Thread: iPod Cable

iPod Cable

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by rockbottom; 06-07-2014 at 01:11 PM.

It is. I found mine as an off brand on Amazon for $20, but they all work the same. Strangely, I haven't found the iPhone 5 specific plug and have to have an adapter.
    2014 R1200GS Adventure

cable to rt1200

Will this cable plugged into the audio system of a 2012 rt 1200 and a gps transmit on the speakers of the radio?

Does the $80 BMW cable do anything special? I can't seem to get my RT to recognize my iPod using the stock iPod and a stereo cables.
    Greg
    South Central Valley, California
    2014 R1200RTW, 2013 Paiggio BV350, 2010 Yamaha TW200

Quote Originally Posted by greg View Post
    Does the $80 BMW cable do anything special? I can't seem to get my RT to recognize my iPod using the stock iPod and a stereo cables.
    Not that the $20 cable from Amazon won't. It does require one of the special cables to use the iPod's functions.
    2014 R1200GS Adventure

Quote Originally Posted by kurt1305 View Post
    Not that the $20 cable from Amazon won't. It does require one of the special cables to use the iPod's functions.
    There in lies the confusion. I used the iPod cable, the same one that allows all the functions in the car system (both Honda and Dodge). The Bike doesn't recognize the iPod. It will play the music through a stereo cable and the Aux setting. I can't see the BMW cable doing anything the pair of cables I'm using doesn't already do.
    Greg

It has a computer chip that is lacking in your setup.
    2014 R1200GS Adventure

Thanks... leave it to BMW to figure a way to get more money out of us.
    Greg

ipod GPS

Sometimes i think I'm losing it with this tech stuff but thanks for the help here . I have just hooked up an ipod with a separate usb cable and separate jack cable and after switching through all the options that appear on the screen nothing , so that's the problem a chip in the cable that i'm missing? I don't like that bmw does that they have enough of my money. So if i get their cable maybe i can use my auto GPS ( not motor cycle specific GPS) with a jack output and run it through my speakers on the 2012 RT, and if so what option do I select with the buttons on the stereo is it the mode or is it src button ,whatever that is. No what a minute , Excuse me i'm thinking as i type here, I guess that won't work either as the GPS has a solo jack usually W/O a usb outlet along side it so the bmw cable wouldn't work on the GPS. Drat!

Actually it might. The USB will power the GPS via the GPS USB port and the Stereo output would just (most likely) output to one channel. I would look for a specific Mono to Stereo cable so you don't short something in the BMW side of the port. Some GPSes will output music so a regular stereo cable would work in that case.

I did find that a Thumb Drive will work pretty good for music in the USB port. I found a utility on the net, search for playlist export to thumb drive, that allowed the thumb drive to look just like the iPod. Playlists and all. A solution that sorta works. It does leave you without music in the ears when off the motorcycle. But I guess that's what the iPhone is for
    Greg

cables

sorry greg you lost me on that
    Quote Originally Posted by greg View Post
    Actually it might. The USB will power the GPS via the GPS USB port and the Stereo output would just (most likely) output to one channel. I would look for a specific Mono to Stereo cable so you don't short something in the BMW side of the port. Some GPSes will output music so a regular stereo cable would work in that case.

I did find that a Thumb Drive will work pretty good for music in the USB port. I found a utility on the net, search for playlist export to thumb drive, that allowed the thumb drive to look just like the iPod. Playlists and all. A solution that sorta works. It does leave you without music in the ears when off the motorcycle. But I guess that's what the iPhone is for

The iPod has a cable with a USB connector that is used for connecting to your car stereo and other "players". It's also used for the charger. Plug that cable into the BMW USB port to provide power. Then use the Stereo outlet (earphone) to connect to the BMW jack. This is assuming you have the same setup that is on the 2014 RT, a molded cable with a USB Female port and a Stereo port.
    Greg