Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Rollin' by THE GREAT RIVER ROAD to the MOA RALLY... Join the Ride!

Sultana monument, Marion Ar.

The SS Sultana monument is behind City Hall off Highway 77 at the intersection of Military Rd. The old Crittenden County jail is still standing and predates the the Civil War. Building and marker just east of the County court house 1/2 block on E. Court.

Pat Taylor at Grass Roots may have some good input on local info
    Ride Hard, go far, and keep smilin...

Karol Patzer, Ambassador, Director MOA Foundation
    2008/2014 BMW MOA Rally Chair

River Road GPS Routes

I'm riding from north of Atlanta and will get on the river road south of St. Louis or so. Can someone post some GPS routes to keep me on the river road. What I can find on line is too general and doesn't give me clear road numbers. Google maps use the name "great river rd." on and off. I'm using garmin basecamp to route and it doesn't list the road by name but in a couple places. Thanks

links to good maps would help too.

Quote Originally Posted by cduglas View Post
    I'm riding from north of Atlanta and will get on the river road south of St. Louis or so. Can someone post some GPS routes to keep me on the river road. What I can find on line is too general and doesn't give me clear road numbers. Google maps use the name "great river rd." on and off. I'm using garmin basecamp to route and it doesn't list the road by name but in a couple places. Thanks

Check these sites out: http://www.roadtripusa.com/routes/gr...reatriver.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Routing...sota_.28NSB.29

Also, the roads that make up the Great River Road are marked by signs with a ship's helm wheel logo throughout its length on both sides of the river.
    Last edited by OldNuke; 03-03-2014 at 03:20 PM. Reason: update
    When you come to a fork in the road, take it.

Great River Road

Quote Originally Posted by cduglas View Post

Look at these GPX files... they are choices from South of St. Louis to Ft. Madison or Hannibal area. The River Road runs really on both sides of the river and so marked...Hwy 61 in most areas... I found the times I ran the ride that I would cross the river at given points either bridges or ferry options to enhance the ride. There are many historic or national park/memorials POIs as well...

These routes are choices either East or West of St. Louis...
    Hope this helps.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Norwood; 04-22-2014 at 03:53 AM. Reason: Concept Change
    2011 R1200 GSA (My Radio Flyer)
    75 R90/6 with Velorex sidecar

" Oh Lord I pray, Let me live long enough to do everything they say I've done"

Fun Ferry Crossing

Cassville, WI to Turkey River, IA ferry crossing is always fun.

http://www.cassville.org/ferry.html

Thanks for the routes

Quote Originally Posted by Norwood View Post
    Working on building interest for this ride and hosts for each stop.....if there is not enough interest I will continue to post routes for interested riders.

I realize it early...to commit for many for a ride of this nature... but we continue to hope for more riders to say they will join at some point.

Look at these GPX files... they are choices from South of St. Louis to Ft. Madison or Hannibal area. The River Road runs really on both sides of the river and so marked...Hwy 61 in most areas... I found the times I ran the ride that I would cross the river at given points either bridges or ferry options to enhance the ride. There are many historic or national park/memorials POIs as well...

These routes are choices either East or West of St. Louis...
    Hope this helps.
    Thanks for the routes, part of the ride is in the planning and routing so I don't think it's ever too early to start. It just makes the ride that much more fun. This way you can start sharing the ride before you go, with the unfortunates that don't ride. Thanks again hope to see you on the road. Douglas

Quote Originally Posted by Norwood View Post
    Working on building interest for this ride and hosts for each stop.....
    I'm in. Mel plans to fly to St Paul, so now I can leave early and plan to meet you in Clarksdale. Let me know how I can help.

For much of the Great River Road in Arkansas, it ain't near the river. You have to ride over the levee's to see it. One neat little stop is north of Marion between Wilson and Osceola. Highway 198 takes you over the levee to a scenic overlook. Nice view of the river. 4 or 5 historical markers tell of one of the largest unknown river battle of the Civil War, The Battle of Plum Bend or Plum Run Bend. Park like peaceful setting. If your not into crowds and traffic, this is your stop. Probably 5-10 miles off I-55, depending on the drive to it.

Helena, Ar.

Another quaint stop on the River road is Helena, Ar.. Old riverport town with much history of early Ar. Civil War battle and tour, and cemetary. Home of the famous King Biscuit Blues Fest. Step back in time to another era.

Routes are ready,working on adding waypoints and looking for hosts for Clarksdale MS area, Ste Genevieve, Mo, Hannibal day host, Dubuque Iowa.... someone to meet and greet fellow BMW riders...
    Attached Images Attached Images

Will you be posting the route GPX files for download soon? I want to join at least part of this ride.
    2013 R1200 GSW

Riding is the art of throwing yourself at the ground and missing

Quote Originally Posted by gr8ridn2 View Post
    Will you be posting the route GPX files for download soon? I want to join at least part of this ride.
    Yes, very soon.... Some legs have two choices...for example route East or West of Memphis and East or West of St. Louis... of course the River Road runs on either side and lots of exploring to do..... Rode the River a couple times and found each time... I would hop on a ferry or cross bridge to ride the other side for a while.....

Scenic Overlooks Along the Great River Road

Some of my favorite scenic overlooks along the upper portions of the Great River Road:

-Pikes Peak State Park, McGregor, IA
    -Wyalusing State Park, Bagley, WI
    -Mt Hosmer City Park, Lansing, IA
    -Grandad Bluff, Lacrosse, WI
    -Great River Bluff State Park, Dakota, MN
    -Buena Vista City Park, Alma, WI
    -Soldier's Memorial Park, Red Wing, MN
    -Barn Bluff, Red Wing, MN

View from Mt Hosmer
    Last edited by OldNuke; 03-15-2014 at 04:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by OldNuke View Post
    Some of my favorite scenic overlooks along the upper portions of the Great River Road:

-Pikes Peak State Park, McGregor, IA
    -Wyalusing State Park, Bagley, WI
    -Mt Hosmer City Park, Lansing, IA
    -Grandad Bluff, Lacrosse, WI
    -Great River Bluff State Park, Dakota, MN
    -Buena Vista City Park, Alma, WI
    -Soldier's Memorial Park, Red Wing, MN
    -Barn Bluff, Red Wing, MN
    Thanks, I have added your above waypoints to the GPX file (BaseCamp) .....

Am I correct....Pikes Peak Park is the best View of the Wisconsin and Mississippi Rivers merging?
    Attached Images Attached Images