you.

I said before, what is your weight/height, cholesterol, BP?? Are you an addict to food?? Can you stop? If you or someone you know dies of illnesses associated with poor eating habits, would you be offended if someone went on a public forum and said they committed suicide, or called them out for being overweight?

I was taught, that if I had nothing good to say, keep my mouth shut. If we all practiced this, the MOD's would be ecstatic!

"Well I guess some of us were just taught better manners, and were taught to not speak of ill of the dead."

So you speaking ill of me,..for my speaking my point of view,...is good manners because i am alive ?...Got It!

My personal stats. have nothing to do with this, but yes I'm older picked up a few pounds, BP is fine, and no I am not addicted to food...or anything.

"I was taught, that if I had nothing good to say, keep my mouth shut. "

OK lets try this ; So Mr Hoffman you're going to fill a syringe with a bunch of crap , known to kill...then you're going to stick the needle in your arm & push the plunger ?.......that's nice...have a nice day.

Yeah that sure points out the error of his ways....and will no doubt save his life.
    Milford,Oh
    2002 KLT
    2004 Roadster

So if I have nothing nice to say and am quiet I leave you to vent your self righteousness all over my forum. What does that say?

Voni
    http://www.bigbend.net/users/glaves/
    Live fully. Laugh deeply. Love widely.
    BMW MOA Ambassador / FOM / Roving Forum Moderator/
    Selected Friends of Wile E Coyote/ A Million BMW sMiles

Self righteous? You mean you think he seems more self righteous than you? It didn't seem like it to me.
    Never speak ill of the dead? What is that? A superstition? Or an old wives tale?
    I once heard the moon was made out of green cheese.
    Is truth speaking ill? Of course, to some people.
    I have no idea who this guy (thread title) was.
    And I now have no desire to know.
    dc

Oh, have a nice day.

Come on folks, this is starting to escalate towards personal attacks for our beliefs, opinions, and even things not said. If we were in the same room, I suspect we'd have a great time discussing this issue. Please, dial it back. Thanks...
    Kurt -- Forum Administrator ---> Resources and Links Thread <---
    '78 R100/7 & '69 R69S & '52 R25/2
    mine-ineye-deatheah-pielayah-jooa-kalayus. oolah-minane-hay-meeriah-kal-oyus-algay-a-thaykin', buddy!

Quote Originally Posted by 71243 View Post
    So you speaking ill of me,..for my speaking my point of view,...is good manners because i am alive ?...Got It!.......................
    I did not speak ill of you, I only stated, IMHO, what I was taught was a better set of values, one of understanding and tolerance.

I also said that is is noble to try and help those living, and several here have made comments, in an attempt to cause you some self reflection, we appear to have been unsuccessful, as you continue to bait and argue.

All I can say is when your time comes, I hope that there are people around that sing your praises, and your family does not encounter someone crass enough to proclaim you as an angry, intolerant and bitter man. In real life you might be a heck of a guy, but to others, at this point, you appear to be the later. Luckily I am polite enough to keep my negative thoughts to myself at that juncture.
    '01 F650GS Wife's bike

Quote Originally Posted by pffog View Post
    I did not speak ill of you, I only stated, IMHO, what I was taught was a better set of values, one of understanding and tolerance.

I also said that is is noble to try and help those living, and several here have made comments, in an attempt to cause you some self reflection, we appear to have been unsuccessful, as you continue to bait and argue.

All I can say is when your time comes, I hope that there are people around that sing your praises, and your family does not encounter someone crass enough to proclaim you as an angry, intolerant and bitter man. In real life you might be a heck of a guy, but to others, at this point, you appear to be the later. Luckily I am polite enough to keep my negative thoughts to myself at that juncture.

Why do I need self reflection ? Because I do not agree lockstep ? Or because I speak the truth as I see it, and I see it differently than you & some others.

And you have reduced me to angry,intolerant,and bitter? Because I do not agree with drug use / abuse? And at this juncture your politeness escapes me ...because you have already said it.

And what about the selfishness & lack of responsibility displayed by Mr Hoffman in regard to his children & their mother left behind. {HE} brought them their grief through his selfish action....I did not. For him I have no sympathy, for his suffering loved ones I do......But by your logic, [and words] that makes me angry,intolerant,and bitter...Interesting.
    Milford,Oh
    2002 KLT
    2004 Roadster

This reminds me of the old adage, "Never wrestle with a pig. You'll both get muddy and the pig likes it ."

Quit feeding him.
    Kevin Huddy
    Tm Pterodactyl MT Outpost

Quote Originally Posted by Voni View Post
    So if I have nothing nice to say and am quiet I leave you to vent your self righteousness all over my forum. What does that say?

Voni

I'm not sure what that would say? If anything? All I know is I spoke out about / against, drug use & abuse , [an illegal activity] being {IMO} incorrectly disguised as a decease. And my opposition to it. But in your reply you indicate that perhaps I am something less then the law breaking addict , because of my disapproval of his action.....again interesting...and I fail to see how you and I are so different?
    Milford,Oh
    2002 KLT
    2004 Roadster

I found this article a very good discussion of addiction:

http://blogs.kqed.org/stateofhealth/...out-addiction/

Voni

And this quote from this note:

When tragedies like these deaths happen to celebrities, they should be a wake-up call for the rest of us. If someone who has everything going for them can be so horribly enslaved to what they know could kill them, imagine what it?s like for the average addict. Addiction is bigger than class, race, religion, or any other factor that one might hope would reduce its captive hold. Succumbing to it isn?t selfish. It?s horribly sad and extremely difficult to prevent, even though it is, in theory, preventable. The way we talk about a celebrity who ODs says a lot about the way we think about people who are struggling around us. It?s time we tried to understand struggles we don?t endure ourselves. It?s called empathy, and we could all use a lot more of it.
    http://www.electricfeast.com/a-note-...s-not-selfish/