Thread: Battery tenders

Battery tenders

Does anyone have any experience with the Optimate CAN-bus model chargers? Are they safe for the electronics on the bike?

Quote Originally Posted by 175328 View Post
    Does anyone have any experience with the Optimate CAN-bus model chargers? Are they safe for the electronics on the bike?
    Welcome to the forum! This question comes up quite often, I take it you have an F-Twin as you posted in this section? Most of the "bulk" battery chargers/maintainer questions usually are in the gear section- so you might check there for more answers.
    I have an F800GS and went with my favorite mode of the direct wire to the battery with the SAE type connector- connected to a Battery Tender (brand) charger.
    As you get going on the forum you can fill in a bit more info like the actual bike, year and model. In the mean time, enjoy the forum.
    Any questions, just ask.
    Gary
    "Well they say.. time loves a hero but only time will tell.. If he's real, he's a legend from heaven If he ain't he was sent here from hell" Lowell George
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200
    Part of the Forum Threadside Assistance Program

What's that noise...? basketcase's Avatar
    Over the years I've used the Battery Tender brand, the Yuasa type, and of late the Optimate series.

Hooked up to the DR650 is an older Optimate 3. It is worry free and keeps the battery topped off without frying it.

Then recently I purchased the Optimate 4 dual mode. The programs are switched using the + & - leads. And somehow the diagram on the back got away from me so I posted here hunting instructions. Here's the link.

http://www.bmwmoa.org/forum/showthre...ger-maintainer
    '98 BMW Z3 Roadster, '00 R1100RT

If you insist on exercising a right to burn our flag, first be so kind as to wrap yourself in it and then douse yourself with gasoline just before you strike the match.

Re: Optimate Charger

I purchased the Optimate 4 Can-Bus charger when I got my f650gs. The dealer recommended it, and I've had no problems. I plug it into the power outlet. This is my 2nd winter using it.
    Tom
    Findlay, OH
    F650GS