Thread: 2005 R1200ST - Alarm battery replacement

2005 R1200ST - Alarm battery replacement

I have looked and asked the dealer, but he has nothing either. Does anyone have any instructions on how to get at the factory alarm under the tail piece on the 2005 R1200ST? I worked on it and was never able to get at the alarm, so I must be missing something. I have the batteries, now if I could just get at the alarm to install them, that would be a good thing.
    2010 328i xDrive
    2005 R1200ST

Quote Originally Posted by mschack View Post
    I have looked and asked the dealer, but he has nothing either. Does anyone have any instructions on how to get at the factory alarm under the tail piece on the 2005 R1200ST? I worked on it and was never able to get at the alarm, so I must be missing something. I have the batteries, now if I could just get at the alarm to install them, that would be a good thing.
    Well, my heartfelt thanks goes out to Kate at A&S, http://www.ascycles.com/, who came through with the three PDF files that showed exactly how to replace the alarm batteries on my 2005 R1200ST. I had only purchased some items from A&S in the past, and fired them off an email, asking for help, as I had exhausted just about every means at my disposal. Wasn't holding out much hope but then, when you least expect it. There is someone who comes through. Kate ... thank you from

Turns out that you have to remove the plastic back fender and come at it from underneath I wonder who designed this. Anyways, one hour later my batteries are in and I am enjoying "two fingers" of 16 y.o. Lagavulin. Kate ..... thank you

As soon as I can figure out how to post the three PDF files, as they are a little to big, I will do so.
    2010 328i xDrive
    2005 R1200ST

Ok, for those who are interested, here is how it is done according to BMW instructions. Enjoy . . .

Alarm Step 1.jpgAlarm Step 2.jpg
    2010 328i xDrive
    2005 R1200ST

And then you get access to the batteries . . .

Alarm Step 3a.jpgAlarm Step 3b.jpg
    2010 328i xDrive
    2005 R1200ST

Weird that the unit is battery powered while it's mounted on the bike. Was it an option or was it added after the fact?
    Nate R
    2013 R1200RT 90th - "Tyr" - 28k - Purchased 12/13/2013 brand new!
    2007 R1200S - "Sexy Beast" - 28k - sold
    2006 R1200RT "Wōden" - 84k - sold

Quote Originally Posted by natrab View Post
    Weird that the unit is battery powered while it's mounted on the bike. Was it an option or was it added after the fact?
    Came that way but at least I am good for a while again.
    2010 328i xDrive
    2005 R1200ST

Quote Originally Posted by natrab View Post
    The battery is a back up. It prevents someone from disabling the alarm by disconnecting the regular battery.
    Karl
    2007 R1200ST

Quote Originally Posted by kthutchinson View Post
    The battery is a back up. It prevents someone from disabling the alarm by disconnecting the regular battery.
    Hmmmm . . . thank you for that bit of info. I keep learning more and more about this bike
    2010 328i xDrive
    2005 R1200ST