Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: alternator belt 2010 R1200RT

alternator belt 2010 R1200RT

Just wondering when people are changing the alternator belt on these bikes. 40,000 KM seems a little short service life

Quote Originally Posted by sumolguy View Post
    Just wondering when people are changing the alternator belt on these bikes. 40,000 KM seems a little short service life
    Yes it does, unless you happen to be the unlucky sod who has the belt shred, wrap up like a little black and white mouse nest, and take out the hall sensors or their wiring located behind the pulley. Then you are dead in the water, so to speak, exactly where it stops running. According to Murphy's Law this will be at a point far from home, outside of cell phone range, on a sparcely traveled road, in a windy rain storm. Oh, and 400 miles from the nearest dealership which doesn't have the part in stock anyway. Probably one day after you forgot to renew your roadside assistance policy.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://www.bigbend.net/users/glaves

I've changed three at 24,000 miles (40K); two RTs and an R. All looked good, but I'll change the next one at 24K as well. Now I travel with the used ones as back-up. It's not much extra work once you have the fairing off to do other routine maintenance such as the throttle body synch.
    Kevin Huddy
    Intrepid Incompetent
    Tm Pterodactyl MT Outpost

The current RT stretch belts generally come off in good shape at the factory interval so carrying a used one as a spare is fine.

IIRC the current part number is actually a bit shorter than the original (my stock is still the old number) and I think Don pointed out it was a bit harder to install. So that used one as spare might actually be the better idea (than a new one) anyway- wrestling a tight belt roadside is no fun. (The current model lacks the adjusters of earlier ones)

Grampa Tumbleweed
    Quote Originally Posted by sumolguy View Post
    My 2010 RT has a used belt tucked away as a spare. I also carry a widget I made to help me install a belt on the road. At 119k miles, the only belt failure has been an obvious manufacturing error. My mileage at changes has been 24k to 35k.

Quote Originally Posted by 7536 View Post
    My 2010 RT has a used belt tucked away as a spare. I also carry a widget I made to help me install a belt on the road. At 119k miles, the only belt failure has been an obvious manufacturing error. My mileage at changes has been 24k to 35k.
    Any pics of the widget? I'd like to make one up. thanx

Just like what Paul said if it happens to break a long way from a dealer your screwed. I spent a fair amount of time trying to find out if the belt was available from any parts store. It is a custom made to length belt for BMW only. I ride K bikes but I do carry a used R belt in my waterproof bag with my other spare I carry on road trips.
    Dave
    2004 Black LT
    2000 Canyon Red LT
    The Only Vehicles I Own

I happened over to get one yesterday. I am at 32,000 miles.
    I have a few other things to do, so I will add that to the list, and use the old one as a spare, which ought to fit somewhere on the bike itself, yet out of the way.
    dc

Grampa Tumbleweed
    Quote Originally Posted by lvermiere View Post
    Any pics of the widget? I'd like to make one up. thanx
    No pics but easy to describe. There are 3 holes in the bottom pulley. I tapped threads in one. I now carry a short screw to fit those threads and a large flat washer. This serves to guide the belt on as you turn the motor over with the rear wheel.

Isn't the interval a 36K recommendation? I know the Oilheads were 24.
    Have changed all of ours at that point and the ribbed belt still looked usable. Only one had cracks in the ribs. I carry a new one for me/others since I don't want to put that old one on someone else's bike...including Helen's

I have the $$ BMW spiral tool, but, find it easier to bump it on. The tool helps getting it off w/out using a pry bar
    Easiest on R's and RT's a PITA on GSA's with crash bars. JVB's video uses a bleach bottle piece of plastic while bumping on. WATCH YOUR FINGERS either way!!

more talk here:
    http://www.bmwmoa.org/forum/showthre...or+belt+change
    Steve Henson
    SABMWRA MOA Club#62's Flat Fixer/ current forum moderator
    It's not the breaths you take, but the moments that take your breath away-D.Dillon/G. Strait

Quote Originally Posted by henzilla View Post
    Isn't the interval a 36K recommendation? I know the Oilheads were 24.
    Have changed all of ours at that point and the ribbed belt still looked usable. Only one had cracks in the ribs. I carry a new one for me/others since I don't want to put that old one on someone else's bike...including Helen's

I have the $$ BMW spiral tool, but, find it easier to bump it on. The tool helps getting it off w/out using a pry bar
    Easiest on R's and RT's a PITA on GSA's with crash bars. JVB's video uses a bleach bottle piece of plastic while bumping on. WATCH YOUR FINGERS either way!!

more talk here:
    http://www.bmwmoa.org/forum/showthre...or+belt+change
    Steve - have you bumped it on with the latest (and shorter) hexhead belt? Where the original hex belt went on fairly easily with a piece of plastic to guide it on, bumping it on was about impossible without using something to stretch it while the pulley was rotated. I haven't gotten to try the $10 tool I bought yet, but I imagine at some service this upcoming summer I may consider replacing the belt again and will report on how well it worked.

BTW - the hexhead change interval was originally 36k miles - BMW changed it to 24K. The condition of the belt at 36K miles on my R12R - was identical to the one I was putting on. No sign of cracking on the ribbed inside, even after turning it inside out. That belt (an older long one) lives on the bike as a "just in case" and to invoke Eilenberger's Law of Spare Parts..
    Don Eilenberger http://www.eilenberger.net
    Spring Lk Heights NJ NJ Shore BMW Riders New Sweden BMW Riders
    '07 R1200R (current ride) and some bimmers.. and a Porsche

I have two fairly new belts sitting in the parts bin, not sure if new smaller/tighter version. I do recall having a bit more trouble putting the last one on H's 12R last summer maybe it was the newer one.

I bought the BMW spiral tool for my 05RT, it works OK, but it seems to really stretch the belt. I seem to try the flat handed bump on method more.

I will go back to 24K intervals...might be due one on my GSA now
    These belts sure look better than a worn Oilhead one.

I changed one on another bike that was at 60K, it had those rib cracks and I assume was the original talking to my frugal buddy
    Steve Henson
    SABMWRA MOA Club#62's Flat Fixer/ current forum moderator
    It's not the breaths you take, but the moments that take your breath away-D.Dillon/G. Strait

Still plays with trains. tinytrains's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by deilenberger View Post
    I haven't gotten to try the $10 tool I bought yet, but I imagine at some service this upcoming summer I may consider replacing the belt again and will report on how well it worked.
    Hey Don, what tool is that? I am coming up on my 24K.

Thanks,
    1988 K75 Low Seat
    2009 R1200R Roadster

It's one I found on Amazon. Let me see if I can find it..

It's called a "Gates 91030 Engine Tool" on Amazon.. I imagine searching Amazon for "Gates 91030" would find it for you.

DISCLAIMER - I haven't tried it - yet. It looks as if it should work/fit OK, and luckily it's cheap (less than $10) so if it doesn't work, I'm not out a lot. It's made by Gates - who makes these sort of belts - and it's made to put them on/take-off. If you go to their website they have a video showing how it works.
    Don Eilenberger http://www.eilenberger.net
    Spring Lk Heights NJ NJ Shore BMW Riders New Sweden BMW Riders
    '07 R1200R (current ride) and some bimmers.. and a Porsche

Still plays with trains. tinytrains's Avatar
    Thanks. I saw those. Autozone sells one like it for $20.
    1988 K75 Low Seat
    2009 R1200R Roadster