Thread: Airhead clutch configuration swap

Airhead clutch configuration swap

Has anyone here installed the later (post 1980) clutch into the earlier bikes? What did it entail?

Can these bikes be converted going the other way (Pre 1981 clutch into post 1980 bike)?

Regarding the last question...not without a lot of changes...and dollars$$.
    Kurt -- Forum Administrator ---> Resources and Links Thread <---
    '78 R100/7 & '69 R69S & '52 R25/2
    mine-ineye-deatheah-pielayah-jooa-kalayus. oolah-minane-hay-meeriah-kal-oyus-algay-a-thaykin', buddy!

Quote Originally Posted by jforgo View Post
    Has anyone here installed the later (post 1980) clutch into the earlier bikes? What did it entail?

Can these bikes be converted going the other way (Pre 1981 clutch into post 1980 bike)?
    Why would one want to?
    "The difference between death and taxes is that death doesn't change every time congress meets." - Will Rogers

The flywheel, transmission input shaft, transmission rear cover, and all the clutch and throwout parts are different. When I have done it, I have just used a complete set of later parts including a late model transmission. I would think going back the other way (why?) would be cheaper because the parts are less desirable and therefore cheaper on the used parts market. I have a 1976 R75 that will get this transformation in the next few years and it will create a set of used parts that would work for a "downgrade".

If you are just worried about clutch pull, you might consider an EZ Clutch or homemade equivalent.

Nutfarm
    It would be cheaper all around to lighten your current flywheel. Installing the later parts will make it shift alittle smoother, I don't know that it's worth the expense.

So is it strictly a parts swap? There are no issues with later flywheel to earlier case, or vice versa?

thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by jforgo View Post
    So is it strictly a parts swap? There are no issues with later flywheel to earlier case, or vice versa?

thanks!
    No issues if you get the complete set of parts.

Good!
    I had heard there was case modification needed, at least for new into old.