Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: About had it with Gerbing!

About had it with Gerbing!

Last winter I purchased a pair of Gerbing heated pants to go with my heated jacket. I used Gerbing's sizing chart to order my size, but when they arrived they were way too tight across the crotch. Now I realize that heated gear is supposed to be snug, but this was ridiculous, and I'm a very standard 5'10" 175 lbs. Revzilla took them back, but the next size up was out of stock until summer. By then, heated gear was the furthest thing from my mind. I just re-ordered the next size up, M-R, but what arrived were huge! To get the inseam to fit properly, I have to hike them up to my sternum, like a pair of waders! What's the deal with Gerbing's sizing? Nothing really seems to fit right.

I've also had problems with wire and plug failure. I just got the jacket back from having the main plug repaired. Not, after using it only a couple of times, the glove input plug failed. Seems like a weak spot to me, and perhaps they should be using a heaver duty wire.

Has anyone tried the heated gear that Cycle Gear Sells. Their heated pants are much less expensive than Gerbing, and though I've never used them, the pair I tried on in the store fit great. I'm thinking of sending these Gerbing pants back and getting the Cycle Gear pair, but would be curious to hear any first hand opinions.

Thanks!

I got mine from the iron butt web site, been happy with it, brand Is WIDDER I believe

I feel your pain - been there with similar problems. Now, if I buy riding gear of any kind - helmets, jackets, riding pants, heated stuff, boots - I buy it at a dealership where I can try it on, be sure it fits, and am sure it is what I want.

I live 53 miles from the nearest town, about 250 miles from the nearest motorcycle dealership of any sort, and it is at least 250 miles to El Paso and 400 miles to Austin to a BMW dealership. We mail order lots of things but riding gear is not among that. It is too important, and the aggravation of getting, returning, getting, returning, ad naseum is too great.

The exception is Aerostich but only because I have been to Duluth, they have measured me, and I know exactly what size Roadcrafter I take.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://www.bigbend.net/users/glaves

Quote Originally Posted by t6pilot View Post
    I got mine from the iron butt web site, been happy with it, brand Is WIDDER I believe
    Great stuff. Out of business several years I believe.
    Kevin Huddy
    Intrepid Incompetent
    Tm Pterodactyl MT Outpost

Powerlet Rapidfire Jacket Liner for me

I ended up getting a Powerlet jacket with the heated sleeves. One can change the heat (105 watts for my K1600 or 65 watts for the F800) by unplugging/plugging together a connector in the sleeve or using the rheostat. It works well and is compatible with the Powerlet sockets wired directly to the battery, which I installed. I can only use the OEM sockets at the 65 watt setting. I got it because I heard consistently bad stories about Gerbings. It sure is toasty and apparently well made. I will have to update this post in a few years to verify durability.
    Andre Boening
    2010 F800GS and 2012 K1600GT

+1 on the Powerlet gear. Got it from Nick Plenzick, good vendor. Here's the latest thread on his company:

http://www.bmwmoa.org/forum/showthre...ht=#post915139

Fiance just got the Cycle Gear stuff and likes it as well. But he had nothing to compare it to. He would definitely suggest going to a store to try it as the sizing was strange. Good luck!
    Tonya
    2007 F800ST - Lovin' it!!

Quote Originally Posted by BONWIT View Post
    Has anyone tried the heated gear that Cycle Gear Sells. Their heated pants are much less expensive than Gerbing, and though I've never used them, the pair I tried on in the store fit great. I'm thinking of sending these Gerbing pants back and getting the Cycle Gear pair, but would be curious to hear any first hand opinions.
    This is my second season with the Cycle Gear (Sedici Hotwired) jacket liner, and I'm quite pleased. Admittedly, I don't wear it as hard as those in colder areas, so I can't comment on durability. But for my morning commute, which can easily start at 35-38 degrees for a couple months of the year, it's quite functional.

I will say it's not the most intelligently designed; the controller location inside the jacket is particularly obnoxious. Since it doesn't hold your setting after being turned off, that means your jacket must be open when you plug into the bike's power so you can turn the jacket on. I assume, though, that it'd work with other controllers as well.

Overall, it's good value-for-money, and I note that it's 20% off today and tomorrow. I may go get the pants.
    2000 R1100RT / 1987 K75C (RIP) / Santa Clarita, CA

My girlfriend has the Sedici Hotwired jacket liner. She is 5'1" with a D/DD chest and wears a size 0 or 2 jeans, so gear is ALWAYS a struggle to get something that fits even close to properly. She loves the liner and it fits great. We were able to try out jackets at the IMS in NYC in December, and she got the Tourmaster Transition 3 in a woman's small and it also fit great, with lots of adjustability.
    ~Dan

2013 Yamaha XT250 * 2012 Kawasaki Ninja 250 * 2007 BMW G650X XChallenge * 2007 BMW R1200ST * 2003 Yamaha PW80

Gerbing

My old Gerbing liner was not providing power to my right glove; so I ordered a new liner. First day wearing it (32 degrees), it provided very uneven heat to the point my shoulders were very cold, I turned it up to try to warm my shoulders and ended up with a SEVERE burn to my stomach! Been 2 weeks and still hurts a lot!

I will wait until after winter to send the old liner in for repair. With the heated grips I am ok down to about 40 degrees.
    Larry
    Midnight Blue 2013 BMW R1200RT (purchased 9/24/2013)
    2010 Harley Road Glide (gone after 61,964 miles)
    2001 Harley Electra Glide (gone after 138,048 miles)

Warm and Safe.....nuff said

Quote Originally Posted by nytrashman View Post
    Warm and Safe.....nuff said
    Another vote for Warm & Safe.
    Mike, the company owner will personally discuss and advise.

I've been using his gear since 2008 and have had nothing but good luck.

Also they were the OEM for Powerlet, Firstgear and others.
    They have never had to advertise.
    That says something right there.
    Kansas. Eleven curves in three hundred eighteen miles...
    '09 R1200RT
    N0PGH
    Iron Butt Assoc. #47865

Quote Originally Posted by brisco View Post
    Another vote for Warm & Safe.
    Mike, the company owner will personally discuss and advise.
    Do you know if their stuff works interchangeably with Gerbing stuff. I only need a new jacket liner and have brand new Gerbing gloves and a Gerbing controller.

The new Gerbing jacket liner burned the hell out of my stomach so I returned it. Not too anxious to try another Gerbing liner.
    Larry

Quote Originally Posted by xlarry View Post
    Do you know if their stuff works interchangeably with Gerbing stuff. I only need a new jacket liner and have brand new Gerbing gloves and a Gerbing controller.

I believe all the new stuff in heated gear uses coaxial connectors, so you can mix and match different brands.
    Lee 2011 K1300S
    MOA # 30878
    Past BMW Bikes, 2003 K1200RS, 1991 K75S, 1987 K75T, 1984 R100RT

I have a W&S controller on a Gerbing jacket liner. I have used it also on a W&S liner. Before it shot craps we had a Gerbing controller on a W&S liner.

So, my conclusion is yes - they will work with each other.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://www.bigbend.net/users/glaves

Quote Originally Posted by Lee View Post
    I believe all the new stuff in heated gear uses coaxial connectors, so you can mix and match different brands.

I guess my only problem is the pants liner uses the old style connector. I have an adapter from the coaxial connector to the old style connector on the Gerbing jacket liner. I guess those would work on the pants liner to the coaxial connector.
    Larry