Thread: Remus Exhaust 1992 K1100LT Question

Halifax and Larry's River, Nova Scotia, Canada

Remus Exhaust 1992 K1100LT Question

Apparently these exhaust are still available. My stock is welded and seems to be holding but I know that it will misbehave again so I am exploring an alternative. At $1,100 does it make any sense to purchase or am I just as well welding the stock....again? I'm not really looking at a performance ie power question but, rather, a no maintenance/nice sounding addition. We really like this bike but just want to upgrade a little. Thoughts? - Bob
    saltyfogriders@gmail.com
    Salty Fog Riders Motorcycle Tourism Promotions
    Larry's River, Nova Scotia, CANADA

Mendocino, CA USA about as far left as you can get in the lower 48
    My understanding is that the ones that have required welding will again and continue to do so, but I am no welder. Mine has been fine from the beginning. Stay in Tune's are twice the price of the Remus, but I believe these are the only two still making them for our bikes, or at least for the RS.
    Jim Douglas '00 K1200RS >135,000 miles my primary bike again,
    Gone: '09 K1300S sold @ 22k mi, '93 K1100RS traded @ 78k mi, '85 K100RS sold @ 44k mi
    '06 Kaw 650R track bike sold
    http://www.seagullbb.com/

Quote Originally Posted by tourunigo View Post
    Apparently these exhaust are still available. My stock is welded and seems to be holding but I know that it will misbehave again so I am exploring an alternative. At $1,100 does it make any sense to purchase or am I just as well welding the stock....again? I'm not really looking at a performance ie power question but, rather, a no maintenance/nice sounding addition. We really like this bike but just want to upgrade a little. Thoughts? - Bob
    Sounds like the same problem as on my '91 K100RS. My bike has under 30K miles and has had the exhaust welded twice - last time just before the end of the riding season. Advice I received on this forum is to advertise for a used Remus - maybe a bike which was totaled in a right side slide. Yep, that exhaust even if it is welded by an expert - and that IS required - will likely to continue to break. (They break just where the four pipes enter the muffler.) I like my bike too but know it is not worth much. Hate to spend big bucks on a maybe $3000 bike. MOST DEFINITELY, do not get another factory exhaust system! Those aftermarket exhausts on these bikes were not sold for performance or sound but rather to replace another piece of bad engineering by BMW.
    Doug
    1992 K100RS

I've had a Remus on my 93 K1100RS for several years now and have been happy with it.
    Mike Currin
    93 K1100RS / EML Speed 2000 sidecar
    89 Honda GB 500
    67 Triumph 650 Chopper