Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Rollin' by THE GREAT RIVER ROAD to the MOA RALLY... Join the Ride!

Iowa's Oldest Restaurant and Drinking Establishment

http://www.breitbachscountrydining.com

Located about 5 hours south of the rally site overlooking the west side of the River. All 3 meals served.
    Darrell

Campground on River 2 Miles from Potosi

http://www.travelwisconsin.com/campg...on-area-200505

This campground is right on the river so you can watch the boats in the water and the trains that run along the river right from your tent. Run by the Corps of Engineers and has all the amenities that make camping fun. Only challenge might be the number of boats and trains all night long so sleep could be interrupted. National Brewery Museum and Restaurant only 2 miles away.
    Darrell

Quote Originally Posted by darrell View Post
    http://www.potosibrewery.com

One of my favorite places to stop for lunch or dinner along the river located about 5 hours south of the rally site. Great place to eat as well as tour the brewery museum.
    I agree... Good stop and food.... Have it added to Waypoint list, which is growing, which is a good thing!

The web site has winter hours...but by July it should change...
    2011 R1200 GSA (My Radio Flyer)
    75 R90/6 with Velorex sidecar

" Oh Lord I pray, Let me live long enough to do everything they say I've done"

Quote Originally Posted by Norwood View Post
    I agree... Good stop and food.... Have it added to Waypoint list, which is growing, which is a good thing!

The web site has winter hours...but by July it should change...
    Balltown Road is a great ride!!
    Ride Hard, go far, and keep smilin...

Karol Patzer, Ambassador, Director MOA Foundation
    2008/2014 BMW MOA Rally Chair

Waypoint list is growing!!! I will furnish a GPX file of all these when completed

I will furnish a GPX file of all the River Road Waypoints for your use... I will do this when the list is complete and near rally time.
    Attached Images Attached Images

...and more Waypoints

If you don't see your favorite stop on the Mississippi River.... post as much info as possible or a link and I will add to the master GPX file...
    Here just the Blues marker, I say here are the Blues markers, I say baby here are the Blues markers,
    First lesson in writing the blues....repeat at least three times...

So here are blues markers along the Missisissippi River.... just part of the 130 or so official markers in Mississippi.

.... I like crossing the river via Ferry... a few remain on the Miss a sip

Check the schedules in advance... many are only operational until certain hours....ask me how I know! It a long way around to the other side if closed. I will again furnish a GPX file of these locations as well. The GPX file in BaseCamp will have some opertional hours in the properties window under NOTES.

Quote Originally Posted by R1100rtp View Post
    Balltown Road is a great ride!!
    I agree that this is a great ride. I did it several years ago when I lived in Cedar Rapids, IA. Is the restaurant still open? They had good food.

Bill in Phoenix

Grassroots BMW

One of my favorite BMW caps. Grass Roots BMW. Pin is Cape Girardeau, Missouri, Celebrate Life on the Mississippi. Gotta be the only BMW dealer basically on the Mississippi. I would think a must stop for this ride.

Quote Originally Posted by barryg View Post
    One of my favorite BMW caps. Grass Roots BMW. Pin is Cape Girardeau, Missouri, Celebrate Life on the Mississippi. Gotta be the only BMW dealer basically on the Mississippi. I would think a must stop for this ride.
    Yes, and Pat Taylor is more than interested in helping/supporting the ride.
    Ride Hard, go far, and keep smilin...

Karol Patzer, Ambassador, Director MOA Foundation
    2008/2014 BMW MOA Rally Chair

Good place near St Louis on the illinois side

Fast Eddie's Bon Air
    1530 East 4th Street
    Alton, IL 62002
    (618) 462-5532
    fasteddiesbonair.com‎

Great bar, great food, lots of motorcycle specific parking, in Alton, Illinois along the Great River Road (or near to it).

I would love to join the group from St Louis, but I'll be leaving on Wednesday afternoon due to work, hopefully getting into Davenport, IA before dark, to start the last leg up the river on Thursday.

You can't go wrong on either side of the river around st Louis. More clear riding on the Illinois side as you have to head out I-70 to catch the River Road on the west side. Nice run on either side to Hannibal.

One of my favorite rides is out west of I-64 into the wine country on Highway 94, and then after a good hour in the twisties and Mark Twain national forest, head up the river to Hannibal, then back down on the Illinois side, with a stop in Grafton for ice cream before heading back across in Alton.

As for good restaurants on the west side, depends on whether you want to avoid the city or not. Good BBQ at Pappy's and Bogart's in the city.

The 20th, 22nd and 23rd are Cardinals night games at Busch stadium against the Dodgers and Tampa Bay for anyone on a different schedule.

Also if there are any solo riders coming through St Louis who need a crash pad for the night prior to Wednesday, I live in St Charles (just off I-70) if you intend to ride the west side of the river, and have a relatively comfy guest room. Unfortunately I can only host one or a couple that don't mind sharing a full-size bed together. I have room in the shed for a bike as well. You can PM with any questions. (I am also in the Anon book coming out)

Quote Originally Posted by barryg View Post
    They are strong supporters of Chartered Club 618 Shawnee Area Riders Association.
    I used to post here, but now I don't.

Their open house during the Trail of Tears rally last year a Very Good Event!
    Knick
    F800GS
    WR250R
    Vespa ET4

Rode over to the Memphis and Tennessee Welcome Center in downtown Memphis on Riverside Dr. and they have Great River Road Tennessee brochures; then rode over to the Arkansas State Welcome center in West Memphis, Ar.. They have brochures on the Great River Road Arkansas. Thought some might won't to stop in and get some for info or souvenir.