Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Stainless steel fasteners

What's that noise...? basketcase's Avatar

Stainless steel fasteners

So this afternoon I'm looking at the front of the RT and notice a (fairing) fastener has departed.

Is there a set of stainless steel replacement fasteners on the market someplace, or is this something one has to just put together on his own?
    '98 BMW Z3 Roadster, '00 R1100RT

If you insist on exercising a right to burn our flag, first be so kind as to wrap yourself in it and then douse yourself with gasoline just before you strike the match.

I've replaced some of the fairing fasteners on my RS. I bought them at my local BMW shop. They didn't cost much and they fit exactly.
    Mark M, St. Louis, '13 R1200GS, '01 Super Sherpa
    There are two roads in life; the twisty one is vastly more fun.

Day Dreaming ... happy wanderer's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by basketcase View Post
    So this afternoon I'm looking at the front of the RT and notice a (fairing) fastener has departed.

Is there a set of stainless steel replacement fasteners on the market someplace, or is this something one has to just put together on his own?
    A Google search of "r1100rt stainless screws kit" yields dozens of possibilities including this one from several BMW dealers made by Hornig.
    http://www.sierrabmwonline.com/produ...0-70020-p-1653
    MJM - BeeCeeBeemers Motorcycle Club Vancouver B.C.
    '81 R80G/S, '82 R100RS, '00 R1100RT

Well reading up on the topic it seems stainless is not always the best choice as disparate metals don't always play nice together.

hw, thanks for the link, and to all for the feedback.

If you insist on exercising a right to burn our flag, first be so kind as to wrap yourself in it and then douse yourself with gasoline just before you strike the match.

Some if not all of the aftermarket screws I have found don't have the little tapered point on the end which is crucial in fitting the screw back into the fastener clip. We all know that the tupperware on these bikes only truly fits perfectly one time, and that was at the factory. It takes a little nudge here and there to get them to fit, and the tapered end on factory screws helps prevent the dreaded cross threading.
    Mike Davis
    "Old n Slow" It's a way of life!
    1985 K100RT

1998 R1100RT

Quote Originally Posted by oldnslow View Post
    We all know that the tupperware on these bikes only truly fits perfectly one time, and that was at the factory.
    Isnt that the truth! All the tupperware fasteners on my 03 RT are stainless that have been either painted or coated black by BMW.

Quote Originally Posted by basketcase View Post
    Well reading up on the topic it seems stainless is not always the best choice as disparate metals don't always play nice together.

hw, thanks for the link, and to all for the feedback.
    A light coat of Never Seize will minimize this problem. Particularly when threading SS into Aluminum.
    Outboard engines operated in salt water are extreme example.
    '
    Ufda happens..........

It's all about the details.

The black screw heads can be buffed to the silver pretty easily. Don't have to buy new and they have the pointy nose.
    '04 Silver R1150RT "Big Oel". '05 Yellow KLR 650
    '00 Red Suzuki Bandit 600
    '65 Allstate/Puch 250 twingle
    "I just want somewhere to ride and food when I get there."

+1 on oldnslow's comment. Make sure you get screws with the tapered endpoints.
    Gear Up and Ride Safe
    Jim Rogers
    2010 R12GSA aka Heidi
    Yorktown, Va

Replace them all with the newer T25 style from BMW. Wider heads so you don't dimple the plastic as much, pointed ends and good threads.

The aftermarket ones are IMO junk. Typically they have tiny heads, square ends, and cut (not rolled) threads.

Look for the part numbers on the R1150RT and R1200RT fiche or in the hardware list on my website. You want all 16mm bolts except 20mm under the mirrors.
    Anton Largiader 72724
    largiader.com bmwra.org

No longer a member here
    In general, I will not use ss fasteners on any of my bikes for mounting structural and functional essential components. Stainless steel has a different yield that will cause the fastener to settle and come loose easier than conventional steel. Using ss to attach cosmetic or plastic items may be O.K.

Quote Originally Posted by EMSimon View Post
    In general, I will not use ss fasteners on any of my bikes for mounting structural and functional essential components. Stainless steel has a different yield that will cause the fastener to settle and come loose easier than conventional steel. Using ss to attach cosmetic or plastic items may be O.K.
    Agreed, good point.
    '
    Ufda happens..........

It's all about the details.

Rt

I just wanted to say a couple things. My RT has about 40 of these fillister head screws holding the plastic on.
    These are a major PIA just by virtue of being numerous.

Especially when you are pretty sure you have it fixed but you don't really have it fixed.

I developed a list of "don't likes" about these screws.
    - The Allen socket is only 3mm when they're born.
    - They're painted when they're born.
    - Rust slowly makes that socket somewhere between 3 and 4mm.
    - There are at least 3 different lengths. Do not put a long one into the fuel tank.
    - The aluminum capture nuts molded into the tank develop a "favorite" screw over time.
    If you try to put a different one in there it will cross and bind.

So I bought the Hornig SS kit. Observations.
    - It came with the correct number of screws and an excess of nylon washers.
    - Not sure they are the same lengths as original, had to trim a few of them.
    - SS is much softer than the original steel and the 3mm socket strips easily
    this shouldn't be a problem on the tupperware application.
    It would be extra nice though if the kit came with a couple extra screws.
    - The SS screws don't have a taper on the nose. I dremmel'd a taper into some of the more reluctant ones.
    - On the tank, some screws went right in, some refused.

I dremmel'd a "tooth" into one of the old steel screws and used it as a thread chaser on the aluminum capture nuts.
    I also loosened the gas cap ring Torx screws enough for the center panel to move a little.

Summation: They look pretty good, though I liked the original black-on-black better. They don't rust.

Thanks again to all for the various feedback.

After reading all this I'm satisfied that ss is not worth the effort, and I don't need a complete replacement set. However, I would like to obtain a quantity of OEM quality fasteners to keep in the tool chest.

When I rode the CDT (dual sport trip) in 2010 I picked up a box of replacement fasteners at the KTM dealer in Silver City, NM that had an assortment of pieces that came in very handy in the 1,700 miles I was on dirt roads and fire trails between there and Yellowstone.

Does anyone have a SKU number for such a box that would work for an R1100RT?

The new-style BMW SS screws that I like are available in black also. Again, they are the best option: wide face, no washers needed, pointed, good threads, etc. Scott Lambert pretty much hit all of the points on what's wrong with the aftermarket ones.

I can certainly put together a kit for anyone who doesn't want to track down the parts. But it would be far simpler if you just ordered your own from your local dealer.

06 32 7 651 211 - 12mm silver
    06 32 7 651 212 - 16mm silver
    06 32 7 657 966 - 20mm silver

46 63 2 325 997 - 12mm black
    46 63 2 325 998 - 16mm black
    46 63 2 325 999 - 20mm black

For the R1100RT you want all 16mm with 20mm under the mirrors. Forget the longer ones on the foot peg plates; not needed in my experience but get them if you want. So that's I think 28 16s and two 20s? They're a whopping $1.43 each. If you want even longer ones under the mirrors just to tell them apart, you can get 25mm silver ones as part 63 13 7 655 661. Don't know about black, but they're not seen so silver will be fine.

If you have a K12, you will want some of the 12mm ones.

Using ss to attach cosmetic or plastic items may be O.K.
    That ship sailed long ago; BMW has been using SS since the turn of the century for fairings (which is what this thread is about). "May be OK"? I'm just not seeing the catastrophic fairing screw failures that would indicate otherwise! At least not with the high-quality BMW-supplied screws.
    Anton Largiader 72724
    largiader.com bmwra.org