Thread: Gas Smell on R 1200 GS WC 2013

Jim

Unhappy Gas Smell on R 1200 GS WC 2013

I traded in my 2003 K 1200 gt that I put over 70k on for a R 1200 GS WC - 2013 on Jan 3rd of this year. I've put about 1,500 miles on the bike - it had 5,500 on it when I purchased. I have enjoyed the bike - light and powerful but......there is a gas smell. Can't connect it with anything. I spoke with the first owner - he is riding a 14 with every option you can get on a GS - he said he had the same issue with the bike. Anybody else having this issue?

Welcome to the forum Jim! There seems to be a bit of a trend, this thread has similar questions.
    http://www.bmwmoa.org/forum/showthre...-off-fuel-caps
    OM
    "Well they say.. time loves a hero but only time will tell.. If he's real, he's a legend from heaven If he ain't he was sent here from hell" Lowell George
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200
    Part of the Forum Threadside Assistance Program

I haven't that issue. If I did I'd...

• Verify the fuel cap is closing all the way
    • Remove the tank center cover (5 screws) and ensure that the vent lines are properly connected
    • Remove the tank and verify fuel connections

and maybe a few other things, too. Maybe the fuel cap seal isn't sealing, for example. Since the bike is still under warranty my first plan of action would likely be bitch to the dealer.

Jim

looked at some of it...

Yes, I took off most of the plastic on the tank - I thought I had found the problem because the line to the charcoal filter was not on all the way - it had slipped back on the pipe near the filler cap. There was some fuel or wetness around the filler cap. I put the line all the way on the pipe and cleaned up the little bit of residue of fuel on the plastic tank. I drove the bike 200 miles today and .....still had a strong smell of gas on heavy acceleration. It does not seem to have anything to do with the level of the tank. I had replaced the quick connects on my 03 GT - do you think this bike has those same quick connects? I need to find a service manuel for the bike. I purchased the DVD done by JVB on Wethead Service - it is very good.

I suppose the fuel line O-rings could be an issue.

To remove the tank first remove the plastic, then the 4 screws under the saddle near the rear of the tank where the front saddle height adjuster connects. Disconnect the breather hoses. Pull the fuse carrier from its resting position. Slide the tank back a bit and you will see the same kind of set up found with the earlier bikes: two electrical connections (one to the fuel pump controller) and a 90 degree Quick Disconnect.

I have not removed my tank all the way. I did pull the tank back a bit to see how much effort the job would take.

Check to see that the red rubber retainer ring is still seated on the underside of the fuel cap assembly. Mine fell off and into the tank allowing the two sealing discs above it to fall off also - thus no seal. I replaced the red ring with an ordinary o-ring until the dealer replaced the entire fuel cap and recoded the lock (warranty).
    '14 R1200GS,
    Priors: '13 K1600GT, '08 R1200RT, '04 R1150RT, '05 R1200GS, '73 R75/5.

Oh, yeah.... that. Mine came loose a few times, but only at fuel stops. I was always able to push the assembly back together until the cap was replaced under warranty. I never had the smell of gas, but then I never lost the retainer, either.

Encountered the gas smell after my first fill-up on the new 2014 GS and found the cap wasn't quite closing/locking all the way, even though it looked closed at first glance. I have to press down really hard or smack it with my hand to get it to seat/lock. I will have the dealer look at it when it goes in for service.
    John
    2014 R1200GS

Jim

Thanks for the suggestions -

I brought it in to the dealer (before the snow storm today - yes, it was yesterday but still very cold) It needs the 6.0k service. They said they will check it out. Not sure how much they can drive it in these very cold conditions but I am leaving it there several days - hopefully then can figure it out. With it only happening on a hard acceleration - it might be tough to find - we shall see.

I was at local dealer yesterday. A fella I've met a number of times came in that owns a 2013 GSW.
    We talked about the bike a bit.

He said that the aluminum tank on the new GSAW would be an advantage over the plastic GSW tank.
    Why, I asked, other than larger capacity?
    Then he spoke of a gas smell problem with the bike. Especially when tanked up.
    On his, turned out that the top of the tank, where the filler attaches was not flat. Wavy / not flat (production defect or other) and the filler assembly could not mate properly.
    Tank was replaced, problem solved.

Perhaps when you accelerate hard, gas splashes up there by the filler mating surface like when the gent tanks up, and liquid & vapors escape.

d'milan

Jim

Still Working on it!

Friends,

They put a new cap @ o ring - still did not correct the problem. They are requesting approval from BMW to replace the fuel tank. This one to appears to be warped & the gasket will not seat correctly. Sure hope BMW gets this right - I sure enjoy everything else about the bike but it is not enjoyable to ride with the gas smell.

Quote Originally Posted by dmilan View Post
    I was at local dealer yesterday. A fella I've met a number of times came in that owns a 2013 GSW.
    We talked about the bike a bit.

He said that the aluminum tank on the new GSAW would be an advantage over the plastic GSW tank.
    Why, I asked, other than larger capacity?
    Then he spoke of a gas smell problem with the bike. Especially when tanked up.
    On his, turned out that the top of the tank, where the filler attaches was not flat. Wavy / not flat (production defect or other) and the filler assembly could not mate properly.
    Tank was replaced, problem solved.

Perhaps when you accelerate hard, gas splashes up there by the filler mating surface like when the gent tanks up, and liquid & vapors escape.

d'milan

Quote Originally Posted by Jamesecassidy View Post
    I traded in my 2003 K 1200 gt that I put over 70k on for a R 1200 GS WC - 2013 on Jan 3rd of this year. I've put about 1,500 miles on the bike - it had 5,500 on it when I purchased. I have enjoyed the bike - light and powerful but......there is a gas smell. Can't connect it with anything. I spoke with the first owner - he is riding a 14 with every option you can get on a GS - he said he had the same issue with the bike. Anybody else having this issue?

Ever get it remedied?

One Man Wolfpack Kent Niederhofer's Avatar

Smelling Gas on the G/S

I just received a recall notification for my K1300S -- and apparently the G/S is included here -- for a weak fuel pump bracket that can cause a fuel line to break loose. Not sure if it applies to your specific bike but if you smell fuel, I'd be careful and call the dealer to find if the issue affects your bike. Good luck.

Kent

2007 gas smell

My 2007 R1200RT had the gas smell. It is the subject of a recall now on 50,000 BMW motorcycles.

Mine has been fixed and no longer smells.

Contact your BMW dealer.
    Jeff Dean − Tucson, Arizona − BMW MOA Co-founder (1972)
    http://bmwdean.com − MSF Chief Instructor (1994)
    Friend of the Marque (1999) − Prof. Gerhard Knochlein BMW Classic Award (2013)
    2014 & 2007 R1200RTs, R60/2s, R67/3, R51/3 ↔ 1949 R24