Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: 1972 R75/5 Running Poor Acceleration

What they said, unless it doesn't work.

More importantly, WELCOME and NICE BIKE!
    Helmut always wears a Helmet.

Quote Originally Posted by jcurt325 View Post
    And its ANSWER time! Not having a replacement scoop on hand, couple strips of duct tape over the cover to reduce the opening for a test. And the thing runs like a scalded dog! Flies through gears. Needs no choke. Smooth and steady. Quick run over to Ebay and picked up a replacement intake scoop (and starter cover with all the clips for the scoop) for $25! I would think even in this test setup its still probably getting a little more air forced in than usual since the scoop is rearward facing and at present its getting pushed under the tank at speed. We shall see how it does with the scoop back in but i'm thinking we can call this one resolved!

Also, the issue of the throttle falling off at full open seems resolved as well by this, though full throttle is now not needed.

Thanks again everyone!
    Not to be a naysayer, but I have a hard time visualizing how that scoop addition would restrict that much air! It is at the higher RPM's and that was where you were having the apparent lean-ness. That is where it will be sucking and needing the most air. Maybe the scoop will actually restrict at that higher use?

However, stranger things have happened.

I am anxious to see how this will work out.
    "The difference between death and taxes is that death doesn't change every time congress meets." - Will Rogers

Okay...weather finally got nice so could get back on things. Put the full replacement scoop in. Bike continued to run well, much improved similar to the high-rent tape repair. Was preparing for a long trip on the bike and doing a number of service items to get it ready for a long run (change all fluids, wheel bearings, etc) and so decided to go ahead and put in rebuild kits on the carbs to eliminate any questions. Didn't want to leave anything to chance to go wrong and be stuck in the middle of no where.

With rebuilds in, the bike run even better. Same characteristics as before just seems to be even better at the very top end. So, at the end of the day...my opinion for whatever it counts...i think the scoop did have some effect as there was solid improvement between the time of the scoop install and the carb rebuilt, however much unsure. Freshening up the carbs obviously helped. But bottom-line now, its really run wonderfully.

As an aside, the bike did amazing on the trip. I was really impressed. This was my first opportunity to really get some extended seat time and get a feel for the bike and get to know it. I couldn't have been more pleased. Me and a buddy went from Savannah, Georgia to New Orleans. 5 days, 5 states and a little over 1500 miles logged. He was a riding an '81 Yamaha XJ 550 Seca, and the Airhead kept pace step for step and beyond the whole trip.

Also, it became a running joke between us the number of people that approached us to ask about the Airhead. Every gas or food stop without fail at least 2 or 3 people came up to ask about the bike either find out what it was or to tell a story about one they knew. Practically every Harley guy wanted to know about it. My buddy said he was getting a complex that no one ever asked about his Seca, and that the only question he ever got was whether the Airhead was his.

Only had a couple of issues the whole trip. On the morning of the third day, when I was in the process of starting the bike it fired up cold, sputtered and died (which is not shocking), and when I went to try the starter again nothing happened, no click or anything. All lights were on and didn't dim when the button was pressed. No voltage drop across the battery when the button was pushed. I was thinking either the switch or the relay. Pulled the switch to try and jump it to see but didn't get anything. We rode in rain the entire previous day so thought maybe some corrosion on the relay, but didn't pull the tank to check at that time. It cranked great off the kicker. I'll get to tracing that down and testing the relay, etc. now.

The other issue showed up on the 4th day, the tach started to bounce around and eventually did the death spin that snaps the needle off and trashes the mechanism. I went ahead and disconnected both the tach and speedo cables as the speedo was starting to bounce as well. Wish I had known or thought to lube them on the list of everything else. I've already made contact with Terry/Wirespokes re: a rebuild.

But for that length of trip, again i'm quite pleased with this bike. Thanks to everyone for their advice and help. Much appreciated..

Quote Originally Posted by jcurt325 View Post
    It cranked great off the kicker.
    Good reason why all the bikes ought to have a back-up kick starter! I miss mine from my /6 and my /2 !!
    "The difference between death and taxes is that death doesn't change every time congress meets." - Will Rogers

Quote Originally Posted by jimmylee View Post
    Good reason why all the bikes ought to have a back-up kick starter! I miss mine from my /6 and my /2 !!
    That's debatable! I've never been so tired when I was learning to kick start my R69S...I really wish there was a button to push! It's been stated before...the kick start mechanisms after the /2 era weren't as robust as they were prior to 1970. They should really only be used as an emergency type of thing (ie backup as you say) as it's POSSIBLE to break something and really ruin your day.
    Kurt -- Forum Administrator ---> Resources and Links Thread <---
    '78 R100/7 & '69 R69S & '52 R25/2
    mine-ineye-deatheah-pielayah-jooa-kalayus. oolah-minane-hay-meeriah-kal-oyus-algay-a-thaykin', buddy!

Quote Originally Posted by 20774 View Post
    That's debatable! I've never been so tired when I was learning to kick start my R69S...I really wish there was a button to push! It's been stated before...the kick start mechanisms after the /2 era weren't as robust as they were prior to 1970. They should really only be used as an emergency type of thing (ie backup as you say) as it's POSSIBLE to break something and really ruin your day.
    Nothing so cool like trying to get your fat leg up and get ahold of that kicker at a red-light after you've stalled it with a line of traffic behind you. I mean, uh I can imagine that would be awkward....