Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Volunteer in St. Paul

Volunteer in St. Paul

Like most regular attendees, I have already volunteered. As Volunteer Chair, I'm looking forward to meeting more of the wonderful people who are the heart of the rally. If this is going to be your first rally, you will find that the best way to meet your new friends is by volunteering a few hours. You will learn much about the rally in those hours and it will truly enrich the rally experience. If you don't have an area that you think you would like to volunteer for, I can work with you to find something you would enjoy.
    Over 1000 volunteers, working in 2 or 4 hour shifts are what keep our rally running smoothly. Do you think you would like to help people get started by helping out in Registration or morning coffee, or are you qualified to be helping in First Aid? The Beer Team is always looking for volunteers and we all seem to be qualified in that area! Security, Bike Wash, Oil Change, Cyber Cafe, Awards and Tallies, Go-fers, Sanitation and many more areas are looking for a few hours of your time. In exchange they will give you a great experience and a new understanding of what it takes to make our small city in the middle of St. Paul run smoothly for the duration of the rally.
    Newcomers can never quite believe that we put on such a fabulous event. Working together to make it happen is how we roll, and we have fun doing it. If you want to secure your spot ahead of time, just email me. rallyvolunteer@bmwmoa.org If you would rather wait and check out what's happening first, the volunteer booth will be In the MOA building. Look for the big wind turbine ?blade." We'll be happy to help you find something you would like.
    Many thanks to all of our dedicated volunteers, past and present. You are the BMWMOA!

Hi Holly,

Since I live in the Twin Cities and will most certainly attend the rally, I would also like to volunteer, likely on multiple days.

Any ideas yet as to how the different groups will be organizing? I'm sure there'll be info in the ON, but this forum should be a great source as well.
    -----------------------------------------
    Brad D. - Member #105766
    '77 R100RS - Black Beauty (big pipe, baby!)
    '94 R1100RS - Sylvia

There will be (or already is ) a list of rally Chairs on the website. They are the folks to contact about hours/duties/ etc. I've beebn tented, gated and closing ceremonied. There's always something that needs to be done.... like being a gofer.
    Mac
    1986 R80RT, 2005 R1200GS
    Livin' Large On The Lake

Holly if I go, and it's still just an if due to work/family obligations, financial limitations, long ride from lower Alabama... I will volunteer. I've done the beer tent at other charity events and am very familiar with being a beer winch. Again this would be a huge leap for me to attend, but if I show I'll find you and I'll be one of your warm bodies.
    2005 R1200RT
    BMWMOA # 143779
    "Positive Habit Transfer is no substitute for Situational Awareness."

Hey Reece....maybe you could lead the AL delegation up the Great River Road Rally Ride
    Vance Harrelson
    MOA Ambassador/ Director
    R1200GSA - G450X - G650GS Sertao
    "Always Remember, Whatever You Believe, You Might Be Wrong" - Paul Thorn

Quote Originally Posted by alabeemer View Post
    Hey Reece....maybe you could lead the AL delegation up the Great River Road Rally Ride
    Sounds like fun. I'll have to get a new tent. After my daughter got back from an archeological dig in Fiji, with the tent, I just threw it away. It was a bio Hansard.
    2005 R1200RT
    BMWMOA # 143779
    "Positive Habit Transfer is no substitute for Situational Awareness."

Quote Originally Posted by braddog View Post
    Hi Holly,

Since I live in the Twin Cities and will most certainly attend the rally, I would also like to volunteer, likely on multiple days.

Any ideas yet as to how the different groups will be organizing? I'm sure there'll be info in the ON, but this forum should be a great source as well.
    Thank you. There will be lots of opportunities every day. We always need lots of people for registration, security and the beer tent. A tentative list would be:
    sanitation
    awards and tallies
    beer team
    bike wash & oil change stations
    charity
    children's events
    coffee
    communications
    cyber cafe
    decorations
    charging station
    entertainment
    environment
    first aid
    gates/security
    go-fers
    hospitality
    ice
    information
    local resourses
    media
    country store
    pin & patch
    receiving
    registration
    RVs
    sewing booth
    shuttle
    signs
    stage manager
    teens

Probably a bunch more. I haven't received specific requests from the other chairs yet but I'm sure we can find you something to do every day.

Holly
    rallyvolunteer@bmwmoa.org

Quote Originally Posted by rangerreece View Post
    Holly if I go, and it's still just an if due to work/family obligations, financial limitations, long ride from lower Alabama... I will volunteer. I've done the beer tent at other charity events and am very familiar with being a beer winch. Again this would be a huge leap for me to attend, but if I show I'll find you and I'll be one of your warm bodies.
    Thank you Reece. I won't put you on the list yet, but you can find me fairly easily if you get there (and I certainly hope you do--it sounds like you need the break!)

Quote Originally Posted by alabeemer View Post
    Now that sounds like the perfect way to get away from all those obligations! Fingers crossed that you can do that!

Holly

Quote Originally Posted by Holly View Post
    Thank you. There will be lots of opportunities every day. We always need lots of people for registration, security and the beer tent. A tentative list would be:
    sanitation
    awards and tallies

Probably a bunch more. I haven't received specific requests from the other chairs yet but I'm sure we can find you something to do every day.

Holly

Committee Chair list will be posted on the web by 2-05-2014 for a complete list of places to volunteer.
    Ride Hard, go far, and keep smilin...

Karol Patzer, Ambassador, 2014 BMW MOA Rally Chair
    Visit St. Paul July 24-27, 2014

TravelsWithBarley.com
    Not sure when we'll arrive, but Barley and I are looking forward to volunteering again. Maybe gofers this time; he just didn't have the personality for security duty.
    '07 R1200GS for solo rides
    '10 R1200GSA with Hannigan dual sport sidecar for rides with Barley

Quote Originally Posted by Glenfiddich View Post
    Not sure when we'll arrive, but Barley and I are looking forward to volunteering again. Maybe gofers this time; he just didn't have the personality for security duty.
    He's too cute to be tough

Quote Originally Posted by Glenfiddich View Post
    Thanks, I've got you and Barley on the list. People will be lining up to ride with Barley (oh and you too...)

Since she knows that I'll be there for the duration of the rally, my wife is considering being a volunteer. She is not an MOA member. Any rules or regulations about non-MOA members volunteering?
    -----------------------------------------
    Brad D. - Member #105766
    '77 R100RS - Black Beauty (big pipe, baby!)
    '94 R1100RS - Sylvia

Quote Originally Posted by braddog View Post
    Since she knows that I'll be there for the duration of the rally, my wife is considering being a volunteer. She is not an MOA member. Any rules or regulations about non-MOA members volunteering?
    We will accept ALL volunteers, but you might want to surprise her with an Associate membership for Valentine's Day (save some $$ on pre-reg)

All rally participants are welcome to volunteer. It's a great way for a spouse to meet the whole family and find out more about our obsession.

Heck, check Glenfiddich's posts. We've even signed up Barley!