Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: New member of BMW MOA resurrecting 85 K100RS

3 Red Bricks
    Just a suggestion, go to your local hardware store and buy a couple feet of 3/8" ID x 1/2" OD clear Tygon tubing and a couple narrow 1/2" hose clamps. Cut the clamps off the tubing on the sight tube on the radiator overflow tank and replace the tubing with new. Use small regular gear drive hose clamps. Keep the extra tubing so that you can replace it every couple years as it yellows. Total cost only a couple bucks, but really makes a difference.

Last edited by 98lee; 02-18-2014 at 07:48 PM.
    LONG MAY YOUR BRICK FLY!

Ride Safe, Ride Far, Ride Often

Lee Fulton Forum Moderator
    3 Marakesh Red K75Ss
    Mine, Hers, Spare

I was planning on changing out the tube on the anti-freeze reservoir, thanks for the tubing size. I have had a lot of time in the last few days to work on the bike. I finished the rear fairing and got the luggage mounts on the bike. I will be adding led's to the taillight to make it more visible, you can barely see the brake light. The mounts are hard to see but I think the clean up looks great, I got the foot peg mount cleaned up and some what shined up. 20140217_212942.jpg
    I got tired of kneeling so I though I would work on the upper fairing. I got the fairing mounted and tried to follow the cable routing diagram, of course once I for the upper fairing on I realized I had some wires in the wrong place. That took a while to get rectified and the fairing mount was a little tweaked so there went another hour straightening it out. Now it shoud be easy to take the fairing on and off as I need to. I also got the horns mounted and wired back up. I did wind up using the RS wire loom for the turn signals and horns. I did come up with a solution to the problem of the mirrors wanting to fall off when bumped. I am planning on using a cable and a spring to put tension on the housing. It works for my snowmobiles so it should work on the bike. I have rolled my sled and those mirrors get folded flat and spring right back in place. 20140218_115357.jpg20140217_212948.jpg
    I found that the weather stripping on the radiator screen was messed up so I cannibalized the one from the busted up RT fairing and got it installed. looks nice minus all the rock dings. When I get the bike painted I think I will protect this area with that 3M plastic stuff for car hoods.

20140218_115405.jpg
    I worked on the forks as well. I got the front brake calipers cleaned up and new pads installed so I should have no problem stopping this thing. I think in the future I will be replacing all the rubber lines with stainless. I really like the way the fork lowers cleaned up and I think the front end looks like new. I will be leaving the mud flap off the bike. I have a fork brace on the bike but its still loose, I will tighten it up when I am sure it wont inhibit the movement of the forks. 20140217_212903.jpg20140217_212913.jpg

I do have a parabollic windshield mount I wont be using so if there is anyone out there who wants to trade me for something I need send me a message.

Thanks for this thread, Bruce, I really enjoy reading about and seeing the combination and resurrection.

You should replace all the rubber brake lines now. Rubber degrades with age, and failing rubber lines create all kinds of havoc. Ten years is a reasonable life; these lines have been out in the world for almost thirty. I wouldn't ride around the block with them.
    David Brick
    Santa Cruz CA
    2007 R1200R

Mendocino, CA USA about as far left as you can get in the lower 48
    I was thinking the same thing. I have had two on my K1200RS blow at different emergency stops. Both were front lines, and they were 10-12 yrs of age. With your bike in this easy working state, now is the time to go SS. Looking GOOD!
    Jim Douglas '00 K1200RS >135,000 miles my primary bike again,
    Gone: '09 K1300S sold @ 22k mi, '93 K1100RS traded @ 78k mi, '85 K100RS sold @ 44k mi
    '06 Kaw 650R track bike sold
    http://www.seagullbb.com/

Thanks for the idea guys. I do want to do this upgrade but I am at a loss to really figure out the exact ones I need and where to get them. What do you guys recommend? Do most people run one down to the right caliper and pass one over the fender to the other? Ebay, Max BMW?

Now I have moved on to the guages. I have been having my daughters most of the week so I have not had time to work on the bike but I have started tearing apart both of my gauge clusters. What a mess I have going on on the kitchen table. Ah the joys of not having a wife. My kitchen table used to be my carb rebuild bench until my kids complained. I guess they will have to get over the gauges being on there for now.20140222_003955.jpgI have 2 sets of gauges so I can pick the best parts for the RS I am building. I was not happy with the broken gear indicator in the gauges so I decided to swap the good one I have to go in the set I will be using on this bike.20140221_232754.jpg20140221_232804.jpg
    I then moved on to the spedo and found that both had bad gears so apart they came and I managed to get 1 good set for the spedo I will be calibrating this week.

20140221_115707.jpg20140221_232640.jpg
    Good set of gears installed and ready for calibration.
    I also ordered a new set of gears. I cant believe how easy it is to roll back the miles on a K. I found that the 4L plastic piece was shorter than it should have been and glued in to the spot. I will have to get a new one of those. I am also planning on putting LED bulbs in the whole cluster. I ordered 20 off of ebay for $15. The bulbs for the turn signal are different and I already have LED's for those. I am not worried about hyper flashing because I still have incandescent bulbs in the signals.
    I have one 9 screw cluster rear housing and one 6 screw. I will be using the 9 screw housing on the build bike. It also has 2 vents already in it so I wont have to drill any holes.
    20140221_232950.jpg

More work on the gauge cluster. i have the new gears ordered but I decided to put LED bulbs in and they finally got to my house today. They fit in 5 positions so I had to order another style for the rest. But I bet these will have the gauges look nice and at least they will work for the rest of my lifetime. So now I have to wait for the next batch of bulbs. Man it seams I am always waiting for parts with this thing. BTW I ordered 2 sets of spedo gears from odometergears.com. They were very helpful and knowledgeable and gave me 10 bucks off the second set of gears I ordered. i even got to talk directly to a human.
    20140224_204153.jpg_snapshot_00.11_[2014.02.24_20.48.02].jpg

Mendocino, CA USA about as far left as you can get in the lower 48
    For the braided ss lines, Jerry Finley at Pirate's Lair can obtain Speiglers for nearly any bike. He specialized in the K1200RS when our bikes were new and has since (17 years now?) branched out to all the newer BMWs as well as many other brands. His page on the Speigler lines says to email him with your specific needs and he can likelly get it. It would be the entire kit most likely.

pirate@acelink.net

Your project is very interesting. It has been so long since I had one of those instrument clusters open.....
    Jim Douglas '00 K1200RS >135,000 miles my primary bike again,
    Gone: '09 K1300S sold @ 22k mi, '93 K1100RS traded @ 78k mi, '85 K100RS sold @ 44k mi
    '06 Kaw 650R track bike sold
    http://www.seagullbb.com/

Thanks for the link, I have been having fun (frustrated) doing this bike. I am so used to the Japanese way of doing things it has taken some adjustment to the German thought process. I saw on another BMW parts site he was selling LED bulb set for $50 so I thought I could do better than that. I was surprised the bulbs I got would not fit in the slots, they were to large at the led cover. So I have ordered another type of LED bulb. Hope those fit. I will also be posting the results of using a signal generator to calibrate my spedo. I found a set of lines on another site but man the guy wants $200 + shipping for a set. I get them for my Suzuki for around $125 shipped. And I though HD stood for high dollar.

3 Red Bricks
    LONG MAY YOUR BRICK FLY!

Ride Safe, Ride Far, Ride Often

Lee Fulton Forum Moderator
    3 Marakesh Red K75Ss
    Mine, Hers, Spare

hey, great to hear of another guy digging into the bike. I just purchased a 1985 K100rs. It is being shipped to me soon. I have no experience with this bike and plan on following your thread. Thanks for the insight and welcome. I had a r1200 gs as my only bmw experience. I am building a cafe racer so if you need any body work let me know. I am removing every thing but the tank. I look forward to learning more

You will have a good and trying time fixing up your bike. It is very rewarding though. I am very exited to see spring right around the corner. It was 17 above 0 yesterday when I left for work so its starting to warm up in WI.
    Last edited by bruced737; 03-05-2014 at 10:37 PM.

The original K100RS won some design awards back in the early/mid 80's. Nice looking bikes. My favorite is the '87 with the motorsport paint scheme.