Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: New member of BMW MOA resurrecting 85 K100RS

Pity you live so far away, I'd love to help someone on a project like that (or do it myself) You're having fun!
    Regards, Rene

K100 (1985 - 0030029)

I would certainly welcome any and all help. I have another K100 I will be getting to after I am done with this one but I think that one will be a naked K100. Been a long time since I was able to work on the bike, between work and fixing the house we have in Florida I have not been home for around 3 weeks. I finally got home this morning and continued the work. I have been sitting on the rebuild kit for my fuel cap and I found some high quality submersible fuel line and a new fuel filter. I pulled the pump out and replaced all the fuel lines and checked the operation of the pump. I decided to use the pump from the low mile bike in my blue tank for this bike. I did a bench test and it runs and pumps nice and strong. So I don't think I will have any problems with it in the near future (fingers crossed)
    image_1.jpg
    The fuel cap did not leak as far as I knew but I put new seals in it anyway. It can't hurt right? The o-ring's were in there pretty good and I would up prying them out. The new ones went right in and I also had the chance to lube the return spring and clean the corrosion off the bottom of the key mechanism. Should be good for another 25 years now.
    image_4.jpg
    image.jpg
    I did get the gas tank mounted up but forgot to take a picture of it. That will have to wait for next time. Now I have to finish the girlfriends Suzuki. Its running and all I need to do is get the heated grips on and the tank and side covers painted.
    Last edited by bruced737; 03-18-2014 at 10:17 PM.

Since it go cold out again I decided to tackle a few other projects I wanted to address. I was not happy with how bright the tail light was while the bike was sitting there so since we have so much room in the sides I decided to add some lights. I originally purchased some off of Ebay but I was not happy with how small they were. So I went to the local parts store and low and behold they had what i was looking for. They weren't giving them away but I am happy with how they look.
    20140325_152830.jpg
    20140325_152823.jpg
    20140325_153036.jpg
    Last edited by bruced737; 03-25-2014 at 09:34 PM.

Mendocino, CA USA about as far left as you can get in the lower 48
    Glad to read you added to the tail light. That is something many of us did 'back in the day' because of the real lack of illumination there, both on running as well as stopping. Keep up the good work! Very entertaining.
    Jim Douglas '00 K1200RS >135,000 miles my primary bike again,
    Gone: '09 K1300S sold @ 22k mi, '93 K1100RS traded @ 78k mi, '85 K100RS sold @ 44k mi
    '06 Kaw 650R track bike sold
    http://www.seagullbb.com/

I think the new lights will really make me visible at least.
    20140325_153113.jpg
    20140325_154623.jpg
    I also finally got all the LED bulbs for the gauges and got them installed. I got the small ones from a web site, superbrightled.com and I am hopeing they will never require replacing in my life time. They cost me #$1.39 a piece and you will need 8 of them and 2 of a twist in type. We will see how they look when I get the gauges back in the bike.
    20140325_005131.jpg

20140325_005009.jpg
    20140325_005016.jpg
    I think I will be adding some strip lights on the mud flap to increase the visibility of the stop light but I am happy with whats been done for now.

I do have a set of viable spedo gears that I wont be using so if anyone needs a set of original ones I have them and I am willing to sell them. I just put new in my spedos. If your interested in the gears send me a PM
    20140325_010103(1).jpg
    Last edited by bruced737; 03-26-2014 at 12:34 AM.

Hey Bruce, I saw those lights at TrakAuto too - did you wire them in to the running rear light or brake lights? How did you do the wiring?

Thanks!
    Ted
    "A good stick is a good reason"
    1994 K75RT
    Moto Pages

I have not wired them in yet. I was planning on soldering the leads together and then to the clips for the running brake light. I want them to remain removable. I was planning on adding strip lights down the rear fender to make the brake light more visible and they are not conspicuous when they are off. I have been kicking around the idea of replacing the incandescent stop bulb with a LED one that flashes. I have a flashing LED in a few of my other bikes and it really draws attention to it.

Quote Originally Posted by bruced737 View Post
    20140325_005009.jpg
    20140325_005016.jpg
    i think i will be adding some strip lights on the mud flap to increase the visibility of the stop light but i am happy with whats been done for now.

I do have a set of viable spedo gears that i wont be using so if anyone needs a set of original ones i have them and i am willing to sell them. I just put new in my spedos. If your interested in the gears send me a pm
    20140325_010103(1).jpg
    pm sent
    I want to be unique, just like everybody else.

Quote Originally Posted by rzwartus View Post
    Pity you live so far away, I'd love to help someone on a project like that (or do it myself) You're having fun!
    I am a little closer in Jacksonville and have one in pieces right now.
    I want to be unique, just like everybody else.

I finally got back to the K. I wired up the new running brake lights. I did this by soldering the 2 leads from the new lights together with a 3rd wire as a pig tail. I crimped a male connector to each set of 3 wires and pluged them into the wires that used to go to power the light. I crimped female connectors to the pig tail and attached them into the light bulb socket.
    20140408_093007.jpg
    20140408_093046.jpg
    I really like the way they look and I think I am more visible with the light cluster like it is now. I think I will start looking for some strip lights to add to the brakeing light.
    20140408_093234.jpg

I had some time so I got the rear diff oil changed and the engine oil. I still need to do the trany, maby tomorrow but it is supposed to be 70 up here in da nort so I might be riding one of my other bikes.

I also got the power cord for my battery tender installed and mounted. So now I wont have to pull it next winter.

I have been away from the project for some time now and I finally got the time to get some final things done. I filled and checked all the fluids and made sure there was new lube in the diff, trany, and engine. I also filled up the anti-freeze so I know that at least that has new stuff. I have been thinking about the problem with the rear view mirror falling off with a good jolt is I have engineered what I hope will be a viable solution. On my snowmobiles they mount the rear view mirrors with a threaded rod and spring on the back side so if you hit something it lets the mirror lay back against the hood and all you have to do is snap it back upright and it goes back in place. I figure this should work on the bike as well. I drilled a hole in the thickest part of the mirror housing and I put a cable through it. I also drilled a hole through the mount. On the back side I put a spring, washer and cable clamp. Here are all the parts I used.
    20140502_131525.jpg
    20140502_132354.jpg
    I got it all at the local hardware store and I think I spent 5 bucks in all. The end of the cable is secured with a cable crimp and you just hammer it tight then I used a screw driver to make sure it was clamping well.
    20140502_132415.jpg

20140502_132849.jpg
    I used springs that are not the stiffest so they should have some give in them and not brake the mirror if it gets hit. I think it should work great. Now I will be taking the bike out side for the first time and firing it up so keep you fingers crossed it starts. I will also be syncing the throttle bodies.
    I also got the seat mounted, not so sure I like it but time will tell if I go back to the stock one of keep this corbin on the bike.

It lives, I just got took it outside and after a few moments of cranking it fired right to life. It sounds great and it didn't require much choke at all and no choke a few minutes after that. I synced the throttle bodies and the thing idles like a champ. I did notice that when you rev it up a little the levels are not even. Has anyone ever messed with the butterflies at higher rpm's? I usually sync my jap bikes at idle then rev them up to 5000 and resync them there since thats where They run on the highway. One thing that has changed is the bike is not charging and it did before I tore it down. Any suggestions where I should start to fix that problem? I do not have the gauges on the bike yet. My father just got home and I will be calibrating the spedo on monday. I will post the link to the youtube video of the 2nd start later tonight.