Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Demographics

Quote Originally Posted by Kent Niederhofer View Post
    While I don't personally own an S1000RR and have no data on what the rider demographic might be, based on those that I know, many of them would qualify as being "old farts"... but they are all young at heart. Wish I had sufficient funds to be one of them (and I'm 53).

Kent
    Kent,

At 54, I think you and I might be the young ones around here?

Jon
    Cave contents: 99 R11RS, 2013 Toyota Tacoma, 03 Simplicity Legacy, 97 Stihl FS75, Dewalt DW625 & DW744

Riding Geek

NYC S1000RR owners tend to be young

Here in NYC, every S1000RR rider I've come across was under 30. That numbers probably 50 or so from various rides I've gone on. However, not a single one was a member of the MOA.

I probably broke the bell curve 15 years ago when I joined the MOA at age 25. I don't think our average age has changed appreciably since I joined, although I've personally gotten closer to the average.

Our club effectively promotes long distance travel via the national rally and the Anonymous book. To do long travel, you need the vacation time, or to be retired. That's going to skew toward an older audience.

In the past few years, the weekend getaways have made MOA gatherings feasible for many more people, especially those with less vacation availability. If, as a club, we want to reach a younger audience, we need to provide more events that a wider audience can attend without a huge time commitment. Regional rallies would go a long way toward helping that.

The national rally ends up being viable for younger members at best every 3 years because of the distance/time requirements and the regional cycle. Who's going to join a club where you can only partake once every few years? Bikes like the S1000RR aren't meant for long distance riding, so what events cater to that audience in the club? With BMW's new focus on 'urban mobility' and the new scooter line, the Nine-T and the S1000R, who is going to ride >1000 miles to go to a rally?

Until we acknowledge that not every MOA member is also an IBA member, or has a ton of vacation time, we're not going to reach a younger audience.

Quote Originally Posted by nielsm View Post
    With BMW's new focus on 'urban mobility' and the new scooter line, the Nine-T and the S1000R, who is going to ride >1000 miles to go to a rally?

Until we acknowledge that not every MOA member is also an IBA member, or has a ton of vacation time, we're not going to reach a younger audience.
    Sounds like a rational for focusing on some of the local clubs in places like NYC, Seattle, SF & others to see what they are doing (if anything) to promote growth.
    Cave contents: 99 R11RS, 2013 Toyota Tacoma, 03 Simplicity Legacy, 97 Stihl FS75, Dewalt DW625 & DW744

No longer a member here
    Other than mileage, there is one other significant difference in the approach to riding for the S1000RR owner: Riding style. I have several extreme sport bikes, and I do not ride them in a larger (4+) group or to a rally. I ride them with people I know, whose riding style is in synch with mine and to specific destinations. If I had only those bikes, I would not be a member of any nationwide "owners' association".

I think you guys are pretty spot on. Im in my 30's and an S1000RR owner. I know several other owners. None of which are MOA members I believe. None of us do any distance riding with our S1000rr's. While there is absolutely nothing wrong with leisurely back country rides, its just not our thing. Track days, twisties, and land speed events is what peaks most of their interests. I am a very new member and hope to contribute more frequently. But acquiring more S1000RR owner membership may be challenging.

Mendocino, CA USA about as far left as you can get in the lower 48
    I agree it might be a challenge. I do not own one, they came out the year I finally made the jump to my K1300S. That was Stupid Fast for me, yet I could still commute on it. I did 11+ track days this past season with my little Kawi (sold the S and got a dedicated track bike before it tossed it down the road...got the Kawi to learn how to ride better on the track). I saw a LOT of S100RR bikes at the track. From basic, to obviously salvage titled, to total carbon on everything. Some days, the RRs outnumbered the GSXRs. I doubt any of those guys were MOA members and I am willing to bet that if I asked them if they were members, they would have said 'of what?' The ages generally started in the mid-20's and concentrated around the mid-30's. But, that is sort of par for the course for track days. Although us oldsters (59 here) are reasonably well represented as well since we generally have been successful enough to afford the bike and the time, relatively speaking. I am selling my Kawasaki to move on to other things, but I feel I learned enough in the past year that IF I were to get a liter track bike, it would likely be the BMW RR due to its power and electronics package that make it one of the safer bikes in case you do something stupid.

But these guys have their group/gang/clique. They are in their element, it is just different from the MOA.
    Jim Douglas '00 K1200RS >135,000 miles my primary bike again,
    Gone: '09 K1300S sold @ 22k mi, '93 K1100RS traded @ 78k mi, '85 K100RS sold @ 44k mi
    '06 Kaw 650R track bike sold
    http://www.seagullbb.com/

I traded into an S1000RR in 2012 to simply expand riding skills at 47. I just traded it for a K1300 for my wife to get a lower seat with heat. She did not like being pillion on the R1200GSA after seeing the luxuries of a touring bike.
    Seek Fun. "Any fool can criticize, condemn and complain--and most fools do" BF
    2009 K1300GT, S1000RR sold, F650 sold
    2011 R1200GSA
    2014 Kawasaki DTracker 250 (Chiang Mai Thailand)

Is is OK to say this ... ?

Be interesting to learn demographics of S1000RR riders as they relate to MOA vs RA membership.
    Kent Christensen
    '12 R1200RT, '02 R1100S, '84 R80G/S

No longer a member here
    Quote Originally Posted by lkchris View Post

Be interesting to learn demographics of S1000RR riders as they relate to MOA vs RA membership.
    Are there any riders in the RA that have bikes other than Airheads.......

Quote Originally Posted by lkchris View Post

I think you just said it.

I will be interested to see what demographic profile the S 1000 R develops. At a base price of $13,500 it is $1800 - $2000 grand less than a R nine T or the RR. Chain final drive and more universally usable ergonomics may skew the age bell curve higher for the R compared to the RR.

I qualify as broke old fart. The R is on my short list of bikes to consider. Getting any of the short list on the list of new bikes my checkbook can afford is another story.
    Pass the mustard and UP THE REVOLUTION!

St. Paul Pioneer Press , Minneapolis Star Tribune

Quote Originally Posted by EMSimon View Post
    Thanks for responding, Dan! I am amazed about the absolute lack of feedback. It seems like all the S1000RR owners are middle-aged women who do not want to reveil their age....
    You ultimately have received feedback, but I bet if you posted this question in Ruff Riders, you'd get completely different data.

Ian
    Go soothingly through the grease mud, as there lurks the skid demon.

It's a whole different demographic (and psychographic, fwiw) than what we have going on here....

No longer a member here
    I started this thread to prove to myself that my theory about S1000RR ownership as it relates to MOA membership is correct:

The increase in S1000RR ownership has absolutely no positive impact on MOA membership.

There are two general types of owners -

1. Young, somewhat affluent riders who want a fast and hi-tech bike and who have absolutely no interest in MOA membership

2. Older affluent riders who already own a BMW, and are already MOA members who buy a "sport bike" to add to their stable.
    Before the S1000RR, those guys would have bought a Ducati or Aprilia

Neither category adds to MOA membership numbers.

Yes, O.K. there are maybe a few who do not fall into either category. really a small number, I say.

Ian's post and pictures speak volumes to me about the attitude of the MOA towards the first group. The main reason why this is a Catch 22

Well, one thing we could do is not make posts in *this* forum about how uncool we are... so I will shut up now.

I honestly believe that we could attract people like this to the club if we offered something, *anything* appealing to them.

ok, one more... gratuitous post