Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 117

Thread: Dynabeads

  1. #16
    Lucky motorradmike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Ontario
    Posts
    1,234
    Quote Originally Posted by saddleman View Post
    With dynabeads you should check the pressure with the valve stem at the 4 or 8 o'clock position to avoid the beads getting in the valve.
    4 or 8?

    I always check pressure at 6 o'clock and have not had that problem but obviously, it's possible. I check pressure every ride day.
    Since Tom's buddy had it 3 times there might be something else at play.

    Old beads get sticky, I only re-use them twice now(3 times total).
    Mounting a new tire with more than a minimum of tire lube could be a factor.

    In any case, if you put a puff of air in before checking pressure you can blow any beads off the valve.
    Mike Marr
    1978 Yamaha XS750 (Needs rings), 1996 BMW R1100RS, 2004 Honda CRF230F

  2. #17
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Edmonton, Alberta
    Posts
    1
    I saw a customer return his bike to the dealer that installed dynabeads with his new tire. It was severely out of balance. Some moisture from the bead lube/sealer that was used got inside and the beads all stuck together in one big glob in one spot. That was enough for me to decide I will never use dynabeads, regardless of the magic powers and possessed demons or nano bots they claim to have. I only regret that I did not think of this modern snake oil first.

    I'm looking for partners in my new venture 'FuelBeads'. New 'FuelBeads' are tiny weighted ceramic balls that you pour in your gas tank that all automatically go to one side if your tank to the other during turns, thereby moving your centre of gravity toward the inside of the corner allowing deeper leans and faster cornering all without hanging off the side anymore.







    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

  3. #18
    Day Dreaming ... happy wanderer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Vancouver, B.C. Canada
    Posts
    1,939
    Great first post Homebrew. Welcome here. Dynabeads are kind of like... oil.
    MJM - BeeCeeBeemers Motorcycle Club Vancouver B.C.
    '81 R80G/S, '82 R100RS, '00 R1100RT

  4. #19
    Left Coast Rider
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Vancouver Canada
    Posts
    1,019
    I think next time I'll be using the "search" function.

  5. #20
    2011 R1200RT ka5ysy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Prairieville, Louisiana
    Posts
    786
    Quote Originally Posted by happy wanderer View Post
    Great first post Homebrew. Welcome here. Dynabeads are kind of like... oil.
    Oh Lord ... you mentioned the "O" word ...
    Doug, 2011 R1200RT Polar Metallic
    MSF #127350 NAUI #36288

  6. #21
    What's that noise...? basketcase's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Alabama
    Posts
    983
    The dynabeads debate is also a hot topic on the Gold Wing boards (my other motorcycling "identity" for a number of years) and the opinions are varied.

    Some swear they are the cat's meow and others disdainfully hold their noses and point while exclaiming "don't step in that...!"

    Anyway, you asked for first hand experience so here is my sad tale.

    A Gold Winger I know swore by them so I tried them in my GL1500. They did seem to fine tune the roll of the bike at speed, but from zero to around 40 mph I had better hang onto the grips or the particular bike would go into a vicious tank-slapper.

    Granted, the GL1500's are known for a peculiar type of side to side wobble a low speeds, but the tank-slapper issue was a problem I did NOT have with that bike prior to installing the beads. The Wing was sold last year before I gravitated back to BMW.

    The upshot is that on -- whatever bike, the tire has to be rotating at a speed sufficient for the beads to distribute their selves in whatever physical spread is called for in order for them to do their job. So yes, they worked, but yes, they had their own weird behaviors.

    Next, reading up on them before the motorcycle installation I learned that some big RV's use them, and then I discovered some of the guys on the Ford Ranger forums had put them in their tires with (reported) success.

    So I tried them in my Ranger and after about 5,000 miles I had them removed and the tires machine balanced.

    Bottom line - I did not even think of having them put in the RT when I had it in the shop two weeks ago for new rubber.

    FWIW
    '98 BMW Z3 Roadster, '00 R1100RT

    If you insist on exercising a right to burn our flag, first be so kind as to wrap yourself in it and then douse yourself with gasoline just before you strike the match.

  7. #22
    Jammess jammess's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Florence, OR.
    Posts
    613
    I tried the beads with my R1150RT and R100RT. Then I bought a good quality static balancer and a collection of wheel weights. I found that very careful static balancing results in a very stable ride and great tire life. Can't say the same for the beads. With the dyna beads I noticed what can best be described as a rough road feel on smooth pavement up to about 30 or so mph. With the static balancer I get less cupping on the front tire compared to bead balancing so for me its traditional wheel balancing.
    Jammess

  8. #23
    Registered User kenlavine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Western Massachusetts
    Posts
    39
    I statically balance the wheel/tire AND use the dynabeads for all the above reasons.

  9. #24
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Eastern KY
    Posts
    3,199
    I use them & have never experienced any of the negatives mentioned above or elsewhere in "bead threads". Some have also used soft pellets in car & MC tires & say they work fine. There's a guy on ebay selling ceramic & steel beads for tire balancing.
    "If I had my life to live over, I'd dare to make more mistakes next time...I'd relax,I'd limber up... I would take fewer things seriously...take more chances... take more trips...climb more mountains...swim more rivers...eat more ice cream." Jorge Luis Borges at age 85.

  10. #25
    Kawa Afterthought weschmann's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    DeSoto MO
    Posts
    219
    I changed tires about 2000 miles before the summer Salem rally, with dynabeads for balancing, and then put a 6000 mile ride on them, and a couple more 1K miles after that. My K bike was rock solid at 100+ speeds coming back through Montana and North Dakota, and I found the front tire had less cupping with the beads than with the previous static wheel weights. The rear tire still had plenty of rubber on her (Pilot Road 3's) when I traded her in on a F700GS.... So, when the Battlewings wear out on my Kleiner Roter Bergsteiger, I'll be using the beads again, as I don't have a balancer, and use spoons to change my tires, so that if I have a flat out on the road, I have the experience to change them......
    Over that 10,000 miles with the beads, I never had any difficulty with the valves getting clogged. I always place the valve stem about half way up so that all the beads are at the bottom of the tire, so there is hardly any possibility of them getting clogged in the valve.....

  11. #26
    Fahren Away pradinc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Central MA
    Posts
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by basketcase View Post
    The dynabeads debate is also a hot topic on the Gold Wing boards (my other motorcycling "identity" for a number of years) and the opinions are varied.

    Some swear they are the cat's meow and others disdainfully hold their noses and point while exclaiming "don't step in that...!"

    Anyway, you asked for first hand experience so here is my sad tale.

    A Gold Winger I know swore by them so I tried them in my GL1500. They did seem to fine tune the roll of the bike at speed, but from zero to around 40 mph I had better hang onto the grips or the particular bike would go into a vicious tank-slapper.

    Granted, the GL1500's are known for a peculiar type of side to side wobble a low speeds, but the tank-slapper issue was a problem I did NOT have with that bike prior to installing the beads. The Wing was sold last year before I gravitated back to BMW.

    The upshot is that on -- whatever bike, the tire has to be rotating at a speed sufficient for the beads to distribute their selves in whatever physical spread is called for in order for them to do their job. So yes, they worked, but yes, they had their own weird behaviors.

    Next, reading up on them before the motorcycle installation I learned that some big RV's use them, and then I discovered some of the guys on the Ford Ranger forums had put them in their tires with (reported) success.

    So I tried them in my Ranger and after about 5,000 miles I had them removed and the tires machine balanced.

    Bottom line - I did not even think of having them put in the RT when I had it in the shop two weeks ago for new rubber.

    FWIW
    Falling prey to some of the hysteria on one of the Goldwing forums back in the day, I tried Dynabeads only once in a GL1800 I had, but I couldn't see that they made any difference and went back to regular balance weights. Fortunately, we didn't experience any tank slappers (outside of the not-unusual deceleration wobble). The Goldwing is gone and I will not be using Dynabeads in my GS as I don't see the need.
    Last edited by pradinc; 02-05-2014 at 02:17 PM.

  12. #27
    Kawa Afterthought weschmann's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    DeSoto MO
    Posts
    219
    I've used Dyna-beads in my K1200 bike for 27,000 miles of riding, but have moved to a F700 Adventure bike. Will be changing my tires out to Heidenau 50/50 tires in a couple of months, just before the GS Giant activities in July at St. Paul. Does anyone have any experience with using Dyna-beads in an adventure tire? I've used them in the past because I change tires by hand and don't have a balancer. If the experience out there is negative for this tire, I'll just go ahead and have them mounted at a motorcycle shop and get them balanced......I'd appreciate any feedback, and don't want to start any lead weight vs. beads balancing wars.....

  13. #28
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    357
    I've used Dyna beads for about 7 years in a K75 and a R1150RT. K75 still has the ME880s and they're smooth and balanced. R1150RT got DB and a set of PR3s that lasted 18,000 miles of mainly commuting. No I don't run the tires completely bald. My buddies have looked at my good luck with them and have switched too. No bad luck here in at least 5 sets of tires.

  14. #29
    Registered User dadayama's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Oklahoma City
    Posts
    230
    I have used them since 2009 and about 4 or 5 tire set changes...

    No problems...

    I will not sing their praise but i like them and have had no issues... i recycle for the most part and have purchased a second set to top off what i lose during the tire change..

    A lot of negative BS goes on about them that i don't think they deserve.. don't know about tire life... but with the balance issue the detractors are full of .....

    There is no wrong answer, if you like to balance the traditional way do it... if you want to try to beads ( they are not the only brand out there) then try it. maybe it works for you.
    Ich Fahre Nicht Zu Schnell, Ich Fliege Nur Niedrig
    Oklahoma Adventure Trail

  15. #30
    Lucky motorradmike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Ontario
    Posts
    1,234
    Quote Originally Posted by dadayama View Post

    A lot of negative BS goes on about them that i don't think they deserve.. don't know about tire life... but with the balance issue the detractors are full of .....
    I think the problem is that it's really difficult to describe how they work and setting up a demonstration is too much of a PITA.
    The beads in a bottle with a drill is a good demo but it's a bottle, not a tire.
    The strobe on the clear wheel is also good but it's a lawnmower wheel, not a MC wheel.

    Some demos are fun and easy and get people interested in figuring out what's really going on.
    My favourite is 3 neodymium magnets dropped through a 12" length of copper pipe to show that the current induced in the pipe makes a magnetic field that slows down the magnets.

    There doesn't seem to be a "Hey guys, watch this" demo for the beads.
    Mike Marr
    1978 Yamaha XS750 (Needs rings), 1996 BMW R1100RS, 2004 Honda CRF230F

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •