Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10

Thread: Philip Seymour Hoffman- dead at 46

Quote Originally Posted by 71243 View Post
    Com'on I think you know he means different. .
    Ron........NO around this place I do NOT know what anyone thinks or means. So yes, I question all inclusive type statements. I really do appreciate those that truly understand NOT to make judgemental statements unless they have walked in the person's/subject's shoes. Anyway, that is all I am trying to point out. Don't point fingers if you don't KNOW what you are talking about.....And NO.......NO Ron, I am not pointing a finger or comment towards YOU......God bless.......Dennis

Quote Originally Posted by DennisDarrow View Post
    So I guess the fellas wounded in combat that are now in the surgical wards of military hospitals, addicted to pain meds, made a poor choice to defend your right to make judgements like you are rendering???????????.............God bless.......Dennis
    My mistake. I presumed enough common sense to know the difference. That would ensure an understanding of addiction by choice versus addiction by circumstances. I do believe most would see that though.
    CCC, NRA, OOIDA Life Member
    BMWMOA Member 15945

For one, I don't see much if anything that provides for a distinction in your statement about choice versus circumstance. Your statement seems unequivocal to this reader...

"addiction may be a disease but it begins with a choice" seems a clear indication of your view.
    Bill Johnston

Quote Originally Posted by Motodan View Post
    Yes, one cannot escape their "poor" family history, but learning about it and making choices to nullify it, as best as possible, is a great story. Good for you...keep it going!
    Thanks for your good wishes! I just count myself as one of the lucky few. Very lucky!
    Bill Johnston

The difference between a hero serving his/her country, wounded and given medical narcotics, and someone who just chooses to begin using drugs should be pretty obvious I'd think. The heroes probably don't think I want to try drugs so I'm enlisting to see if I can get wounded and put on drugs.
    CCC, NRA, OOIDA Life Member
    BMWMOA Member 15945

Quote Originally Posted by SeabeckS View Post
    So, based on my life experiences and intellectual curiousity I'm led to a conclusion that what we "know" about addictions has many gaps. Not entirely sure what the "truth" is, but still unwilling to condemn others, but willing to mourn the loss of another human being...
    Thanks for these honest and realistic appraisal of this situation that one NOT BY CHOICE often finds one's self in. Our journies through time have been similar to reach the same insight of the weakness of a man's spirit. All are just NOT blessed the same way, and I say again and cannot emphasize enough................WALK IN THE OTHER GUY'S SHOES

I truly challenge those who follow the "choice of decision" mantra to GO TO AN AA OR NA meeting. You will be welcome for sure. Then perhaps you will get off your high horse, look around you, and say to yourself and others: "there but for the grace of God go I".........God bless........Dennis

Move ON

Some one close the thread and lets move on. His shoes don't fit most of us, and had no effect on motorcycles riding or really much else.
    Tom
    '84 R100RT '04 CLC(gone) Honda NT700V
    BMW
    Beer Motorcycles Women

Quote Originally Posted by miairhead View Post
    Some one close the thread and lets move on. His shoes don't fit most of us, and had no effect on motorcycles riding or really much else.
    +100
    '14 R1200RT
    MOA #46783