Thread: 1600 crash bars ilium versus altrider - specifically lean angle

1600 crash bars ilium versus altrider - specifically lean angle

Greetings. Before I pick up my GTL I'm thinking I better have those crash bars installed. I figure one drop will pay for the cost, and then some.

I've check it out and read everything I can find. I like the look of the ilium. I really like the fact that altrider has pictures of the bike down. So my question from you folks who have them is, how much lean angle will I give up? Will one versus the other take away too much lean angle? I do plan to ride agressively in the curves sometimes.

Thanks for your input.

Dave

Smile AltRider

My bike has AltRider crash bars. I like them a lot. I doubt I could lean the bike that far to hit the bars. There is a picture of a bike that is down with AltRider bars here (http://www.windingroads.co.uk/shop/p...n-bars-k1600gt). I really think it would be a challenge to lean the bike that far to scratch the bars - IMHO

Thanks - do you have pegs on them?

Thanks

+1for altrider bars. My bike came with the factory bars, with a zero speed layover lots of cosmetic damage. If I had the Altrider bars their would have been no damage
    Quickly replaced the factory bars, have not had and dragging issues with the altriders, a plus is bars are connected together giving in my opinon greater protection

I have Altrider bars on my K1600 and have dropped her on both sides at low or no speed. The only damage has been some superficial scratches on the black part of the bags. If I had had the BMW bars I would have needed to replace the mirrors and maybe some body work.

I went with the ALtrider bars

I'm looking forward to picking up the GTL this week. Altrider shipped them to the dealer to be installed while they prep the bike.

Thanks for your input.

Dave

I have the illiium bars on my K16 and have never felt that they kept me from enjoying the reduction of chicken strips. Other parts on the bike have eroded long before the engine protection bars touch down. When my bike has decided to take a nap I've had zero damage to other components other than my pride. All of that said I am considering changing to the Wunderlich engine and bag protection bars. Simply because they provide better mount points for lights. I've also been looking for the Police protection bars.
    Last edited by selil; 02-02-2014 at 02:46 PM.
    ------------------
    Sam Liles
    Candidate for BMWMOA BOD
    selil.com

Anyone have the AltRiders in the powder coated black? Wondering what would be less conspicuous... my K16GT is Montego Blue.
    A Picture would be helpful. Thanks
    Own: '13 K1600GT & '95 K75
    Owned: R1200GSA, GS & K1300GT

I was in the same situation as you, really worried about lean angle but still wanted tip-over protection. I went with the Ilium bars. I didn't really care for that "loop" that bowed out look of the altriders.

BTW- Ilium now has the GT & GTL engine bars (26-500) now in black powder coat (26-500BL). More so for us GT-Sport guys as the lower part of our bikes is now black. Talk to Ron Hufford at Ilium Works, he will set you right! 888.431.6669

ENGINE BARS (Link)

Hwy Pegs video...
    Business comes first, riding comes always. One puts bread on the table, the other eats all the bread. Oh well, I'm riding happy!
    Go-Karts 'R' us | Power-Sports Forum

Quote Originally Posted by Top_Speed1 View Post
    I was in the same situation as you, really worried about lean angle but still wanted tip-over protection. I went with the Ilium bars. I didn't really care for that "loop" that bowed out look of the altriders.
    Do the Ilium bars give you enough lean angle to protect the mirrors as well as the panniers? AltRiders make the case that the additional 1 3/4" height and 2" out in the loop provides 36 degree stop angle. This further decreases the likelihood of a rollover past the pivot point.

also: http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/a...gtl-crash-bars Pictures of the black bars for color comparison as well as an example of the lean angle protection.

Quote Originally Posted by ch2ous View Post
    Do the Ilium bars give you enough lean angle to protect the mirrors as well as the panniers? AltRiders make the case that the additional 1 3/4" height and 2" out in the loop provides 36 degree stop angle. This further decreases the likelihood of a rollover past the pivot point.

also: http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/a...gtl-crash-bars Pictures of the black bars for color comparison as well as an example of the lean angle protection.
    Many of the Ilium users (on K1600forum.com) have reported full tip-over protection including mirrors, but not sure about side cases. I can't remember if any negatives were ever mentioned TBH.

Some have done the sheet of plywood/angle test as well, but this (to me) seems shortcoming to reality/actuality as the bike weight and balancing fulcrum changes when it is on it's side, just does funny things. Maybe even a full tank of fuel, or maybe a loaded top case (or none at all) would skew it even more (or less) to a front to rear angle tippage? IDK

-KJ
    Business comes first, riding comes always. One puts bread on the table, the other eats all the bread. Oh well, I'm riding happy!

Quote Originally Posted by Top_Speed1 View Post
    Some have done the sheet of plywood/angle test as well, but this (to me) seems shortcoming to reality/actuality as the bike weight and balancing fulcrum changes when it is on it's side, just does funny things. Maybe even a full tank of fuel, or maybe a loaded top case (or none at all) would skew it even more (or less) to a front to rear angle tippage? IDK

-KJ
    Good point... I guess the fact that we apply something is better than nothing. Its really just a matter of taste. Unfortunately, I love the look of that beastly motor stuffed in the frame like it is. It needs nothing else and adding a bar just makes me feel like a nervous new parent with a newborn again.
    What do you think about color? Black or the natural steel against the Montego blue?

Quote Originally Posted by ch2ous View Post
    Good point... I guess the fact that we apply something is better than nothing. Its really just a matter of taste. Unfortunately, I love the look of that beastly motor stuffed in the frame like it is. It needs nothing else and adding a bar just makes me feel like a nervous new parent with a newborn again.
    What do you think about color? Black or the natural steel against the Montego blue?
    I went Black on my Iliums mainly b/c the GT-Sport had more lower black accents than the plain GT's. Plus I feel black is more conspicuous, hence why girls wear black; to make themselves look smaller/thinner. It works.

I just installed the Ilium Works bars last night. Silver or whatever their not black color is.

I will eventually add the highway pegs.
    Jerry, Monument, CO, USA; 2013 K1600GTL, Mineral Silver
    "Are we at last brought to such a humiliating and debasing degradation, that we cannot be trusted with arms for our own defense?" - Patrick Henry