Thread: R90/6 front wheel issues

R90/6 front wheel issues

Hey guys,

My front spoke wheel on my R90/6 is out of round. I figure I'll send it off and have it cleaned and straightened. But, I was wondering if I can tell if this is a BMW wheel or a cheap aftermarket wheel? I don't see any kind of BMW markings on it, like I do for exhaust mufflers.

Any way to tell?

If you have anything to add before I take it off and send it away, I'm all ears!

Thanks,
    Rob
    Rob C. , Raleigh, NC
    '10 R12RT, R90/6
    2007 CBR600RR & 09 V-Star
    Suzuki DR 350

Quote Originally Posted by roborider View Post
    Hey guys,

My front spoke wheel on my R90/6 is out of round. I figure I'll send it off and have it cleaned and straightened. But, I was wondering if I can tell if this is a BMW wheel or a cheap aftermarket wheel? I don't see any kind of BMW markings on it, like I do for exhaust mufflers.

Any way to tell?

If you have anything to add before I take it off and send it away, I'm all ears!

Thanks,
    Rob

Mine say Weinmann on them. They were the manufacturer of the /6 alloys
    // 1975 BMW R90/6 (cafe'd) // 1957 BMW R60 (in pieces) // 1967 Aermacchi/H-D Sprint 250 SS (custom special) // 1973 VW Type 181 Custom SOLD )

http://symphonyofshrapnel.blogspot.com

Excellent, thanks. I see that now near the valve stem.
    Rob C. , Raleigh, NC
    '10 R12RT, R90/6
    Suzuki DR 350

Quote Originally Posted by roborider View Post
    Hey guys,

Any way to tell?

Thanks,
    Rob
    Be careful who you have do the straightening. It takes a special talent. Over the years I have tried with no success. I could just never get the hang of it. However, when in high school, at the Honda/BMW dealer where I worked, our head mechanic could do it with a snap. He had the knack.
    "The difference between death and taxes is that death doesn't change every time congress meets." - Will Rogers

I was going to send it to Woody's. I hear good things about them. I've had great success with MCwheel, but they do mostly alloy (like the R12RT). So for spokes, I was going to Woody's. It is not damaged, just out of round. I'll report back on the success.
    Last edited by roborider; 02-02-2014 at 01:04 PM.
    Rob C. , Raleigh, NC
    '10 R12RT, R90/6
    Suzuki DR 350

Monza Blue 1974 R90/6
    Woody's or Buchanan's. Lots of positive reports of their work on spoked wheels. Weimann stamp means you should have stock wheels.

Barron

I ended up sending both my wheels to Woody's. Both were in very bad shape, out of round, bent rims, etc. The cost was about $600, which included all new spokes, a good cleaning and clear spray, and new front wheel bearing. They look fantastic now. I can't wait to get them installed.

So, thumbs up for Woody's.
    Rob C. , Raleigh, NC
    '10 R12RT, R90/6
    Suzuki DR 350

I don't see any kind of BMW markings on it, like I do for exhaust mufflers.

Any way to tell?
    And don't forget the five retainer "dents" in the rim (across from the valve stem hole).

"It is what you discover, after you know it all, that counts." _ John Wooden

Lew Morris
    1973 R75/5 - original owner