Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: K1 vs. other K bikes

  1. #1
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Santa Clarita, Ca.
    Posts
    12

    Question K1 vs. other K bikes

    I'm considering the purchase of a 1990 K1. Please don't turn this thread into a K1 praise or bash. I am aware of all of the issues surrounding the bike. What I need to know is for those of you who have owned a variety of K bikes, including a K1, what are the ergonomics like in relation to the other K bikes of its time? I've owned quite a few K's but never a K1 (k100's, K1100RS, K1200). All of the K's that I've owned from the same era as the K1 fit me very comfortably. Did BMW change the seating position on the K1?
    Current Rides;
    1999 R1100S
    1988 Ducati Paso 750

  2. #2
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    865
    Quote Originally Posted by ahdoman View Post
    I'm considering the purchase of a 1990 K1. Please don't turn this thread into a K1 praise or bash. I am aware of all of the issues surrounding the bike. What I need to know is for those of you who have owned a variety of K bikes, including a K1, what are the ergonomics like in relation to the other K bikes of its time? I've owned quite a few K's but never a K1 (k100's, K1100RS, K1200). All of the K's that I've owned from the same era as the K1 fit me very comfortably. Did BMW change the seating position on the K1?

    OK , adhering to your request. I have always liked them, rode a friends a-bit, but never bought one for one main reason. My most & favorite use for a motorcycle is travel. And I could never figure a way to put useful luggage on a K-1 without ruining the appearance .

  3. #3
    No longer a member here
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    1,432
    The seating position on the K1 is slightly more aggressive than on its next kin, the K100/1100RS. The footpegs are slightly higher and further back. The handlebars are slightly lower. Overall, it is "less comfortable", it has a more "sporty" approach. The rear edge of the fairing may prevent using K100 4-valve footpeg plates, which physically fit, but you may have difficulty getting your legs in and out of the fairing. A fiend of mine, had the seat redone to raise the seating surface by an inch and that helped him a bit. I am 5'8" and the K1 is my most uncomfortable bike and I own a Ducati 916SPS and a 1098R
    There is a unique luggage set for the K1 and combined with the tankbag, you will have quite a bit of capacity if you travel alone. I would not consider the K1 to be a great bike for travel.

  4. #4
    Dances With Sheep GREGFEELER's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Boise, ID
    Posts
    3,217
    Quote Originally Posted by EMSimon View Post
    The seating position on the K1 is slightly more aggressive than on its next kin, the K100/1100RS. The footpegs are slightly higher and further back. The handlebars are slightly lower. Overall, it is "less comfortable", it has a more "sporty" approach. The rear edge of the fairing may prevent using K100 4-valve footpeg plates, which physically fit, but you may have difficulty getting your legs in and out of the fairing. A fiend of mine, had the seat redone to raise the seating surface by an inch and that helped him a bit. I am 5'8" and the K1 is my most uncomfortable bike and I own a Ducati 916SPS and a 1098R
    There is a unique luggage set for the K1 and combined with the tankbag, you will have quite a bit of capacity if you travel alone. I would not consider the K1 to be a great bike for travel.
    I think that is a very accurate description based on my experience. I have a K1, and have a K1200RS and a K75S, and have ridden K100 & K1100 RSs, and that's how I would describe the seating position. Having said that, I've taken my K1 on several 400+ mile rides and the worst part was the seat which became uncomfortable to me after about 100 miles. But for that I not sure the other ergos would have been that bad, but then I prefer an "RS" riding position.
    Greg Feeler
    BMW MOA Director & Ambassador
    1972 R75/5, 1990 K75, 1990 K1, 1992 K75S, 2003 K1200RS

  5. #5
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Santa Clarita, Ca.
    Posts
    12
    Thanks for the input guys. I have also always preferred the RS riding position. I am 6'2" with a good long reach. My other bikes currently are an R1100S and a Ducati Paso 750. Both of which I can ride for fairly long rides without a problem. The riding position of the K1 looks a lot like the Ducati Paso.

    Is the seat pan on the K1 the same as the K100 or K1100? If so, I can always build myself a custom seat if I need a little more height.
    Current Rides;
    1999 R1100S
    1988 Ducati Paso 750

  6. #6
    Dances With Sheep GREGFEELER's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Boise, ID
    Posts
    3,217
    Quote Originally Posted by ahdoman View Post
    Is the seat pan on the K1 the same as the K100 or K1100? If so, I can always build myself a custom seat if I need a little more height.
    I've not dissembled the seat on my K1 but will say that they are not the same. The rear seat cowling is different, and I believe the rear frame section is different as well. Personally, I would want to retain the look of the bike, so would rebuild the stock seat rather than try to graft on a K100/1100 seat. Like with all things - likely best to check it out yourself and see if perhaps you feel you need to do anything to it at all.
    Greg Feeler
    BMW MOA Director & Ambassador
    1972 R75/5, 1990 K75, 1990 K1, 1992 K75S, 2003 K1200RS

  7. #7
    No longer a member here
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    1,432
    With you being 6-2, the biggest problem I predict you will have, are your legs and the footpeg position relative to the seat. There is a design problem with the K1: They wanted to give the bike ground clearance for lean angles. But they also wanted a two-seater - room for a passenger. As a result, the driver pegs are too high and too far foward. This will cramp you up quite a bit. Imagine you sit down and raise your knees and then move the feet forward.
    This is why sportbikes have "rear-sets". When you move the pegs back, your knees drop down and instead of having your upper thighs in a more horizontal position, they will be in a more vertical position, giving you more room. If you ride solo exclusively on the K1, try to locate your pegs backward. It will help a great deal.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •