Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Demographics

Lord, help me!

Quote Originally Posted by EMSimon View Post
    I started this thread to prove to myself that my theory about S1000RR ownership as it relates to MOA membership is correct:

The increase in S1000RR ownership has absolutely no positive impact on MOA membership.

There are two general types of owners -

1. Young, somewhat affluent riders who want a fast and hi-tech bike and who have absolutely no interest in MOA membership

2. Older affluent riders who already own a BMW, and are already MOA members who buy a "sport bike" to add to their stable.
    Before the S1000RR, those guys would have bought a Ducati or Aprilia

Neither category adds to MOA membership numbers.

Yes, O.K. there are maybe a few who do not fall into either category. really a small number, I say.

Ian's post and pictures speak volumes to me about the attitude of the MOA towards the first group. The main reason why this is a Catch 22
    I would suggest to you that membership in BMW MOA has a lot less to do with age or the bike people ride and more to do with the culture here that becomes apparent after a few days of cruising the forums. With no opinion offered at all about the appeal of being a member here you have to admit that the culture here is different than what you find on the BMW RA, the iBMW site, K1600 site, and since you brought up S1000RR riders, go look at the their site. You'll find a distinctly different manner of interacting and of interests that aren't really age related.

I'm 55 years old and, for example, this isn't the place I'd come to for any track bike or track day advice. It's never my first stop for Sports/Touring advice either. Not that there isn't perhaps some people here with that knowledge but it just isn't what this place is about. I posted a controversial post several months ago that the ON magazine looked like it was full of photos of people I don't know doing things I don't really care about. There's absolutely nothing wrong with that and for what this culture is you should be very proud of it and enjoy it. My advice is don't change a thing about it and stop worrying about attracting younger people. Focus on being yourselves and attracting the people that resonate with that.
    Wes Jones
    Annapolis, MD
    2012 K1600GT, Vermillion Red
    2013 S1000RR, Granite Gray

Quote Originally Posted by EMSimon View Post
    Ian's post and pictures speak volumes to me about the attitude of the MOA towards the first group. The main reason why this is a Catch 22
    Can you explain what you mean here?

Quote Originally Posted by PittsDriver View Post
    I would suggest to you that membership in BMW MOA has a lot less to do with age or the bike people ride and more to do with the culture here that becomes apparent after a few days of cruising the forums.
    This is what I was trying to say. The demographics (there are more to demos than age) and the psychographics here on the forum and in our club (or culture, as you call it) is why people either do or do not join the MOA.

We offer nothing to attract riders of the S1000RR, so naturally there are not many of them in our ranks.

Ian
    Go soothingly through the grease mud, as there lurks the skid demon.

ps...

I asked the mods to move this thread to the clubhouse, since it has less to do with S1000RRs and more to do with navel gazing about our club.

And btw, the end of this story is that the nice lady walks down the runway and pats this fat old whitebeard on the head.

Quote Originally Posted by Visian View Post

Talking S1000RR Owner

I know this is an older thread, I had written a long winded reply which seems to have vanished. I am 40 years old and own a 2014 S1000RR and a 1990 K75S project. It took me a long time to pull the trigger on joining MOA as I have been following along on facebook for a long time. Although there is a lot of great info and great people, there is also a vibe that turns a lot of younger people off. I am talking about some peoples attitude to either other people, there beliefs, what they ride outside of a BMW etc. Any club should be open to their members talking about whatever is on their mind. If people want to engage in the conversation, they will. If they don't like what the subject is, ignore it and move along to a thread that interests you. Anyway, the point is, when people visit they see an incredible amount of negativity and that pushes them away from joining. Just my 2 cents.
    Here is a couple of pics of the S1000RR and the K75. Not great of the K but will be showing more in time as I fix her up.
    photo 2.jpgphoto 1.jpgS1000RR A1A.jpg