Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: GPS - Garmin Quest/Quest2 - Tech Help

Try this link...

Try this link to compare side by side. http://gpsnow.com/gmquest.htm

It appears the quest2 can handle both sets of maps.

JC
    Last edited by Joecubana; 08-23-2005 at 12:51 AM. Reason: forgot a link
    Joe Chriest
    2003 R1150GS; 2006 Piaggio Fly 150
    "I'm not as good as I once was, but I'm as good once, as I ever was"

Danger: Keep Back 500 Ft FredRydr's Avatar
    Decision made.

I bought the Quest2 as well as CitySelect North America v. 7 for routing on the PC. Too bad they don't offer a Quest2 package with software for routing on a for uploading to the GPS unit, but I am not going to over that issue anymore.

Besides, the discount more than covers the cost of the additional software.

All that remains is hardwiring to the Roadster.

Fred

I figure I will share bits and pieces on mounting my Quest2.

I was trying to avoid the Garmin Quest motorcycle cradle/transformer/adapter and RAM ball mount system in order to have a less massive set-up on my naked bike's handlebars. I opted for a RAM cradle connected to a Techmount mount. For power, I would hardwire under my tank a Touratech power/audio cord with integral 12v to 5v transformer. Things looked great until last weekend, when I started to use the Touratech cord from Germany. The four spring-loaded contacts on its plug are poorly designed and break off when you slide the Quest unit into the RAM cradle. I was prepared to splice the 4-contact Garmin plug from my extra A/C charger onto the Touratech cord, but no dice - it was only a two-wire cord (no audio). By coincidence, the Touratech employee who sold me the power/audio cord had the same experience over the same weekend! He kindly offered a refund or an exchange for the Garmin motorcycle kit; I threw in the towel and chose the latter. Touratech has added a warning on their website, saying their power/audio cord cannot be used with the RAM cradle.

Therefore, the RAM cradle does not support a weatherproof powered mount installation for the Quest. (With a tiny Torx T5 driver, you could move the wire from the Garmin car cradle to the RAM cradle, but the speaker/transformer unit may not handle the wet very well!) There appear to be only two over-the-counter options for a weatherproof powered Quest installation: (1) the OEM Garmin motorcycle cradle and power/audio cord kit, or (2) the aluminum Touratech cradle and their separate Touratech power/audio cord.

The Garmin cradle is designed to fit a RAM mount. My RAM cradle was also designed for the RAM mount, yet it also fit my Techmount. If A=B and B=C, then shouldn't the Garmin cradle fit my Techmount, too (i.e., A=C)? We'll see when it arrives. Fun fun fun. Spend spend spend!

Fred

RAM has responded to the challenge with a Quest power/audio cord of its own:

http://www.ram-mount.com/products/qpac.htm

Quote Originally Posted by FredRydr

A little off topic, but what the heck do you plug into those audio cords? I've got one on my (brand spanking new kewel, neato) 2610. The connector looks funny. Is there a little waterproof speaker out there somewhere?

Earphones or helmet speakers. The same audio signal powers a speaker on the car mount (part of the plug that fits into the cigar lighter).

Fred

Earphones or helmet speakers. The same audio signal powers a speaker on the car mount (part of the plug that fits into the cigar lighter).

Fred
    Stereo or mono? Might be worth getting those molded earphone earplugs.
    MarkF

The Quest2 saga continues

There is a problem with Quest GPS units making electrical contact with Garmin OEM motorcycle cradles. Their "repair kit" should be available shortly. The dimensions of the two spacers are to be as follows:

short spacer - 14 mm x 6 mm x 0.8 mm
    long spacer - 25.4 mm x 6 mm x 0.3 mm

Until the kit arrives, can anyone share the dimension (thickness) of typical electrical tape? (I can't seem to use my 25 foot rule to measure it!)

Fred
    Last edited by FredRydr; 04-14-2007 at 12:07 AM.

$95 for a plastic cradle, you still have to pay for the ball and arm, to hold a sophisticated electronic device that costs only $343!
    MarkF