Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: S type fairing for an 83 R100?

S type fairing for an 83 R100?

I have a 83 R100. Right now it is naked, with handlebars that are a little lower and forward than stock. I am thinking of adding an "S" type fairing to give a little wind protection in winter riding. I looked up the parts on MaxBMW and they are expensive. Are there aftermarket "S" or "bikini" fairings that are similar, and less pricey? Are these things pretty easy to install?

Any experience, advice regarding alternative fairings, mounting, etc., is appreciated. Pictures would be nice.

Thanks.

Bob R.
    Portland

I have collected a few listings for fairings from different companies in the Resources and Links thread. I believe there are several places that offer the bikini style fairing. Not sure what you're idea of "expensive" is.
    Kurt -- Forum Administrator ---> Resources and Links Thread <---
    '78 R100/7 & '69 R69S & '52 R25/2
    mine-ineye-deatheah-pielayah-jooa-kalayus. oolah-minane-hay-meeriah-kal-oyus-algay-a-thaykin', buddy!

Nutfarm
    Yes the S fairing assembly is available from BMW, it is expensive, but when you consider it's nicely made, it comes with all the mounting brackets and it fits, it's not a bad deal.

I've seen after market ones, some are ok, some not.

No longer a member here
    Quote Originally Posted by 47512 View Post
    Yes the S fairing assembly is available from BMW, it is expensive, but when you consider it's nicely made, it comes with all the mounting brackets and it fits, it's not a bad deal.

I recall it is primer only. You have to add another $250.- for a decent paint job. Approaching $1,000.- for a fairing sounds kind of pricey to me..It's going to be 20% of the value of the bike.

You might check with any of the salvage yards in Kurt's Resources and Links thread (see post #2) to see if they have a used one, or are willing to keep an eye out for one for you. I am partial to Mikey at Martindale Motorcycle Works (http://martindalemotorcycleworks.com/index.html or 512-357-2842) and Joshua Buck at Partshaus (562-254-0452).

I've visited Mikey's place in person and bought a number of things from him- he's got a pretty good collection, although I imagine he sells those fairings as fast as he gets them. He might be willing to keep an eye out for you and let you know when he gets one.

Joshua also is pretty good to deal with- he's sending me a new/used windshield for my RS later this week.

Might watch the IBMWR marketplace also... gotta be quick there though.
    Last edited by jad01; 12-30-2013 at 10:27 PM.
    Jim
    '78 R80/7 and '84 R100RS (Blues Brothers), '86 K75C (Icy Hot)
    '90 and '93 Mazda Miatas (Jelly Bean and Red Hot), '02 325ci (Blue Streak)
    '96 Giant Upland (big Kendas & freshly greased bearings!)

Jim, jump in there and delete the semi-colon ( ; ) from after "html", it's killing the link.
    "It is what you discover, after you know it all, that counts." _ John Wooden

Lew Morris
    1973 R75/5 - original owner

Quote Originally Posted by rossrobertb View Post
    I have a 83 R100. Right now it is naked, with handlebars that are a little lower and forward than stock. I am thinking of adding an "S" type fairing to give a little wind protection in winter riding. I looked up the parts on MaxBMW and they are expensive. Are there aftermarket "S" or "bikini" fairings that are similar, and less pricey? Are these things pretty easy to install?

Any experience, advice regarding alternative fairings, mounting, etc., is appreciated. Pictures would be nice.

Thanks.

Bob R.
    Portland

ya might try the guys @ Re-Psycle BMW in Lithopolis,Ohio...(614) 837-1160. They carry allot of parts / accessories for older BMW's Their prices {IMO} aren't bad at all.

Quote Originally Posted by lmo1131 View Post
    Jim, jump in there and delete the semi-colon ( ; ) from after "html", it's killing the link.
    Oops- my bad- thanks, Lew!
    Jim
    '78 R80/7 and '84 R100RS (Blues Brothers), '86 K75C (Icy Hot)
    '90 and '93 Mazda Miatas (Jelly Bean and Red Hot), '02 325ci (Blue Streak)
    '96 Giant Upland (big Kendas & freshly greased bearings!)

Loading the Bike

Thanks.

Bob R.
    Portland
    Bob,

Checkout BoxerCafe, they have a number of different fairing types, nice stuff, I buy my race fairings from them. You won't find mounting hardware or windscreens just the fairings in primer.

http://www.boxercafe.com/BMWSfairings.htm

Good Luck,
    Rich

Quote Originally Posted by EMSimon View Post
    I recall it is primer only. You have to add another $250.- for a decent paint job. Approaching $1,000.- for a fairing sounds kind of pricey to me..It's going to be 20% of the value of the bike.
    20%.....In all of our minds only. I think positively too.

I'd recommend you have a look on Ebay for real BMW fairing parts. You may find some decent ones that need work. You'll likely save a ton of $$ but you add a body guy's work to paint it all up, new or used. Just have to be patient with Ebay...Sometimes painfully patient.

HH
    Helmut always wears a Helmet.

No longer a member here
    Quote Originally Posted by helmut_head View Post
    20%.....In all of our minds only.

HH
    Can you elaborate on this comment, please? Considering the following math: Good price for an 83 R100 = approx. $5,000.- This will make $1,000 about 20% of the value of the bike.

Thanks.

Bob R.
    Portland
    Take a look at the Rifle Nightflight fairing.
    http://rifle.com/Motorcycle-Fairings...t-Fairing.aspx

$249 in primer; + $50 for gloss black, +$100 for color matched

Rifle Nightflight.jpg
    Michael Stock, Trinity, NC
    R1100RT, R100, R60/6

R100 Fairing

Thanks.

Bob R.
    Portland
    Hi Bob,

I had same dilemma few weeks ago, when I acquired my '77 R100/7.
    Original BMW S fairing looked too pricey to me, so I started my research first on eBay and then from ads in Cafe' Racer Magazine.
    I found the same seller offering quarter fairing for under $90.- shipped, only the problem was it said for headlamps 7" or less- mine being larger, over 8".
    After looking at his pics I had hunch the opening is large enough to work on my bike- hence, price low enough to play with it if necessary to enlarge it by grinding...
    When it arrived I was pleasantly surprised- the size of opening was just perfect!
    But it was necessary to make new, larger/longer side attachments- used stock aluminum 1" and 1 and 1/2" bars from hardware store- and to drill/carve openings on both sides of the bottom of fairing to fit around blinker's stems.
    I am very pleased with the final result, fairing looks very authentic and helps a lot at highway speeds.
    There were few more adjustments to do- I can provide details if interested, have many pics.
    Look at eBay under BMW R100 Cafe Windshield.-BMW R 100 fairing 016e.jpgBMW R 100 fairing 017e.jpgBMW R 100 fairing 020e.jpg
    The finish is gloss black in the mold and by good luck matched my black finish perfectly.

I hope this helps, good luck!

Vlado

No longer a member here
    This fairing is an Emgo/Viper fairing and available from a variety of different sources. As cheap as $60.- I have one on my Honda GB500.

83 R100 fairing.

Simon and Vlado. Very good information. Nice pictures. Thank you.