Results 1 to 15 of 19

Thread: Type of Oil to Use

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    9

    Type of Oil to Use

    I recently purchased a 2007 F650GS. In the manual that came with it I noticed it stated NOT to use synthetic oil.
    Is this really true? What are the implications of using synthetic oil?
    I have a '71 R75/5 and mix regular with synthetic in that one.
    I hope someone has a definitive, technical answer.
    Thanks.
    Dave

  2. #2
    RD'nNH&AZ rdhudson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Summer in Lakes Region of NH and winter in the Sonoran Desert of AZ
    Posts
    139

    Well I don't

    Your '71 bike needs ZDDP (google is your friend) added to the oil as neither of the oils you are using have much and that bike has sliding surfaces (cam and tappets for ex.) that are not going to be properly lubricated without it. ZDDP has been removed in "modern" oils to prevent catalyst degradation.
    I don't understand the reasoning for not following BMWs recommendation but I know that is not what you asked for. If you want years worth of reading on oil, search this and any other forum.
    BTW I have been testing oils for 50 years in my vehicles. All work- more or less. I expect the engineers that work for manufacturers have reason's for requiring a defined oil standard. They rarely tell you why. Your risk I'd say. Sorry to not be more "technical" but it isn't needed here. Best of luck and my guess is the Syn-dino will work fine, not better than BMW's recommended oil but it probably won't damage anything (I hope.)
    Perhaps go to F650.com and read their faq.
    2002 F650GS, 1998 R1100R 75th anniversary edition, 1983 R80RT (just sold), 1959 R60 (in restoration), Honda CT90
    If you must make a mistake, make a new one each time.

  3. #3
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    9
    Quote Originally Posted by rdhudson View Post
    Your '71 bike needs ZDDP (google is your friend) added to the oil as neither of the oils you are using have much and that bike has sliding surfaces (cam and tappets for ex.) that are not going to be properly lubricated without it. ZDDP has been removed in "modern" oils to prevent catalyst degradation.
    I don't understand the reasoning for not following BMWs recommendation but I know that is not what you asked for. If you want years worth of reading on oil, search this and any other forum.
    BTW I have been testing oils for 50 years in my vehicles. All work- more or less. I expect the engineers that work for manufacturers have reason's for requiring a defined oil standard. They rarely tell you why. Your risk I'd say. Sorry to not be more "technical" but it isn't needed here. Best of luck and my guess is the Syn-dino will work fine, not better than BMW's recommended oil but it probably won't damage anything (I hope.)
    Perhaps go to F650.com and read their faq.
    Thanks for your reply.
    From all the responses, it appears synthetic can be used but watch the specs on the oil. i.e., Wet Clutch compatible.
    Dave

  4. #4
    Registered User Rob.rautenstrauch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    East Amherst, NY
    Posts
    16
    Quote Originally Posted by DROWINSKI View Post
    I recently purchased a 2007 F650GS. In the manual that came with it I noticed it stated NOT to use synthetic oil.
    Is this really true? What are the implications of using synthetic oil?
    I have a '71 R75/5 and mix regular with synthetic in that one.
    I hope someone has a definitive, technical answer.
    Thanks.
    Dave
    Hi Dave,

    From what I recall reading, in certain conditions synthetic oil can cause clutch slippage. I just use the recommended oil though, so I have never experienced it. Like the other guy said, the F650 FAQ site is a great place to go.

    Safe travels,
    Rob

  5. #5
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Grayling, MI
    Posts
    130
    Dave I believe the problem with many of the synthetic oils is that they are not compatible with a wet clutch.

    As I recall the synthetic oils that have a JASO MA-2 rating are compatible.

    My last oil change I went to Castrol Power RS V-Twin 4T 20w-50.

    Their web site reads "delivers wet clutch performance" whatever that means.

    It carries the JASO MA-2 rating.

    While my G650GS is not a V-Twin - it thinks it is at times.

    Wayne Koppa
    Grayling, MI
    #71449

  6. #6
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Eastern KY
    Posts
    3,247
    Yes it's true-my owners manual- 2012 G650GS says no synthetic for so many miles-I think it's 10k. On F650 there are lots of people that use Rotella full Syn(I'll use it after wrrty ends) and no problems with the clutch they say-of course google tells you more on this subject of Rotella vs wet clutches. I do their rewards points & it almost pays for my oil-I use it in cars & trucks & tractors too!
    "If I had my life to live over, I'd dare to make more mistakes next time...I'd relax,I'd limber up... I would take fewer things seriously...take more chances... take more trips...climb more mountains...swim more rivers...eat more ice cream." Jorge Luis Borges at age 85.

  7. #7
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Northern Front Range, CO
    Posts
    6,437
    getting an oil that is wet-clutch compatible is the goal, synth or dino should make no difference whatsoever once past the break-in period. (other than that synth can go longer between changes without degrading, and offers better heat management than dino). if you buy a m/c specific oil, of the appropriate SAE grade (10W40 or 20W50, SF, SG etc as called for), you will be fine.
    Ride Safe, Ride Lots

  8. #8
    Registered User chewbacca's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    144
    Quote Originally Posted by bikerfish1100 View Post
    getting an oil that is wet-clutch compatible is the goal, synth or dino should make no difference whatsoever once past the break-in period. (other than that synth can go longer between changes without degrading, and offers better heat management than dino). if you buy a m/c specific oil, of the appropriate SAE grade (10W40 or 20W50, SF, SG etc as called for), you will be fine.
    What he said! Synthetic or dino makes no difference, it is the appropriate spec that counts. The only point that that I disagree with is the "m/c specific" part. There are a ton of old time, long distance riders who have used Mobil 1 red cap in the past and even various diesel oils with no problems. You just need to know what spec to choose.
    Old But Not Dead
    Semper Fi

  9. #9
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    9
    Quote Originally Posted by bikerfish1100 View Post
    getting an oil that is wet-clutch compatible is the goal, synth or dino should make no difference whatsoever once past the break-in period. (other than that synth can go longer between changes without degrading, and offers better heat management than dino). if you buy a m/c specific oil, of the appropriate SAE grade (10W40 or 20W50, SF, SG etc as called for), you will be fine.
    Thanks for your reply. Looks like synth is OK. I'll be paying attention to the specs when I purchase oil for the next change. "Wet Clutch" is another term to look for. Dave

  10. #10
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    9
    Quote Originally Posted by kantuckid View Post
    Yes it's true-my owners manual- 2012 G650GS says no synthetic for so many miles-I think it's 10k. On F650 there are lots of people that use Rotella full Syn(I'll use it after wrrty ends) and no problems with the clutch they say-of course google tells you more on this subject of Rotella vs wet clutches. I do their rewards points & it almost pays for my oil-I use it in cars & trucks & tractors too!
    Thanks for your reply. I'll definitely look into the Rotella and other recommendations before the next oil change. I don't think I saw a mileage spec on when synth could be used. I'll read the manual again and also look at more forums. The bike does have >10k on it. I expect to put that much on it just this year.
    Dave

  11. #11
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    9
    Quote Originally Posted by wkoppa View Post
    Dave I believe the problem with many of the synthetic oils is that they are not compatible with a wet clutch.

    As I recall the synthetic oils that have a JASO MA-2 rating are compatible.

    My last oil change I went to Castrol Power RS V-Twin 4T 20w-50.

    Their web site reads "delivers wet clutch performance" whatever that means.

    It carries the JASO MA-2 rating.

    While my G650GS is not a V-Twin - it thinks it is at times.

    Wayne Koppa
    Grayling, MI
    #71449
    Wayne,
    Thanks for your specific recommendations. Looks like I can go with synth - just pay attention to the specs.
    I'll be riding in Michigan this summer in the Pontiac area.
    Dave

  12. #12
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    9
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob.rautenstrauch View Post
    Hi Dave,

    From what I recall reading, in certain conditions synthetic oil can cause clutch slippage. I just use the recommended oil though, so I have never experienced it. Like the other guy said, the F650 FAQ site is a great place to go.

    Safe travels,
    Rob
    Rob,
    Thanks for your reply. I had specific recommendations from other replies about oils. "Wet Clutch" also came up in some of those responses. The F650 is different than the R75/5 that I've had for over 38 years, so I want the best for it to get the 100K+ miles I have on the R75. Differences include: fuel injection; water cooling; and HEATED GRIPS!!! The only minus is a chain. Maybe I'll convert it to a belt at some point in the future.

  13. #13
    BMW Pilot runnr548's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    The Atomic City
    Posts
    124
    Using Royal Purple in two thumpers and a 650 twin with great success over 24,000 miles

    Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

  14. #14
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    9
    Quote Originally Posted by runnr548 View Post
    Using Royal Purple in two thumpers and a 650 twin with great success over 24,000 miles

    Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk
    Thanks for your reply and testimonial for Royal Purple. The bike is past its break-in mileage, so synth should be OK. Wet Clutch is another factor to look for in choosing the oil. Dave

  15. #15
    BMW Pilot runnr548's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    The Atomic City
    Posts
    124
    http://www.royalpurpleconsumer.com/p...le-engine-oil/


    Sent from my iPad via Tapatalk HD
    runnr548 :-)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •