Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Salty Fog Riders Rally 2013: The Report

Unfunded content provider tommcgee's Avatar
    Maaaaaan, now I'm really sorry I had to turn around in St. John. Awesome pictures, thanks to all who took them and to Bob and Mary for posting up this report. At least I did get to see the two of them in Massachusetts last June!
    Salty Fog Rally 2007, 2009, 2011, 2012, AND LOOKING FORWARD TO 2014!

-Tom (KA1TOX)

Halifax and Larry's River, Nova Scotia, Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by tommcgee View Post
    Maaaaaan, now I'm really sorry I had to turn around in St. John. Awesome pictures, thanks to all who took them and to Bob and Mary for posting up this report. At least I did get to see the two of them in Massachusetts last June!
    Much better to attend to what you must than to proceed. As the first ever person to our rally (except for the day that Ron came a week early... but that's another story) ..... your room awaits.....and your year five award also awaits. Good to see you in MA though!

And speaking of prizes/awards: After draws for mugs and such, the grand prize is again one of Mary's paintings. This year the prize went to our resident astronomer and Guide To The Stars: Quinn

Last edited by tourunigo; 01-05-2014 at 12:20 PM.
    saltyfogriders@gmail.com
    Salty Fog Riders Motorcycle Tourism Promotions
    Larry's River, Nova Scotia, CANADA

GOOD MORNIN' LARRY'S RIVER !

Ok, it's just a bit of fog but it will burn off...... won't it? Maybe but let's eat!

saltyfogriders@gmail.com

And those photos just reinforce my SIG line.
    I used to post here, but now I don't.

Quote Originally Posted by sibud View Post
    And those photos just reinforce my SIG line.
    .... and that's just a little (sad pun) taste of what was there.
    saltyfogriders@gmail.com

on the road...

First, a group photo in front of the painted rocks depicting the early arrival of the Acadians to the Larry's River area as well as referencing the later expulsion of Acadians from Nova Scotia by the British. It is also interesting to note that Larry's River is named for an Irishman moose hunter from Halifax by the name of Larry Keating. His hunting camp, as far as we can determine, was just about in front of our home at the river's edge. Our house was built about 1830 and Larry was camped prior to that. Poor ol' Larry gets no further referencing in local history (and to make matters worse, the old maps show the river as Northwest River). This is an odd hiccup in local historical lore. However, Mary's last name, Delorey, appears repeatedly in the long history of the area. Mary's River? I digress.

(Shorti is missing because she's taking the picture)

... and then ONWARD! Through the Fog...

saltyfogriders@gmail.com

(archives photo)

After meandering up to Little Narrows and crossing on the Cable Ferry, we follow the shore along Bras d'Or Lakes and cross at Chapel Road - a tiny connector road to Route 4. After lunch at Rita's Tea Room in Big Pond, we arrive in Louisbourg.

Setting up in Louisbourg (archives photo)

saltyfogriders@gmail.com

Uh oh.... archive photo's

...can only mean one thing! A wet campsite on a quaint harbor, just around the bay from a tall lighthouse enshrouded in mist.
    But with fresh seafood, a "spirits" depot, and live theater Celtic music... how good can it get?
    Well, just down on the point is a huge fortress in the fog! You WIN...we watch. .

"three-bowl"... SFRR 11/12

Quote Originally Posted by flyhi2cfar View Post
    ...can only mean one thing! A wet campsite on a quaint harbor, just around the bay from a tall lighthouse enshrouded in mist.
    But with fresh seafood, a "spirits" depot, and live theater Celtic music... how good can it get?
    Well, just down on the point is a huge fortress in the fog! You WIN...we watch. .

"three-bowl"... SFRR 11/12
    It's an 'honesty in reporting' habit . I find that sometimes a good archives picture will smooth out the transition of pictures. However, except for that picture of Mary, I limit pics to signs and such for information as well that transition implant. Note will indicate the implant. So..... back to The Ride. - Bob
    saltyfogriders@gmail.com

Setup was damp but manageable. The plan is setup, a beer run, supper at the Lobster Kettle
    ( http://www.lobsterkettle.com/ ) and then the Louisbourg Playhouse ( www.louisbourgplayhouse.ca ).

Wayne, who seems to have traces of SurvivorMan in him, makes attempts to repair prior tent damage. His attempt gave birth to Frankentent. It proved to be an unforgiving creation during the evening rain.

saltyfogriders@gmail.com

After a fine meal at the Lobster Kettle we head down to the Playhouse to see Jennifer Roland (and band) (http://www.sfcelticmusic.com/JenniferRoland/ ).

(trying to get video to work but it's not working as needed)

That night some chose to sleep in the Group Meeting Room. Very kind of Mary, the manager of the Louisbourg campground ( http://louisbourg.com/motorhomepark/ ) We are always welcomed here and treated like royalty! Great location.

NOTE: editing today to say that I had to attend to some other duties BUT will be back to complete the exciting adventures of the Salty Fog Riders Rally 2013 before the week is done.
    Last edited by tourunigo; 01-27-2014 at 11:12 AM.
    saltyfogriders@gmail.com

I have a couple more photos. And here's a short 90 second video of the "typical" weather. Mary and I had a great time and can vouch for the B&Bs across Nova Scotia.
    Tom Wright - South Jersey
    2012 BMW R1200 GSA, and a 2nd or 3rd something rideable & 42 assorted training motorcycles.
    RiderCoach

Hi -just dropping in. I'm not going to the MOA National this summer, in fact I don't plan on crossing the mississippi. Will go to the RA rally in Barber and spend some time down there. Long range planning is to check out Newfoundland and then hit the Salty Fog.
    Harry
    Harry Costello...nowadays I got me two good wheels
    And I seek refuge in aluminum and steel
    It takes me out there for just a little while
    And the years fall away with every mile

[QUOTE=RoadRdr;918375]I have a couple more photos. And here's a short 90 second video of the "typical" weather. Mary and I had a great time and can vouch for the B&Bs across Nova Scotia.

Thanks for posting Tom. We REALLY must get one of those cameras! Have a couple of pictures of you and Mary coming up in the latter part of this report (yes, I'm a tad slow getting back to it but it will happen). - Bob
    saltyfogriders@gmail.com

Great report, looking forward to the rest of it. Picture of Wayne Wayne.jpg