Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Rally 2014 a Bust?

Rally 2014 a Bust?

I kind of amazed that the 2015 Rally is such a big deal: When the 2014 is months away? I guess the 2014 is going to be a bust because in the the 'Midwest' and who the the heck wants one there?
    Okay I am being cynical. I just feel at that time a notice of the location, not days of main feature on home page.
    Tom
    '84 R100RT '04 CLC(gone) Honda NT700V
    BMW
    Beer Motorcycles Women

TravelsWithBarley.com
    I'm looking forward to both, as both put me into some phenomenal riding on the trip there and back. And since Billings is so far from the major population centers I appreciate the advance notice. It gives me time to line up the extra vacation time I'll need; Barley is getting old and I'm trying to lower the number of hours we're moving every day so he has time to enjoy himself and pee on the flowers.
    '07 R1200GS for solo rides
    '10 R1200GSA with Hannigan dual sport sidecar for rides with Barley

The midwest is close to many, many members. I believe the rally held in Lima, OH set the record for the largest attendance, although I don't know if that record still stands. I expect a very large turnout in St. Paul, and also expect the buzz about Billings to die down until the fall or winter.
    Dan

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by miairhead View Post
    I kind of amazed that the 2015 Rally is such a big deal: When the 2014 is months away? I guess the 2014 is going to be a bust because in the the 'Midwest' and who the the heck wants one there?
    Okay I am being cynical. I just feel at that time a notice of the location, not days of main feature on home page.
    I don't think its 'cynical' to notice something out of the ordinary and say "Hey - what's up with this?"

Traditionally, the rug was never pulled out from under the upcoming rally planners this early, and I had hoped that the Montana announcement was just a case of being 'outed' by the local Chamber of Commerce in Billings.

However, the more I read, that theory seems to have some holes in it, and may go the way of the Titanic.

Both rallies offer something unique to the club in terms of geography, attractions, population density and distance to target. I wish great success for each site, and agree that Billings was a good selection.

However, with Karol and her crew ramping up the already long hours they are putting in to make St. Paul another MOA success story, I agree - enough about Billings - let's focus on this coming July and all that MN has to offer.
    Kevin Greenwald - Touring Tips Editor
    Nationally Certified Law Enforcement Motor Officer (Ret.) / IBA Member #34281
    MSF RiderCoach # 121656 (BRC,SBRC,IS,IME,SMARTrainer)
    Motorcycle/Driving Instructor - ROAD AMERICA Race Track

Quote Originally Posted by greenwald View Post
    ...Traditionally, the rug was never pulled out from under the upcoming rally planners this early, and I had hoped that the Montana announcement was just a case of being 'outed' by the local Chamber of Commerce in Billings....
    I see nothing wrong with everyone knowing several future locations in advance. I would like to know, for instance, where the rallies are planned until, say, 2020. However, I appreciate how much effort that would require of our volunteers. Perhaps "volunteer scouting parties"?
    Royce
    On the coast of Kansas
    2012 F800ST

Certifiable Old Fart beemerdons's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by royce View Post
    I see nothing wrong with everyone knowing several future locations in advance. I would like to know, for instance, where the rallies are planned until, say, 2020. However, I appreciate how much effort that would require of our volunteers. Perhaps "volunteer scouting parties"?
    +1, Gunny; I agree with royce, there is no reasonable need to keep future MOA Rally locations "under wraps"!
    Don Stanley; aka Chuy Medina "El Burrito Ballerina"
    BMWMOA #24810; www.azbeemers.org/forum #89

It has been MOA policy for quite a few years to announce at the January board meeting the following year's rally location. The policy was a result of members requesting an earlier announcement. Promotion of the the next rally always begins at the current year rally. Following each announcement there are always several days of discussion by members. A time or two we had to delay the announcement until the April meeting because all contracts were not finalized.
    Chuck Manley #12106
    2012 Howlin' at the Moon Rally Chair
    Ambassador, Knights of the Roundel #333, IBA Member, Life Member NRA
    Black '13 R12GSA (the Outlaw), Black '02 K12RS (157K)

Quote Originally Posted by miairhead View Post
    As another posting said............Billings can be HOT. I remember back in 1998, after the Missoula Rally........Billings to Sheridan on I-90........toasty. Like the inside of a patio grill with the dial set on high. Sorta kinda like Bloomsburg. However, prior to the Missoula rally, I spent a few delightful days in St. Paul........the weather was great.

So, enjoy the rally in St. Paul, if you can go. Similarly, do the same the the following year.
    Cave contents: 99 R11RS, 2013 Toyota Tacoma, 03 Simplicity Legacy, 97 Stihl FS75, Dewalt DW625 & DW744

I'm going to keep saying this until someone believes me.....

BUT IT IS A DRY HEAT....
    Kevin Huddy
    Intrepid Incompetent
    Tm Pterodactyl MT Outpost

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by akbeemer View Post
    I'm going to keep saying this until someone believes me.....

BUT IT IS A DRY HEAT....
    So is my Kenmore oven at 400 degrees!

HOT is HOT.
    Kevin Greenwald - Touring Tips Editor
    Nationally Certified Law Enforcement Motor Officer (Ret.) / IBA Member #34281
    MSF RiderCoach # 121656 (BRC,SBRC,IS,IME,SMARTrainer)
    Motorcycle/Driving Instructor - ROAD AMERICA Race Track

Certifiable Old Fart beemerdons's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by greenwald View Post
    So is my Kenmore oven at 400 degrees!

HOT is HOT.
    Oh please Kevin, here in Phoenix we don't even take our sweaters off until it gets to 100 degrees! jes' sayin' and nuff said!

Don Stanley; aka Chuy Medina "El Burrito Ballerina"
    BMWMOA #24810; www.azbeemers.org/forum #89

Well I'm gonna tell you all what...the next several days in Bloomington, IL will have night time lows of -6 to -11 with no warm up in the next 7+ days. I'm ready for WARM!
    Chuck Manley #12106
    2012 Howlin' at the Moon Rally Chair
    Ambassador, Knights of the Roundel #333, IBA Member, Life Member NRA
    Black '13 R12GSA (the Outlaw), Black '02 K12RS (157K)

Cliche though it is, it's still true.

I rode across the country to go to the Vermont rally in 2006 and I can tell you that 120F in Needles, CA was far more bearable than 103F in Joplin, MO. BTW, it rained some in Essex Junction and it was never very warm. I had a great time anyway.

Anyway, the average temperature in Billings in July is 89 (and 57 at night). That's not so hot. If the occasional bout of MOA rally voodoo happens and it's 99, then it'll be hot. So what? Just carry water and wear a hat, and you'll be ok.
    --Darryl Richman, forum liaison
    http://darryl.crafty-fox.com

Quote Originally Posted by darrylri View Post
    Cliche though it is, it's still true.

I rode across the country to go to the Vermont rally in 2006 and I can tell you that 120F in Needles, CA was far more bearable than 103F in Joplin, MO. BTW, it rained some in Essex Junction and it was never very warm. I had a great time anyway.

Anyway, the average temperature in Billings in July is 89 (and 57 at night). That's not so hot. If the occasional bout of MOA rally voodoo happens and it's 99, then it'll be hot. So what? Just carry water and wear a hat, and you'll be ok.
    Average July high temp in Bloomsburg PA is 82 with an evening low of 58. So, 7 degrees hotter than Bloomsburg. Toasty.
    Cave contents: 99 R11RS, 2013 Toyota Tacoma, 03 Simplicity Legacy, 97 Stihl FS75, Dewalt DW625 & DW744

I moved from the Mojave Desert (FT Irwin) to the interior of Alaska. The delta of the temperature extremes I experienced at the two locations is 180 degrees (+114 / -66). Good thing we drove. If we had flown we might have cracked.
    Kevin Huddy
    Intrepid Incompetent
    Tm Pterodactyl MT Outpost