Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Rally 2014 a Bust?

Odd, but in twenty-some years of MOA membership and lots of rallies I can't remember anyone ever complaining about it being COLD, but it seems like no matter where the rally is sited there's gonna be some bitchin' 'bout the HEAT. It's July, what do people expect?? MSP will be great this summer, and while yes, it can be hot and/or humid there, if you want to cool down you have lots of options--say a ride down south on the River Parkway or a side trip to Duluth for Aerostitch or Dylan fans. Or, you can do what I do and rotate between the shaded beer tent and the air-conditioned vendor areas. But taking a ride to cool off is usually a lot cheaper....

Billings will be great too, as there are all kinds of scenic day trips from there--including the Big Horn Mountains, where you can climb to almost 10k ft on some of the best curvy asphalt in the west. Lots of interesting sites to see, like the Big Horn Battlefield and more. It's all good, and I plan on being at both rallies but for now, the focus is on gearing up for Minneapolis.

Best,

GTRider
    DGerber
    1983 R80ST -- 1988 K100RS (r.i.p.) -- 1995 R1100RSL (gone, never forgotten) -- 2004 K1200GT w/Hannigan S/C -- 2010 K1300GT

Glade to see

I was very glade to see the 2014 rally too was shown on the Home Page. That was my point, yes it is nice the 2015 rally was announced, but to push this year rally to being second is what I found confusing.
    Tom
    '84 R100RT '04 CLC(gone) Honda NT700V
    BMW
    Beer Motorcycles Women

Quote Originally Posted by miairhead View Post
    I was very glade to see the 2014 rally too was shown on the Home Page. That was my point, yes it is nice the 2015 rally was announced, but to push this year rally to being second is what I found confusing.
    Tom

Thanks!!! Billings will be great in 2015 but Check your calendar.......it's 2014, and we have a rally to talk about in July. Mark your calendars for Billings, and set a reminder for 2015. Start planning NOW for St Paul...It's sooner than you think, and we're gonna have a great party!!!
    Last edited by R1100rtp; 01-25-2014 at 02:37 AM.
    Ride Hard, go far, and keep smilin...

Karol Patzer, Ambassador, 2014 BMW MOA Rally Chair
    Visit St. Paul July 24-27, 2014

Hey Karol....I am going to try really hard to be there....
    Vance Harrelson
    MOA Ambassador/ Director
    R1200GSA - G450X - G650GS Sertao
    "Always Remember, Whatever You Believe, You Might Be Wrong" - Paul Thorn

2014 - 2015 Rally Locations

There, I was already able to plan my route from the St. Paul rally to the Billing's rally with this advance information
    Attached Images Attached Images
    92 K75s (never sell), 97 F650st (sold), 04 R1100s (now owned by a deer), and about 10 others

Quote Originally Posted by chasman View Post
    Well I'm gonna tell you all what...the next several days in Bloomington, IL will have night time lows of -6 to -11 with no warm up in the next 7+ days. I'm ready for WARM!
    I ran against Bloomington in track my senior year of high school... 1985 Paxton high school.
    2005 R1200RT
    BMWMOA # 143779
    "Positive Habit Transfer is no substitute for Situational Awareness."

Quote Originally Posted by GTRider View Post
    Odd, but in twenty-some years of MOA membership and lots of rallies I can't remember anyone ever complaining about it being COLD, but it seems like no matter where the rally is sited there's gonna be some bitchin' 'bout the HEAT. It's July, what do people expect??
    Those people should get a list of available hotels with air conditioners within a 50 mile riding distance... Problem solved.
    2005 R1200RT
    BMWMOA # 143779
    "Positive Habit Transfer is no substitute for Situational Awareness."

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by k75s View Post
    There, I was already able to plan my route from the St. Paul rally to the Billing's rally with this advance information
    Looks like the shortest possible route for a typical BMW owner.
    Kevin Greenwald - Touring Tips Editor
    Nationally Certified Law Enforcement Motor Officer (Ret.) / IBA Member #34281
    MSF RiderCoach # 121656 (BRC,SBRC,IS,IME,SMARTrainer)
    Motorcycle/Driving Instructor - ROAD AMERICA Race Track

Quote Originally Posted by k75s View Post
    Vance Harrelson
    MOA Ambassador/ Director
    R1200GSA - G450X - G650GS Sertao
    "Always Remember, Whatever You Believe, You Might Be Wrong" - Paul Thorn

Quote Originally Posted by miairhead View Post
    I kind of amazed that the 2015 Rally is such a big deal: When the 2014 is months away? I guess the 2014 is going to be a bust because in the the 'Midwest' and who the the heck wants one there?
    Okay I am being cynical. I just feel at that time a notice of the location, not days of main feature on home page.
    Hey, Tom

Mind changing your Title to Rally 2014 OR Bust?? I understand your concern, and appreciate it...but everytime I go to the forum, I see this. Appreciate that you're being cynical, and thanks for speaking up, and helping make the change. There's a lot of folks workin' hard to make sure it's NOT a bust.

If you feel that way when it's over, by all means start it again.
    Ride Hard, go far, and keep smilin...

Karol Patzer, Ambassador, 2014 BMW MOA Rally Chair
    Visit St. Paul July 24-27, 2014

I have been to every MOA National Rally since Missoula '84 except Moodus '93 when I changed jobs about 2 weeks before the rally and had Zero vacation. Voni however did make Moodus so has been to every one since '84. I think that is 30 in a row. For the first 20 or so of those we had jobs and kids, and house payments and all of that but still managed to see our friends at the National rally. But we didn't have a garden to take care of, or HD TV to watch.

We will be at St. Paul - the first truly major-metropolitan urban MOA rally ever.
    And we will be at Billings in 2015, barring the unforseen.

As for Billings, we have travelled through, and camped at, Billings in the summer on several occasions. It is and will be a pleasant place for a rally.

I have concluded the north, south, east, west, region 1, 2, 3, 4 or whatever is actually meaningless. When it comes to rally sites I have only one questions - is it above 3,000 ft. MSL?
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://www.bigbend.net/users/glaves

Quote Originally Posted by rangerreece View Post
    I ran against Bloomington in track my senior year of high school... 1985 Paxton high school.
    Two of my sisters live in Bloomington Ill. Coldest ride to date for me was leaving from St. Louie, in 30 degree weather to ride up for a quick lunch with them....... It was supposed to get warmer during the day, but never did, and I didn't dress correctly for even the morning start.... Got to just before Springfield and needed gas, so stopped at a filling station and tried to drink a cup of coffee after filling up. Was shaking sooooo bad that I spilled most of the coffee all over my hand from the shakes....:-) Had a great time!

Quote Originally Posted by PGlaves View Post
    ... I have only one questions - is it above 3,000 ft. MSL?
    Okay, Paul, I give up. Why does the altitude of the site make a difference to you? 3,000 MSL does not seem like much, hardly noticeable to most folks.
    Royce
    On the coast of Kansas
    2012 F800ST

Quote Originally Posted by royce View Post
    Okay, Paul, I give up. Why does the altitude of the site make a difference to you? 3,000 MSL does not seem like much, hardly noticeable to most folks.
    Because most of the hot swampy parts of the country are below 3K MSL, and at and above 3K MSL you are at a location that generally cools off considerably as soon as the Sun goes down.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://www.bigbend.net/users/glaves

Quote Originally Posted by PGlaves View Post
    Because most of the hot swampy parts of the country are below 3K MSL, and at and above 3K MSL you are at a location that generally cools off considerably as soon as the Sun goes down.
    All pilots know that the "normal" temperature change is 2 degrees C or 3.5 degrees F per thousand feet of altitude change. That is why you take a jacket liner to go over that 12,000 ft mountain pass in Colorado in July.
    Jim Dubick
    Boaz, Alabama
    R1200RT,R100/7,KLX250
    BMW MOA, BMW MOAL, AMA, CMA