Thread: R1100GS Sluggish?

R1100GS Sluggish?

I'm posting this for a friend that lives in Mexico & lacks both great mechanics nearby him,funds too, & personally he's not well equipped (knowledge or tools) to solve this problem: His MC has started to be unwilling to rev past ~ 5,000 rpm in 3rd,4th,5th gears. It pulls normal in 1/2nd gears but he describes thus- "its like it hits a wall" when he shifts to higher gears. Downhill doesn't matter. FD seems OK. Had a new clutch job a couple thousand miles back.
    Ideas? I'll pass them along... Thanks!
    "If I had my life to live over, I'd dare to make more mistakes next time...I'd relax,I'd limber up... I would take fewer things seriously...take more chances... take more trips...climb more mountains...swim more rivers...eat more ice cream." Jorge Luis Borges at age 85.

I think he has a fuel system problem. Plugged filter or in-tank hose failure.

Agree with Roger; also note that this occurs under load - possible bad ignition coil or plug wire, and possible valves too tight.

EDIT - Ignition not likely: this would typically show up as hard starting and/or poor idling...
    Last edited by Pauls1150; 01-13-2014 at 05:10 PM.

Plugged Catalytic Convertor? Had a a Audi 4000s once with the same symptoms . The cat had plugged up.
    Lift the gas tank,unplug the o2 sensor.Pull the CAT code plug(pink one in fuse box. Remove the cat/exhaust and doing a quick test run...Never hurts. Wear earplugs.

Perry.
    Perry Brokaw
    97 R 850 R :sold
    98 R1100RTL:
    98 R1100GS:

Day Dreaming ... happy wanderer's Avatar
    Given the situation you describe lack of maintenance is more than likely. All good ideas so far. I would add another simple one and that is when was the last time the air filter was examined or replaced. A buddy of mine from Germany stopped here on his way around the world and his bike was running terrible and he reported losing power. When we opened up the air filter box the search for the cause ended right then and there. Man what a mess! Poor bike was starving for air and at higher RPMs and more demand this became very apparent.
    MJM - BeeCeeBeemers Motorcycle Club Vancouver B.C.
    '81 R80G/S, '82 R100RS, '00 R1100RT

Quote Originally Posted by roger 04 rt View Post
    I think he has a fuel system problem. Plugged filter or in-tank hose failure.
    He was a good ways from home but mobile when he 1st told/asked me & that was my suggestion-get home replace "fuel stuff". He got home ok & commented that filter had 48,000 miles on it and same OEM lines. That's in process as first do items. He says oil consumption is ~ 3,000 miles per qt. & TB's have been balanced prior to his GT, Belize trip.
    "If I had my life to live over, I'd dare to make more mistakes next time...I'd relax,I'd limber up... I would take fewer things seriously...take more chances... take more trips...climb more mountains...swim more rivers...eat more ice cream." Jorge Luis Borges at age 85.