Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Rollin' by THE GREAT RIVER ROAD to the MOA RALLY... Join the Ride!

Quote Originally Posted by Norwood View Post
    Thanks, I have added your above waypoints to the GPX file (BaseCamp) .....

Am I correct....Pikes Peak Park is the best View of the Wisconsin and Mississippi Rivers merging?
    Yes. Wyalusing State Park also has a good view of the merging rivers.

Let me add one more interesting stop/scenic view to the mix. It's called Elmer's Toy & Auto Museum on a bluff overlooking Fountain City, WI.

http://www.elmersautoandtoymuseum.com/home.html
    Last edited by OldNuke; 03-16-2014 at 06:23 PM.
    When you come to a fork in the road, take it.

Memphis on the Mississippi.

Memphis has a few parks overlookin the river. Asburn/Coppack Park has allways been a favorite of mine. 441 Riverside Dr. Kinda secluded and shady. The new reconfigured Tom Lee Park on Riverside Dr.. Take Auction St. over to Mud Island and visit Mississippi River Greenbelt Park. Stop in the the downtown Welcome Center off Front St. by the overhead tram. Plenty of free parking and info.

GRR stops north of Memphis.

Like I said about Ar., much of the time in Tennessee the Great River Rd. isn't close to the river. Highway 51 is the main road north/south in west Tn.. And a fairly good drive at many points from it to the river. In Shelby County just north of Memohis the best view of the river is in Shelby Forrest. North on 51 to 388/Watkins Av. Follow the sighn to the Park HQ. They will direct you to the river. On the way there stop into the locally famous stop point. Shelby Forrest Store. The next stop further north is Randolph in Tipton Co. Take Hiway 59 west to Randoph. Favorite biker stop overlookin the river is John's Boatdock. Civil War markers worth reading. North on 51 to Henning. Tn, then 87 west to Ft. Pillow overlookin the river. Tour the fort. Get directions at the fort to head north to Golddust, then 19 east to Ripley. All of these roads are very nice pastoral rides. Continue north on GRR tour. Ps Most of the local riders use Shelby Forrest Store as a breakfast/lunch stop. Good luck on the ride, I never tire of seein Ol Man River.

Quote Originally Posted by OldNuke View Post

Let me add one more interesting stop/scenic view to the mix. It's called Elmer's Toy & Auto Museum on a bluff overlooking Fountain City, WI.

Looks like it's open the weekend before the rally. Not open during the week.
    Ride Hard, go far, and keep smilin...

Karol Patzer, Ambassador, 2014 BMW MOA Rally Chair
    Visit St. Paul July 24-27, 2014

Quote Originally Posted by OldNuke View Post

Thanks.....got Elmer's Auto and Toy museum added....never been there ....so that a good stop.
    2011 R1200 GSA (My Radio Flyer)
    75 R90/6 with Velorex sidecar

" Oh Lord I pray, Let me live long enough to do everything they say I've done"

Quote Originally Posted by R1100rtp View Post
    Looks like it's open the weekend before the rally. Not open during the week.
    OK, we where posting at same time... heck, maybe a call ahead would yield some consideration.... sounds like a great place and vista point.

Quote Originally Posted by Norwood View Post
    OK, we where posting at same time... heck, maybe a call ahead would yield some consideration.... sounds like a great place and vista point.
    It is a great place...5 barns full of stuff.
    Ride Hard, go far, and keep smilin...

Karol Patzer, Ambassador, 2014 BMW MOA Rally Chair
    Visit St. Paul July 24-27, 2014

Quote Originally Posted by barryg View Post
    Like I said about Ar., much of the time in Tennessee the Great River Rd. isn't close to the river. Highway 51 is the main road north/south in west Tn.. And a fairly good drive at many points from it to the river. In Shelby County just north of Memohis the best view of the river is in Shelby Forrest. North on 51 to 388/Watkins Av. Follow the sighn to the Park HQ. They will direct you to the river. On the way there stop into the locally famous stop point. Shelby Forrest Store. The next stop further north is Randolph in Tipton Co. Take Hiway 59 west to Randoph. Favorite biker stop overlookin the river is John's Boatdock. Civil War markers worth reading. North on 51 to Henning. Tn, then 87 west to Ft. Pillow overlookin the river. Tour the fort. Get directions at the fort to head north to Golddust, then 19 east to Ripley. All of these roads are very nice pastoral rides. Continue north on GRR tour. Ps Most of the local riders use Shelby Forrest Store as a breakfast/lunch stop. Good luck on the ride, I never tire of seein Ol Man River.
    Barry, got your Memphis locations added to the waypoint list.... thanks!
    Last edited by Norwood; 04-22-2014 at 03:55 AM. Reason: Concept Change

Memphis

If you decide to come into downtown Memphis and are not famililer with the city, probably best to head to the downtown welcome center just off Riverside Dr. Address is 119 N. Riverside Dr.. Scenic drive coming off the bluffs on I 55 to Riverside Dr.. The ladies at the center can point out a lot of the local sites to see and are very informative. It's worth it just to see the oversive statues of Elvis and B.B. King. Memphis is the real home of Soul, Rock&Roll, Blues, and Rockabilly.

Chickasaw Bluffs 1,2,3,4

The reason I give these 4 sites is due to geography. The 4 Chickasaw Bluffs. Memphis sits on the 4th bluff. Shelby Forrest the 3rd, Randolf the 2nd, and Fulton/Ft. Pillow the 1st. Geography lesson. The reason Helena Ar. exists is that it too sits on a bluff over the river. It's the southern end of Crowley's ridge. Class over, time for recess.

GRR sign downtown Marion,Ar.

Old Jailhouse

Historical marker

Just behind the old jail is what's left of Marion Lake. Marion was a riverboat town and port and the lake was the outlet to the river. Endless floods repeatedly wiped out the town till the leeve was completed about 100 years ago and cut Marion off from the river. Just one of endless stories about livin next to the Father of Waters.

National Brewery Museum and Restaurant

http://www.potosibrewery.com

One of my favorite places to stop for lunch or dinner along the river located about 5 hours south of the rally site. Great place to eat as well as tour the brewery museum.
    Darrell