Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Gerbing Heated Clothes

Just another data point. I have been using a jacket liner for 1 1/2 years and G3 gloves for about a year. Since September, they have been used almost every day on my commute except for maybe about two weeks total when either I've been out of town, ice storms or it has been below -20F. Both have been reliable as well as the dual controller.
    1983 R100RT hacked w/Cozy Rocket My blog
    2012 Ural Patrol
    Airhead #10576

I did notice something new yesterday when I started out. I usually plug in before starting the engine, as trying to plug in after starting is always a bit cumbersome for me, and I found both lights blinking red and no power to the gloves. I switched both buttons off, and then back on, and the controller reset back to green blinking status. I assume that when cranking the engine, power was lost to the controller, which automatically protects itself from a surge once power comes back on, by defaulting to no power to the controller.... So from now on, I'll make sure both buttons are switched to off first, then start the engine, and then switch back on the heated elements.... Any thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by weschmann View Post
    I did notice something new yesterday when I started out. I usually plug in before starting the engine, as trying to plug in after starting is always a bit cumbersome for me, and I found both lights blinking red and no power to the gloves. I switched both buttons off, and then back on, and the controller reset back to green blinking status. I assume that when cranking the engine, power was lost to the controller, which automatically protects itself from a surge once power comes back on, by defaulting to no power to the controller.... So from now on, I'll make sure both buttons are switched to off first, then start the engine, and then switch back on the heated elements.... Any thoughts?
    I think that both lights blink red if the voltage to the controller drops below a certain point. I have my controller wired directly to the battery so it isn't losing power when starting. The battery voltage drops to about 11 v or so while starting and the Gerbings controller LEDs start to flash red. I usually leave mine unplugged until the engine is running.
    2012 Ural Patrol
    Airhead #10576

Quote Originally Posted by richardak View Post
    I think that both lights blink red if the voltage to the controller drops below a certain point. I have my controller wired directly to the battery so it isn't losing power when starting. The battery voltage drops to about 11 v or so while starting and the Gerbings controller LEDs start to flash red. I usually leave mine unplugged until the engine is running.
    I've got mine wired directly to the battery also. I did notice today that after starting the engine, then turning on the controller, with the lights starting out green but then changed to red and the gloves went cold, while setting with the engine idling. Had to pull over, turn off the controller and then turn back on to get green light back and electric to the gloves. So, back a bit to the drawing board to discover what is causing the voltage drop to a point where it affects the controller.... May be a problem with the jacket, so I disconnected the jacket and only plugged the gloves in.... If that takes care of the problem, then I know it's the jacket that may have a short in it that is causing my issues.... BTW, I don't have any other electric goodies running at this time, and I didn't have the heated grips working either, so I should have more than enough capacity to run both the gloves and heated jacket.....

Gerbing Heated Clothes

I've had mine in use for close to 5 years now. They are branded Harley-Davidson but are Gerbings. Started with the jacket liner and the gloves. Added the pants later. I have the duel controller that I clip to my pants or jacket pocket. That way I don't have to disconnect everything from the controller. Just unplug it from the bike and it all travels with me.

Power pigtails on all my bikes. BMW, Ural, Harley (sold) are all connected directly to the battery. The Gerbings heated gear has performed excellent and if there was any issue I could think of over the years it's that some parts like the neck collar and back can actually get too hot. You have to learn and get used to playing with the controller to find your comfort zone. But great gear from them. I have the older type, not the micro-wire newer stuff. The older is not comparable with the newer which kinda sucks if and when I need to swap out one of the components.

One other thing to consider if you have multiple bikes and want to use heated gear for all... the Beemer, Harley and Ural fully supported the voltage necessary to power accessories as well as all the heated gear. But a KLR650 that I owned did not. I could only use one item at a time or I was discharging my battery, even while riding.

Kind of ironic maybe but a couple of days after I posted my earlier reply (post #16), one of the connectors on the jacket liner failed. Just fatigue right above the strain relief. It was the one that provided power to the gloves. For now, I just ran the "Y" cable that came with the gloves through the Roadcrafter and tucked away the ones on the liner. I'll try out their warranty in a couple of months when I won't need the liner every day. Today was -24F and I am happy that the gloves are working again!
    2012 Ural Patrol
    Airhead #10576