Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Rear Tire Slow Leak

In my personal experience, I have never had a plug blow-out.

Proper plugging, reaming, cleaning, the right cement and a burning the end of the plug with a torch is an effective repair. I've never had a plug blow-out. What I have seen is the cords/belts become damaged during the reaming process. Add some heat from use and then cord/belt separation which migrates to the sidewall.

I had an experience with a 10,000 lb service truck. I plugged it while I caught a nail on a call. It was a very hot day. Less than 100 miles later, the tire exploded. When it let go, other than the pucker factor, it blew a hole in the front fender of the truck. While changing the tire, tread intact, sidewall blown out, I noticed my plug was still there and looking like a mother spider on her web.

Patches might not be a lot better but a practice that I have never had or heard of negative experiences. Plug repairs seem to come with stories.

Please choose your choice of repair based on whether you want you family to count on it.
    1997 R1100RT (Restored Basket Case) , 1981 KZ 440 LTD (Restored Basket Case)
    1986 K75S(the beutch), 1993 K1100RS (blown engine), 1997 Chev Short Box (4x4 with an LT1)
    "You can easily judge the character of a man by how he treats those who can do nothing for him."

Left Coast Rider
    I have never heard of a plug coming out or a tire coming apart after a plug repair. I've heard lots of warnings of impending disaster but I've never, ever, heard of someone who's had it happen. Does anyone here have first or second hand experience with a properly installed plug coming out?

"I heard of a guy who..." or "A buddy of mine knows a guy who..." doesn't count.

I just plug, ride & never think about it again.
    Dave
    2004 Black LT
    2000 Canyon Red LT
    The Only Vehicles I Own

I just installed a pair of mich, the new pr4s (gt). ride and handle like a dream. prety cheep to, iam thinking i will only get 10k out of em tho.
    The pursuit of reality at all cost.

Got new rubber

The plug on the rear tire held up and had a nice ride to George's place (BUA) last week to get new rubber put on. Now I'm riding on a nice set of PR4 GTs. The ride home on I-66 to Vienna was smooth. Looking forward to warmer weather and putting on some miles.

Yesterday, got some more miles in. The bike was very responsive to small pressure inputs on the handle bar. Kept the speed conservative on the curves as there is still too much sand on the roads from ice treatment. Looking forward to riding the roads out west once the weather gets warmer.