Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Demographics

No longer a member here

Demographics

Elsewhere in this forum are extensive discussions about the MOA as a club and its members which were ignited by a recent change in MOA staff.
    One of the issues is, how attractive the club is to younger members and the S1000RR is being used as a representation of younger rider's bike.

As a S1000RR owner, how old are you? Is this your only bike? Did you have a BMW before you bought the S1000RR?

Seeing your post has been up for 11 hours without a reply, I'll chime. I don't have the bike, but if I was 30, single and making $75,000 a year I would owe one, does that help? I'm guessing, but when I was 30, a 1978 XS650 Yamaha retailed for around $1,700.00. And just across the showroom floor was a '77 R100RS, with a price of - $5300.00! With a wife, two cars (one a new 1978 Pontiac Grand Prix that retailed for what the BMW cost), mortgage, one child and one to come, guess which one I bought? Oh the R100RS had the appeal meter all the way to the right, but the affordability was in the Yamaha. Things changed that much since then? Well, from what I read, more 30 and under are living (back) with Mom and Dad because of the poor job market (or they're too good for the jobs available), loan money isn't as easy to qualify for and sales are not what they use to be.

One item has changed - the price disparity between BMW and other makes has certainly changed over these 40 years. A 2013 Suzuki Hayabusa - $14,400, 2013 Kawasaki Ninja ZX-14 ABS - $15,999 and the 2013 S 1000 RR - $15,050. Even with added options the BMW isn't much more than the competition. So appears BMW has done its job competing for sales in this market segment? So, as a percentage in this segment (super sport bike), is BMW not capturing its fair share? I guess another item comes to mind, that may lean to the point I believe your attempting to make, "Kids" aren't getting married till their late twenties or early 30's, if at all. So is it cheaper (more disposable income) to get married or just "shack up" (showing my age) these days? I'm talking fiscal, not emotional cost...LOL.

Let a "little" time go by and there is no apples to apples or oranges to oranges.
    Last edited by Motodan; 01-13-2014 at 08:48 PM.
    MOA #46783
    2014 R1200RT

No longer a member here
    Thanks for responding, Dan! I am amazed about the absolute lack of feedback. It seems like all the S1000RR owners are middle-aged women who do not want to reveil their age...
    I have my own personal theory about the typical ownership profile in the S1000RR community and just wanted to see if I am totally off.
    Among other things, I do not believe that there are many "under 30" S1000RR owners. For a variety of reasons.

Given that the only answers you might get are, by necessity, from members of the MOA, they wouldn't tell you anything about the general demographics of S1000RR owners. They would only be reflective of members of the MOA who own an S1000RR. And even so, they'd be too few in number to constitute a sample from which you could extrapolate much.
    2000 R1100RT / 1987 K75C (RIP) / Santa Clarita, CA

Quote Originally Posted by JamesInCA View Post
    Given that the only answers you might get are, by necessity, from members of the MOA, they wouldn't tell you anything about the general demographics of S1000RR owners. They would only be reflective of members of the MOA who own an S1000RR. And even so, they'd be too few in number to constitute a sample from which you could extrapolate much.
    I think that's the OP's point....the silence might actually prove his point.
    MOA #46783
    2014 R1200RT

Yes, the BMW MOA is a motorcycle touring and camping organization with a smattering of other activities thrown in.

I'm riding a mildly tweeked old R90S set up the way I like it, and when I roll on the gas it's all I need. Don't have any idea what I'd do with a hundred and fifty horses. Then there are the just right krausers into which just the right stuff has it's every place packed just right, over the years, so that it's exactly what I need to git on down road in relative comfort, economy and happiness.

1000RR? I have no idea what I would do with that bike, or one like it. However, demographically, we are going to pass on, and the older bikes may end up in some other organization? They ain't goin away, simplicity is a study unto itself. I'm very surprised at the number of guys/gals attached to older/slower BMWs, especially written up in another BMW cycle mag, every month, mostly from Europe, and the craftsmanship is stunning. This is not a troll, just thought.

For maybe a little insight into the S1000 community might monitor the Pelican R1100S/R1200S forum for a bit.

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/bmw-r...0s-tech-forum/

Likewise I'd venture there really isn't significant GS discussion on the MOA forum and very little K1600 discussion either (or K1200LT).

There's a pretty big difference between MOA demographics and BMW demographics.

And as for old guys, there are significant numbers (relatively) on Ducatis, even the Panigale.
    Kent Christensen
    '12 R1200RT, '02 R1100S, '84 R80G/S

No longer a member here
    Quote Originally Posted by Motodan View Post
    I think that's the OP's point....the silence might actually prove his point.
    Yes, it does, Dan! BMW's intend with the S1000RR is to attract "younger buyers". The reason for my inquiry was to see, if the MOA can do the same. It seems not. The majority of S1000RR buyers does not participate in the MOA. And I was interested to see if those who do, are not "under 40".

One Man Wolfpack Kent Niederhofer's Avatar

BMW S100RR Demographic

While I don't personally own an S1000RR and have no data on what the rider demographic might be, based on those that I know, many of them would qualify as being "old farts"... but they are all young at heart. Wish I had sufficient funds to be one of them (and I'm 53).

Kent

My neighbor has one, he's close to 60...is not a member here and doesn't see the value. He goes burns a set of tires off as quickly as he can, then hangs out to chatter with the Milleniums who ride yammies and 'busas at Luckenbach...then repeat weekly

It's close enough in price to the other liter bikes... However the insurance for anyone under I venture a guess of 30 years of age cannot afford the premiums...Our 99S costs more than my 09GSA...and I am 56. Even my insurance agent scratched his head until he saw S in the model number. Guess that's a red flag for Stupid Fast.

I also believe not many young'ins participate in forums these days as it's not a tweet or a FB environment. I know enough of them to get that mindset.
    I would own a 1000RR, just have stupid fast bikes already that meet all of my needs for any adrenaline rush that bike may offer. I have ridden one as well as a Honda Liter...I cannot afford the tickets they attract
    Steve Henson
    SABMWRA MOA Club#62's Flat Fixer/ current forum moderator
    It's not the breaths you take, but the moments that take your breath away-D.Dillon/G. Strait

No longer a member here
    You guys all confirm what my thinking is regarding the S1000RR and how it relates to increase of BMW sales numbers but not MOA membership.

Not sure I think she's under 30' but she's in the BMW 90 year Anniversary book

image.jpg
    Quote Originally Posted by EMSimon View Post
    Thanks for responding, Dan! I am amazed about the absolute lack of feedback. It seems like all the S1000RR owners are middle-aged women who do not want to reveil their age...
    I have my own personal theory about the typical ownership profile in the S1000RR community and just wanted to see if I am totally off.
    Among other things, I do not believe that there are many "under 30" S1000RR owners. For a variety of reasons.
    And holds a few world records on said motorcycle. Message her on her Facebook page for her MOA number and age.
    image.jpg
    Last edited by rangerreece; 01-22-2014 at 07:57 AM.
    2005 R1200RT
    BMWMOA # 143779
    "Positive Habit Transfer is no substitute for Situational Awareness."

And here she is on another, apparently she sets records on multiple S10000's

2005 R1200RT
    BMWMOA # 143779
    "Positive Habit Transfer is no substitute for Situational Awareness."

I'm 36 and the 2013 S1000RR is my first bike and only bike, I put 8200 miles on the bike since May. I had to stop riding it for 2 months otherwise the mileage would have been a lot more.

My HP4 arrived today and I'm going to pick it up on the 1st. I'm actually very excited about this bike, I wasn't before on the S1000RR, not because it wasn't a good bike but because I had no experience to gauge whether that bike was good or not. It's a pretty easy bike to ride compared to driving high powered RWD cars IMO, very drama free, laser precision, neutral, it does what you want it to do without a tantrum. That's what I learned in the short amount of time riding it and comparing it to the 5 Ducati's I test rode.